The Faceless Megathread ("Autotheism" available 08.14.12)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I wish this didnt bother me as much as it does. .

I have a hard time seeing any of those riffs as actual copying. I dunno if it's my laptop speakers but that second Extol one everyone seems to be talking about is not that close (other than the vocals); they're both trem picked patterns. The Blackened one was pretty retarded too :spock:

mithologian

Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing any of those riffs as actual copying. I dunno if it's my laptop speakers but that second Extol one everyone seems to be talking about is not that close (other than the vocals); they're both trem picked patterns. The Blackened one was pretty retarded too :spock:

Some are not similar by much. I hate how he didnt use more opeth examples.

On a more positive note, I loved the album. Needed more brewer wizardy though.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Do I have to be the asshole who thinks the new album is not special at all? :squint:

Generic tremolo-picking death metal riffs and blast-beats. I don't judge if some people like it. Never been a huge death metal fan myself but still can't see all the hype and what new this album brings to the scene. Still love Ancient Covenant though. That song rocks.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I think this "Faceless ripping people off" stuff has gone too far. In my opinion NONE of them are rip-offs. In fact, I literally shook my head at all but one comparison in the video, amazed that they are even being compared as a rip-off.

Too many people these days are just trying to uncover some sort of conspiracy. Just shut up and listen to the music, or don't.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
The only "ripping off" I hear is
That riff from Dirge for November.
Which I thought was cool and chuckled a little.
But then again, I guess its my job
To take apart every song and form an opinion about
Every second. So let me get back to my research

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I think this "Faceless ripping people off" stuff has gone too far. In my opinion NONE of them are rip-offs. In fact, I literally shook my head at all but one comparison in the video, amazed that they are even being compared as a rip-off.

Too many people these days are just trying to uncover some sort of conspiracy. Just shut up and listen to the music, or don't.

I think people are mistaking ripping off with influence

Richie666

Reaction score
I'm pretty disappointed in the album. PD being one of my favorite death metal albums ever doesn't help either. It sounds very uninspired and overly ambitious. I'm usually fine with bands tossing in references to other bands but it's way too blatant on this disc, especially the Devin Townsend-esque riff. Hymn of Sanity, Movement III, and Eidolon are all great tracks though.

Blackheim

Guitar Emperor
Reaction score
I do not want to sound like an a**hole, but for those that still complaining about rip-offs, then go and listen other stuff and stop complaining. I don´t know when someone writes a Meshuggah esque riff or that boring djent stuff everyone is like "Jiiizzz that tonez, that djentz and blah blah" but in the core they sound pretty similar and nobody points that out.

I find this album very well written and complex, there are obvious influences (Cynic, Devin Townsend) but not rip-offs (IMHO). In fact, when I am composing, sometimes I write riffs that totally sounds like others band's riff and I don't even notice until I show it to one of my friends and they say "Hey it totally sounds like X".

There are always people complaining about something, but they are doing what the want to do and not what people want them to do.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
In fact, when I am composing, sometimes I write riffs that totally sounds like others band's riff and I don't even notice until I show it to one of my friends and they say "Hey it totally sounds like X".

Being unaware that you're ripping someone off doesn't suddenly make it okay. LOL.

There's a big difference between a riff or song being inspired by a band, song, album, etc....and stealing the exact riff or phrasing.

I think Obscura is the best example of this. No one in the band is shy about Death and Morbid Angel being their two biggest influences. I listen to specific parts in their songs and think, "Holy crap. This 100% sounds like something Chuck would have written if he was still alive".....not "Holy crap. This is basically note for note the same something from Pull the Plug."

Obviously, some people are less sensitive to this kind of stuff than others.

Latest posts

')