The Faceless Megathread ("Autotheism" available 08.14.12)

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
all i saw was they showed up late, wierd soundcheck played for a little bit but not full planetary duality.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
From a photo of a 'sit down protest' the crowd did...

"10 hours late, got there an hour after they were supposed to set up, and didn't even finish that until they were supposed to be finished, technical difficulties left and right resulting in no bass, and only played 4 songs off the album they promised to play front to back"

They got Keene'd. Ooosh.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
My experience with addicted musicians has a very negative trend, where very few did clean up their act, and many of the majority who didn't are dead today. Anecdotal as it may be, and considering he isn't really proactively seeking any help to treat the addiction, I don't see this ending well unless the inevitable path to isolation that stems from running out of enablers forces him to finally understand the help he needs is not tied to scoring another fix. :(

Ivars V

Reaction score
Well, if Keene really is undergoing recovery, he might be on methadone. If so, he shouldn't be touring or anything. That shiiiet is strong and gets people really sedated and drowsy. Not something you would expect from a performing musician.

downburst82

Reaction score
If he makes it to the Canadian tour he might not make it through...fentanyl crisis up here is no joke. I always wish any addict the best and hope for their recovery but I just have a bad feeling about that Canadian leg of the tour.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Let us not fool ourselves here - when you are undergoing the extremely demanding and excruciating process of rehabilitation, you do NOT leave the clinic while the process is underway, and you most definitely don't go back to the very environments and conditions that enabled your addiction to begin with. If there's one thing this man is not is in a process of recovery and rehabilitation, as much as I understand fans and people who think any death to drugs is one too many would want to hope otherwise. I mean, if he is undergoing the process, then it's likely the most ill advised thing I've seen thus far.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Let us not fool ourselves here - when you are undergoing the extremely demanding and excruciating process of rehabilitation, you do NOT leave the clinic while the process is underway, and you most definitely don't go back to the very environments and conditions that enabled your addiction to begin with. If there's one thing this man is not is in a process of recovery and rehabilitation, as much as I understand fans and people who think any death to drugs is one too many would want to hope otherwise. I mean, if he is undergoing the process, then it's likely the most ill advised thing I've seen thus far.
This. That shit literally rewires your brain. It’s like a parasite and it can take two years for your serotonin receptors to repair, that is if they do at all. A buddy of mine went cold turkey on opiates. It’s been a year and a half and his sense of humor is just now barely starting to come back. This is a long process and anyone going about their normal life in the meantime just isn’t doing it.

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
that video was way rough.

You can sit here and shit on him for personal choices, but at the end if the day , he's still a human. Dude is stuck

downburst82

Reaction score
His ex bandmates did what they could to help him by all exiting the band at once. As much as they did it for their own reasons im sure a bit of it was a hope that it would force Keene to clean up his act.

However management decided to keep things going... hire more replacement musicians to back Keene and put him on another tour.
I cant really judge really since I dont know the situation but that struck me as a terrible management decision...
AT BEST he struggles through a tour and makes that big $$ (not) we all know Tech metal bands make...ON PAR they cancel shows and/or disapoint fans with unprofessional behavior and probably lose $$...AT WORST Keene OD's on a tourbus somewhere :(.

The Faceless needs to die for awhile so Keene doesn't.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
That actually made me cry. It's had to believe that's the same Keene who made Planetary Duality. I bought that album TWICE because the first one died from being overused, worshiped the ground that The Faceless walked on. That's just... Fucking hard to watch.
:( Same.

cip 123

Reaction score
His ex bandmates did what they could to help him by all exiting the band at once. As much as they did it for their own reasons im sure a bit of it was a hope that it would force Keene to clean up his act.

However management decided to keep things going... hire more replacement musicians to back Keene and put him on another tour.
I cant really judge really since I dont know the situation but that struck me as a terrible management decision...
AT BEST he struggles through a tour and makes that big $$ (not) we all know Tech metal bands make...ON PAR they cancel shows and/or disapoint fans with unprofessional behavior and probably lose $$...AT WORST Keene OD's on a tourbus somewhere :(.

The Faceless needs to die for awhile so Keene doesn't.

While I agree that Keene needs to step away and clean up, I think EJ is an alright manager, I believe a lot of the shows were already in the pipeline. To back out of them would be loosing even more of the little money they probably make and put them in a worse situation. And tour might be the best place for him. If he's at home he knows exactly where to get what he wants and that is temptation enough. On the road while not impossible, it's harder to get drugs when I bet someone is keeping an eye on him most of the time.

Though I would hope they get to the end of a tour and hang it up till he's better no matter how long that takes.

Last edited:

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
And tour might be the best place for him. If he's at home he knows exactly where to get what he wants and that is temptation enough. On the road while not impossible, it's harder to get drugs when I bet someone is keeping an eye on him most of the time.

Though I would hope they get to the end of a tour and hang it up till he's better no matter how long that takes.

I mean, didn't they just play several shows without an issue prior to this show? Seems like things were getting better until he got near home.

cip 123

Reaction score
I mean, didn't they just play several shows without an issue prior to this show? Seems like things were getting better until he got near home.

They did, and the whole europe tour went okay, minus Bryce getting sick in Glasgow. And that's not even on Keene.

If he's on the road it's easier to keep an eye on him, and harder for him to get drugs. In my mind it's either on tour or in a rehab clinic he can't leave. If he's home the next headline we'll read is an OD, and no one wants that.

')