The Faceless Megathread ("Autotheism" available 08.14.12)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blackheim

Guitar Emperor
Reaction score
Being unaware that you're ripping someone off doesn't suddenly make it okay. LOL.

There's a big difference between a riff or song being inspired by a band, song, album, etc....and stealing the exact riff or phrasing.

I think Obscura is the best example of this. No one in the band is shy about Death and Morbid Angel being their two biggest influences. I listen to specific parts in their songs and think, "Holy crap. This 100% sounds like something Chuck would have written if he was still alive".....not "Holy crap. This is basically note for note the same something from Pull the Plug."

Obviously, some people are less sensitive to this kind of stuff than others.

Of course not, obviously those riffs I accidentally ripped off are thrown away. But, my point is, if you already written something and you like it that way but there is an obvious soundalike riff, will you just start over.

I am not saying this is their case (The Facelss) but may be a possibility... Also, Michale Keene has stated that Cynic and some other bands have influenced a lot in his style. Also, if you pay enough attention, he has the Chuck Schuldiner's pinky illness xD

IMO they are not ripping anyone, except for the Extol riff on "In Solitude"... Thats just s faceless move:squint:

Alpenglow

music and shat
Reaction score
The only "ripping off" I hear is
That riff from Dirge for November.
Which I thought was cool and chuckled a little.
But then again, I guess its my job
To take apart every song and form an opinion about
Every second. So let me get back to my research

Man, I wish that didn't bother me as much as it does. I love the album but the fact that the opening of In Solitude is so ridiculously similar to Dirge for November just bugs me... that's my favorite Opeth song too.

Reaction score
Well Jimmy Page borrowed a lot of ideas from
other musicians to make the great legacy of Led Zeppelin.
Get the fuck over it.
Don't like it? Don't listen. Happy travels.

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal."

Somebody here quoted it as Picasso, but it was actually Stravinsky who said it- and he said:

"A good composer borrows, a great composer steals".

It was never thought of as "stealing" back then, it was more the composer showing his admiration for the person he was copying and it was suppose to be deliberate so everyone could recognize it. I think it's the same thing now, with the Faceless/Keene being such a big Devin fan. He didn't do it to try and rip off DTB, that's ridiculous, he's a big fan, enjoys Devin's music, and this is how he expresses it.

Zerox8610

Reaction score
Plus, without getting too nerdy, it fits into the album 'theme' perfectly.

Keenes said each album is based around a theme. Last one was about planets, space, alternative dimensions or something or rather, so the vocoder stuff worked quite well (though admittedly it was also a huge nod to Cynic)

This album seems to be about Science killing god, and the modern wave of New Athiesm that Hawkins, Dawkins, Harris and Dennett represent. The song itself is called Hail Science, a robot voice is only fitting.

When I saw them on Metal Alliance Geoff was getting the entire crowd to switch from horns to the Vulcan Salute.

That on top of getting the crowd to yell "Hail Science!!"

Everyone played along and it was a great show. Got to talk to Keene for a while after the show :D

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Somebody here quoted it as Picasso, but it was actually Stravinsky who said it- and he said:

"A good composer borrows, a great composer steals".

It was never thought of as "stealing" back then, it was more the composer showing his admiration for the person he was copying and it was suppose to be deliberate so everyone could recognize it. I think it's the same thing now, with the Faceless/Keene being such a big Devin fan. He didn't do it to try and rip off DTB, that's ridiculous, he's a big fan, enjoys Devin's music, and this is how he expresses it.

So, if I steal some Faceless riffs and just say I did it because I like them a lot, I can get away with it and call myself great?

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I think this "Faceless ripping people off" stuff has gone too far. In my opinion NONE of them are rip-offs. In fact, I literally shook my head at all but one comparison in the video, amazed that they are even being compared as a rip-off.

Too many people these days are just trying to uncover some sort of conspiracy. Just shut up and listen to the music, or don't.

James, just listen to Dirge for November, and tell me that's not obviously the same pattern and structure of that part of In Solitud. I'm not trying to uncover any bullshit. You can't deny it's similar. Again, I'm not saying it was an intentional ripoff either, influences bleed in to other artist's work very easily. It's worth discussing. :shrug:

Tarantino_Jr

Reaction score
So, if I steal some Faceless riffs and just say I did it because I like them a lot, I can get away with it and call myself great?

It's still their album, their music (well most of it), their lyrics. And btw they don't call themselves great.

Poeple in this thread behave as if it's the first time that there are rip-offs in metal.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
I'm the guy on the left lol
578926_456760967678605_918665889_n.jpg

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
Well this comes from an anonymous source (credible to me), so I'm not going to say it's true or not, but person X said that this is the last Faceless album, as Michael Keene has become bored with it and wants to put his efforts towards other endeavors, much like what he did with Boregore.

He said it was totally not true. Yes I asked Michael Keene himself

ESP_

Reaction score
I see the sign behind your head in the picture... I wanna be a guitar tech for The Faceless lol :D

Don Vito

Reaction score
If it's for the purpose of paying homage, than why not?

It doesn't happen to often, but I like when bands throw other bands riffs into their song to make a the statement that they really love that bands music.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
DEUS EST MORTUUS!! LOGICA OBTINET!!

IMO... This.... this is the best part of the album. It majestic, heavy, brutal and beautiful all at the same time. Why they put that godforsaken "Mr.Bungle" part after it I will never know.

IMO: I've listened to this album 10 times now, it's a good album. I'm still bought the package, and I'm wearing the shirt as I write this. Is it as good as PD?, no, but few albums are. The production is clean, almost too clean sometimes (not sure why Keene thought that using the lead sound for a rhythm sound was a good idea), but I have to assume since the album took so long to record that it's what keene wanted, so who I am, right?

All in all, I'm still a Faceless fan, I like the album's atheist/pro-science stance, I think the next album (assuming the band doesn't break u/p/replace members) will flow batter, and hopefully not be so "anal" sounding. Keene is definitely on the right track. I just wish there were more "oh fuck yeah" moments, like in the above quote, and also wish those moments didn't feel like they were almost designed to "fuck with the listener" like what happens in the above when the "Mr.Bungle" part kicks in.

travis bickle

Reaction score
The album fucken crushes and the carnival parts are starting to grow on me. Hahaha. At least the lyric during this passage makes up for it. The production and guitar tones could be better, especially when compared to the sonics on planetary duality. That said, the playing is fucken top notch, and the songwriting is incredible.

ByDesign

:::::::::
Reaction score
I'm blown away by the amount of negativity this album has received. It's fucking amazing, up there with PD for me. I LOVE the huge (and obvious) Devin influences too!

Latest posts

')