The EVH 5150 III Owners Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wickedout2014

Reaction score
I am a newbie to the tube amp world, need help. I played a 50 watt 5150 in a store and noticed that it seemed to have more gain and was tighter than my week old 50 watt 5150. I have the 2x12 and the one at the store was 1x12 so I initially thought that was the difference. I took my cab to the store and again the head at the store had more gain and was tighter. I then compared my head to the head at the store on the same cab and got the same response. I like the sound of the head at the store better, do you think my head just needs to be broken in or is it a case of no two tube amps are the same?

Take it back to where you bought it from or have it re-tubed. I have had my 5153 for about 2 weeks now and it's amazing sounding out of the box. Even though it's got some breaking in to do. I played one at a GC and mine sounded way better. The one I played at GC was nice sounding but it popped could have been the cabinet. Not sure. So far, so good for me. :metal:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Sleazy D, that case is sick nasty :metal:

That actually reminds me! I put tons of foam around my head so there's not a huge awkward gap between it and the walls of my road case :lol: I'll upload a pic or two of it tomorrow

Sleazy_D

Reaction score
Sleazy D, that case is sick nasty :metal:

That actually reminds me! I put tons of foam around my head so there's not a huge awkward gap between it and the walls of my road case :lol: I'll upload a pic or two of it tomorrow

:agreed:I thought so myself as well. :hbang:

Def dig that case of yours. I was wondering what you would do with the extra space. Post it up when ya get to it son

Sleazy_D

Reaction score
On a side note, I derped hard, it took me 1 month from receiving the head to remember the resonance knob. Wah wah wee wah that thing is effective to say the least. Had it on zero the whole time :poop:

Wickedout2014

Reaction score
Hey bros what's your settings for your amp heads? Throw it out to me. I want try out some different tones later and want to see what works and what doesn't. Thanks mates! You guy's rock!

Tuco Borborygmus

I don't read posts!!
Reaction score
Hey bros what's your settings for your amp heads? Throw it out to me. I want try out some different tones later and want to see what works and what doesn't. Thanks mates! You guy's rock!
Settings vary so I will just give you my settings at this precise moment in time for the track I'm working on
Blue channel :
Gain 1.5
Low 6.5
Mid 9
High 3
Red channel :
Gain 3
Low 8.1
Mid 7.9
High 2
Pres 2
Res 10

:yesway:

lovehifi

Reaction score
Well look what FedEx just dropped off:) Now to do some playing and speaker break in!

DSC01101.JPG

mniel8195

Reaction score
i love my evh but my ch 2 sounds horrible with the pickups i have. I have had it looked at and it just does not work.

lovehifi

Reaction score
i love my evh but my ch 2 sounds horrible with the pickups i have. I have had it looked at and it just does not work.

What PUs are you using? So far my Strat, Les Paul and my PRS with P90s sound great but I play classic and 80s rock and clean. Not so much metal. I just have sat down with my new EVH for about an hour and now have to find the right tone between my amp and HD500x. We shall see.

mniel8195

Reaction score
ceramic warpig. I guess its a problem with the heads made in vietnam. there is a big thread on rigtalk about it. I wish i could use ch2 because sometimes i get tired of how over the top ch 3 is but sounds horrible. To have it modded would change the sound of the ch 2 and probably cost more than the amp is worth so i decided against it.

lovehifi

Reaction score
ceramic warpig. I guess its a problem with the heads made in vietnam. there is a big thread on rigtalk about it. I wish i could use ch2 because sometimes i get tired of how over the top ch 3 is but sounds horrible. To have it modded would change the sound of the ch 2 and probably cost more than the amp is worth so i decided against it.

Have you tried running the gain up full throttle using the green clean channel?

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Anyone ever toy around with the idea of kt66's in these 50 watters? I know I should leave well enough alone, but....:cool:

Wickedout2014

Reaction score
Ok I've had a chance to riff all my guitars with my amp and cabinet. My Schecter Hellraiser has lots of balls that's all I can say. And those active EMG's. kick some serious ass. It's a whole different sound from my Gibson's and my PRS. Don't get me wrong they all sound pretty good. I'm just loving the tone my Schecter is pushing paired up with my EVH 5153. Just wanted to share! :metal:

lovehifi

Reaction score
Need some advice. Bought a 5150 iii 50 watt from AMS online. Awesome amp. However there is a 2 inch crease or thin bubble in the tolex right next to where the handle screws down. Hardly noticeable but its there. AMS said I could exchange it but once again they are out of stock so I would have to return mine and get back on the waiting list for a few weeks. Or they will discount it a 100.00 bucks and I just live with it. My only concern is it getting worse over time. What would you do? Im thinking on just taking the discount since you really cant see it unless looking for it. Thoughts?

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
Ok I've had a chance to riff all my guitars with my amp and cabinet. My Schecter Hellraiser has lots of balls that's all I can say. And those active EMG's. kick some serious ass. It's a whole different sound from my Gibson's and my PRS. Don't get me wrong they all sound pretty good. I'm just loving the tone my Schecter is pushing paired up with my EVH 5153. Just wanted to share! :metal:

I'm especially glad to hear this, because I also have a Schecter Hellraiser with EMGs. I'm not loving them much lately but that may be because I'm playing through a *gasp* Line 6 Spider (don't shoot me)

So I'm psyched to get mine and see how epically ballsy they sound with the amp :)

Tuco Borborygmus

I don't read posts!!
Reaction score
Need some advice. Bought a 5150 iii 50 watt from AMS online. Awesome amp. However there is a 2 inch crease or thin bubble in the tolex right next to where the handle screws down. Hardly noticeable but its there. AMS said I could exchange it but once again they are out of stock so I would have to return mine and get back on the waiting list for a few weeks. Or they will discount it a 100.00 bucks and I just live with it. My only concern is it getting worse over time. What would you do? Im thinking on just taking the discount since you really cant see it unless looking for it. Thoughts?
Take the $100 and run ;)

')