The Explorer shapes fans thread

• Thread starter MrBouleDeBowling
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrBouleDeBowling

Reaction score
The title says it all. Show us the ones you own and/or your favorites!

Gibson/Epiphone Explorer's, Jackson Kelly's, ESP EX's/FX's/MX's, Dean Z's/Zero's, Balaguer Typhoon's, Solar Type E's, etc. Screw it, they all count.

I currently only own 2:

Solar Type E2.6C
solar.jpg

(Heavily modified DYI project) Dean Dave Mustaine Zero
dean alesk zero.jpg

Explorer type guitars I used to own:

ESP MIJ 2000 EX
mennuie de c'te guit la.jpg

LTD FX 401SM
celle la itoo.jpg

LTD EX Black Metal
273501243_10158986651390749_4679550474222279247_n.jpg

Also, as a massive Metalocalypse fan, I regret never picking a Thunderhorse Explorer when they were available. The new Ghosthorse looks nice tho

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
That Solar looks absolutely killer.

One of my first guitars was a Hondo Explorer. After a bunch of fights with my older brother he grabbed it and drove his foot through where the neck meets the body. I have never done explorer shapes since.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I do have a question for Explorer enthusaists: Does anyone feel like Explorers in general tend to be darker and bassier than most other guitars? I've owned a couple of E-shapes and they just don't stay because I feel like they have no bite.

MrBouleDeBowling

Reaction score
I do have a question for Explorer enthusaists: Does anyone feel like Explorers in general tend to be darker and bassier than most other guitars? I've owned a couple of E-shapes and they just don't stay because I feel like they have no bite.
In my general experience, no, but my FX sounded pretty underwhelming. With my Solar and the MIJ EX I used to have, I always got great tones out of them and they cut through the mix no problem

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
In my general experience, no, but my FX sounded pretty underwhelming. With my Solar and the MIJ EX I used to have, I always got great tones out of them and they cut through the mix no problem
I must have shit luck with Explorers lol. I've owned like 5 of them and none of them stayed due to just not having "it". Shit, I had a rare Japanese-made LTD EXP-200 from the first batch of guitars, and I had to ditch it because it didn't sound very great.
Actually I take it back. I had one; an Epi Explorer from like 2007. Probably the best Explorer I ever owned. Actually miss that guitar.
Been looking at the Solar E-type for the longest time, but I'm just worried about my previous experience with Explorers.

Rosal76

Reaction score
I don't own these but they're 2 of my favorite Explorer shaped guitars. First one is a B.C Rich, U.S. custom shop, 7 string Mockingbird. They built this a long time ago. They also built another one that has spear inlays instead of the cloud inlays the one below has.

296244317_1678370795866357_238767683045004999_n.jpg

The Jackson bloody King Kelly below has a interesting story. Drumcity Guitarland, a music store/online store in Colorado had this guitar for sale. I called them up and the employee told me that the guitar was built for Eric Hoffman, formerly of Deicide. Eric had a bloody Kelly in the mid 1990's and it was stolen from him and the Kelly below was the replacement Jackson built for him. The employee told me that Eric, for whatever reason, didn't want it and they (Drumcity Guitarland) took it because they were a Jackson dealer back then.

Eric Hoffman's replacement bloody King Kelly as it appeared on the Drumcity Guitarland webstore. I can't be 100% sure but I think Eric didn't want it because he didn't like the body cuts that King Kellys have. I think they look pretty cool.

4516e8e7a5d4f6fc012dac3eb917ec47--electric-guitars-musical-instruments.jpg

Below is the bloody Kelly that was stolen from Eric.

1688164920114.jpeg

Last edited:

gnoll

Reaction score

I think of Explorers as having a little bit of "Les Paul beef" but not all the way there. I wouldn't generalize too much though, it's always gonna come down to the individual guitar.

I have an Ltd EX-400 from like 2004 which I always thought sounded pretty damn good, pretty big/bassy but balanced. I think it uses some sort of budget "mahogany".

But I looked at some info/demos for newer EX guitars like E-II and black metal EX and they seem to be REALLY lightweight. I can't imagine they would sound as big as my EX in a shootout. Personally I'd rather look for an older, heavier guitar.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think of Explorers as having a little bit of "Les Paul beef" but not all the way there. I wouldn't generalize too much though, it's always gonna come down to the individual guitar.

I have an Ltd EX-400 from like 2004 which I always thought sounded pretty damn good, pretty big/bassy but balanced. I think it uses some sort of budget "mahogany".

But I looked at some info/demos for newer EX guitars like E-II and black metal EX and they seem to be REALLY lightweight. I can't imagine they would sound as big as my EX in a shootout. Personally I'd rather look for an older, heavier guitar.
I had an LTD FX with EMGs and it was really dark and bassy. LIke it sounded like the tone was on 0 at all times.
Interestingly most (all?) of the Les Pauls or LP copies I owned had more sparkle and brightness in the high end than most of the Explorers I've owned or tried.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I forgot the spalt EX (FX?) was a thing. If I ran into one used locally, I think I'd struggle not to buy it.

Edika

Reaction score
I have a Gibson Gothic Explorer that I love. It is quite thick sounding but also have a nice punch. I'm guessing this I'd due to the pickups, because when I tried Black Winters it gave it even more bite. But I like the 500T/496R combo in it.
20210807_185531.jpg

This Schecter did sound dark and didn't have that it. I tried so many pickups but still it would not brighten up. I probably should have left it in E standard but ended up trading it for a LTD 7 string that I'm happier with.
20210807_190652.jpg

This one had the opposite issue of having a weird mid frequency that annoyed the hell out of me. It kind of sounded hollow, regardless of the pickups that were in it. I tried so many sets but ended up selling it.
20210807_184903.jpg

I'd love Voodoo Explorer or a Thunderhorse Explorer, but the prices these are going for now are insane!

Hoss632

Reaction score
Not normally a fan of the shape. But if I were to get one it'd probably be this. Harley Benton EX-84 Modern EMG. Only 400 bucks, I like the color and it's EMG loaded.
jvkdgxzrxalkyhswxsub.jpg

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Explorers or death. Best shape ever.

20221123_204353.jpg

Left to right:
-Epiphone 58 explorer I bought from a guy at school when I was 13. Stock everything, sounds terrible.
-Excalibur, my personal Frankenstein 7-string HSH Explorer with all Gotoh hardware and a 10-way switch. Duncan JB/Jazz and a DiMarzio Blaze single. Super heavy Ash body and maple set neck, way brighter than a normal Explorer, more like a typical shred guitar but with lots of body and huge resonance.
-Jackson Brandon Ellis Kelly, stock PATB1, tuners and trem arm switched, since upgraded with some FU-Tone titanium bits. Excellent lead guitar tone, super fast neck.

I also love Vs and Stars, none of the latter as of yet though.

20230202_201648.jpg

owlexifry

Reaction score
yes, and i love it.

nothing a duncan distortion or a dimarzio d-activator couldn't fix

img_5580-jpg.1043240

Reaction score
I must have shit luck with Explorers lol. I've owned like 5 of them and none of them stayed due to just not having "it". Shit, I had a rare Japanese-made LTD EXP-200 from the first batch of guitars, and I had to ditch it because it didn't sound very great.
Actually I take it back. I had one; an Epi Explorer from like 2007. Probably the best Explorer I ever owned. Actually miss that guitar.
Been looking at the Solar E-type for the longest time, but I'm just worried about my previous experience with Explorers.
Back in the day I had an Epi Goth Explorer and didn't like it. It was kinda bassy and dull.

Also, Epi Explorers and Vs always felt hollow to me. I always wondered if they were actually solid body. I haven't tried an Epi since then and I wonder if that's changed

')