The ESP beast has landed!!!

• Thread starter Ross82
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ross82

Reaction score
lol wow, you guys unit nomenclature is weird. I was in 4th squad, POL section, Distro Platoon, F company, 1st Battalion 68th Armor Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, US Army ;)

Well my full unit designation would be, dependant on what role im in:

1 section, charlie fire team, 4 platoon, B Company, 2nd Battallion Royal Welsh Regiment, Prince Of Wales Division, 1st Mechanised Brigade.

So its not so dissimilar really. The Rorkes Drift bit is part of our Coy. designation since we are the descendant Coy. of the South Wales Borderers one that fought at Rorkes Drift in the Zulu wars. (Quite a proud honour)

We're an Armored Infantry company and use the Warrior AFV's, im primarily the Platoon Commander or Warrior Sgt's driver but im also a Javelin Gunner and Team Medic so i could be all over the place.

Just my luck to be hit when im not sat safe behind several inches of steel :noplease:

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
I have always loved the ESP NTs!!! They are such slick guitars. Nice axe man!!

five_magics

Reaction score
Does the 45 mm nut feel too small?
I'm gasing really hard on an NT7, but the fact that it has the nut size of some 6 strings is king of holding me back... but maybe it's a non isssue?
I've never tried one that's why I'm wondering.

Tritono

Reaction score
hey Ross congratulation! I need to ask how it plays. How big is the neck? is comfortable? currently I have a RG1527z and I hate the floating trem but I like the feel of the neck. I need to replace my guitar but I need to buy something comfortable. Is more or less comfortable than an Ibanez the NT 7 ? Thank you, and enjoy your life and guitar :)

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
Congrats on your axe sounds like you earned it. I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Ross82

Reaction score
Are you Royal Welsh? Or Welsh Guards? or did you join a non-welsh regt.?

Sick ESP btw!

Im Royal Welsh mate :eek:)

hey Ross congratulation! I need to ask how it plays. How big is the neck? is comfortable? currently I have a RG1527z and I hate the floating trem but I like the feel of the neck. I need to replace my guitar but I need to buy something comfortable. Is more or less comfortable than an Ibanez the NT 7 ? Thank you, and enjoy your life and guitar :)

Hey buddy,

It plays like a dream, very comfortable and the neck profile is spot on. The nut width is given as 45mm as apposed to 48mm for Ibanez and other ESP 7's. Its only 2mm wider at the nut than standard Ibby 6'rs and you can definately feel it. It can be a bit disorientating at first but it doesn't take long to get used to it. I was away and playing comfortably with 2 hours of picking it up.

The action is excellent, it was good straight out of the box but i got it down further and its currently sitting at 2mm 7th string @ 12th fret and 1mm 1st string @ 12th fret with the tiniest, most insignificant amount of fret slap that it really doesn't even matter.

Sound wise its pretty savage, obviously due to the EMG's its all about the gain and heavy tones. Pure metal bliss!
Clean wise they are very hot and do need a volume roll back to get a proper "Clean" clean sound, but in middle and neck positions and the right amp settings its perfectly capable of providing jazz and blues tones.

The string-thru construction is perfect for messing with tunnings, i currently have mine in drop A# and bounce about around there.

In summary its a very very nice guitar, excellent build, components and playability. I doubt very much you'd be dissapointed :eek:)

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
You deserve every guitar you've ever wanted/will ever want. Thank you.

*thumbs up

DanielKRego

Reaction score
Im Royal Welsh mate :eek:)

Hey buddy,

It plays like a dream, very comfortable and the neck profile is spot on. The nut width is given as 45mm as apposed to 48mm for Ibanez and other ESP 7's. Its only 2mm wider at the nut than standard Ibby 6'rs and you can definately feel it. It can be a bit disorientating at first but it doesn't take long to get used to it. I was away and playing comfortably with 2 hours of picking it up.

The action is excellent, it was good straight out of the box but i got it down further and its currently sitting at 2mm 7th string @ 12th fret and 1mm 1st string @ 12th fret with the tiniest, most insignificant amount of fret slap that it really doesn't even matter.

Sound wise its pretty savage, obviously due to the EMG's its all about the gain and heavy tones. Pure metal bliss!
Clean wise they are very hot and do need a volume roll back to get a proper "Clean" clean sound, but in middle and neck positions and the right amp settings its perfectly capable of providing jazz and blues tones.

The string-thru construction is perfect for messing with tunnings, i currently have mine in drop A# and bounce about around there.

In summary its a very very nice guitar, excellent build, components and playability. I doubt very much you'd be dissapointed :eek:)

I'm considering buying the NT-7 in June, but I had some misgivings about the 45 mm nut. Do you find the string spacing uncomfortably narrow? As in, do you find yourself 'overreaching' with your picking hand, so to speak?

Also, have you tried using fingerstyle or hybrid picking on the NT-7? If so, does the narrower string spacing make fingerpicking more of a squeeze or uncomfortable?

I'd really appreciate if you could help me out, especially with the fingerpicking/hybrid picking bit, because I live in India, and no store here stocks this guitar, I have to get it shipped directly, and I don't want to find myself uncomfortable with the guitar, and have to wait even longer for something else. This should be relevant - I've only played 6 string guitars before, so this will be my first seven.

Grimriffer

Melter of Faces
Reaction score
13 rounds? Holy shit! I though I was tough being shot with a two tazers at the same time.

ESP ftw. The neck profiles on those are pure awesome: round and thin.

five_magics

Reaction score
I'm considering buying the NT-7 in June, but I had some misgivings about the 45 mm nut. Do you find the string spacing uncomfortably narrow? As in, do you find yourself 'overreaching' with your picking hand, so to speak?

Also, have you tried using fingerstyle or hybrid picking on the NT-7? If so, does the narrower string spacing make fingerpicking more of a squeeze or uncomfortable?

I'd really appreciate if you could help me out, especially with the fingerpicking/hybrid picking bit, because I live in India, and no store here stocks this guitar, I have to get it shipped directly, and I don't want to find myself uncomfortable with the guitar, and have to wait even longer for something else. This should be relevant - I've only played 6 string guitars before, so this will be my first seven.

I don't think the smaller nut is going to impact the string spacing close to the bridge that much.
I would be more concerned about how it feels on the lower frets.
Again this is probably a non issue, the 45mm bone nuts have always been on ESP 7s and so far I've seen nobody complain or notice anything abnormal.
I'm going to test the NT7 in a store pretty soon, too bad they don't have it in stock in India :(

DanielKRego

Reaction score
I don't think the smaller nut is going to impact the string spacing close to the bridge that much.
I would be more concerned about how it feels on the lower frets.
Again this is probably a non issue, the 45mm bone nuts have always been on ESP 7s and so far I've seen nobody complain or notice anything abnormal.
I'm going to test the NT7 in a store pretty soon, too bad they don't have it in stock in India :(

Actually, you're right, it wouldn't affect string spacing near the bridge much. But yes, I'm also concerned about spacing near the nut. I wouldn't want the fretboard to feel 'cramped'. I can imagine that to be disorienting and uncomfortable.

When you do test the NT-7, please post your observations here. Thanks!

Ross82

Reaction score

It is noticably narrower, but not uncomfortably so. It only takes a little while of playing for your brain to remap the dimensions of the string spacings and you shouldn't have a problem. The same applies to finger picking too. On initialy trying it i was plucking the odd wrong string here and there but it didnt take long for me to get used to it and adjust.

After having not played guitar at all for over 6 months, and not playing electric properly for years, i've got back up to speed suprisingly quickly and the cramps and spasms are reducing nicely. I think the narrower neck on the NT-7 has definately made it easier to get back into it.

As always i would say to try and play before you buy, especialy at this sort of price range, purely for personal reasurance. But i've found my NT to be an excellent quality guitar all round and well worth the money.

Any more questions and i'll gladly try and help :)

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
Classy guitar, and you've more than earned it, Funnily enough, my grandfather who now lives in Pontypridd served in Malaya in the 50's under the Royal West Kent's (now disbanded) I'm still proud of knowing I have a relative who served...

')