The Faceless Megathread ("Autotheism" available 08.14.12)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
For all the guys that don't like this album I just have to say "What the fuck is wrong with you?" I love it!!! PD was great, but IMO this album is much better. Keene is a genius.

Reaction score
Just got the new album today and I think it's great! Definite Devin Townsend and Opeth influences on there, but it's also very original, progressive, and heavy as fuck. Dig the atheist elements on there and I like the singing as well. Really, reading through this thread it seems that there's a lot of negativity but I can't any faults with it. The sort of carnvial-sounding bits can be somewhat of a turnoff to people and I can understand that, but I think it suits the progressive side of them. The solos are fantastic, and the whole thing is very melodic and interesting. I really don't understand the hate.

edit: You know, I can understand the criticisms about the production, but I really don't think it's that bad. Certainly not as bad as AAL's debut. The drums and clean guitar tones are the only thing lacking a bit IMO.

ST3MOCON

Reaction score
I was listening to it today and I have to say I like it. It's really seems more of a story to me or like I'm watching a movie with my ears. Planetary duality is still my favorite but this album seems like it went deeper into the kind of story Keene as created. Akeldama seemed more like running into aliens the first time, planetary duality is like oh shit we're going to be enslaved and then autotheism is like we went further into the cosmos and found the oldest living being or beings "known". At least this is what I pull from the music. The album is different but it tells a different story. The music gives a haunting feeling more than planetary's in your face all out war feeling. Im happy with everything but the length of the album. Cool listen :)

ESP_

Reaction score
At my table there's no place, for your rituals of faith,
I will drink to myself, for I know there's nothing else
words of faith reflect your fear, thinly veiled but far too clear
and if my truth, shatters yours, then be baptized in this flame

This part on 10 Billion Years is so good. The riff, vocal delivery, drums EVERYTHING. I imagine Keene at the "last supper" and just shutting shit down :D

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
At my table there's no place, for your rituals of faith,
I will drink to myself, for I know there's nothing else
words of faith reflect your fear, thinly veiled but far too clear
and if my truth, shatters yours, then be baptized in this flame

This part on 10 Billion Years is so good. The riff, vocal delivery, drums EVERYTHING. I imagine Keene at the "last supper" and just shutting shit down :D

SCULPTING MONUMENTS.........

......OF THE NOW!!!

:shred::shred::hbang::hbang::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Mwoit

Reaction score
After a few listens, I'm really enjoying this album. The singing is alright, not amazing but it does the job... I wish that they used Evan Brewer a bit more, the bass is only doing cool parts in some songs but most of the time it's buried or just following the guitar. I mean, even in PD, there was a tapping bass intro in Ancient Covenant!

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I think Evan chose not to really wank out on the bass this time, he preferred just to play traditional metal bass on the album. He saves the wankery for his solo stuff, which I can definitely appreciate :)

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score

When I hear the first bit of the singing I imagine a Walrus who is cross with another Walrus and arguing with him. Then I hear Devin and the new Textures singer later on. Pretty crayzay

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude who is in two other bands with Lyle said on another forum that the songs were "recorded' on an e-kit and SD2 was used(and that some parts may have been programmed).

So if that is true (I'm definitely no authority on the matter) then this has the least "real" drum sound out of their releases. Although The Faceless have always had a pretty terrible sample heavy sound, so it doesn't really have any effect on my enjoyment of their music.

According to Keene on the first album only the kick drum was replaced, the rest is just mic'd drums, he also stated the second album is also real drums in the same interview but with more replacement/augmentation
http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/09/18/keene-on-an-interview-the-faceless-mastermind-talks-autotheism/
That’s definitely different. What about drums? Did you produce anything in terms of the drums? It sounds really different from Planetary, probably more than any other instrument.

It’s kind of ironic: on Planetary all the drums were mic’d up and I didn’t sound-replace anything except the kick. And I’ve heard a lot of people say that the drums sound fake on Planetary which is weird to me because they’re not fake, they’re mic’d. Whereas on this one, I haven’t heard anyone say that and the drums actually were sound-replaced. That’s one difference. I didn’t use any reverb on the drums; it’s all room mics for ambiance. We compressed the ambient mics; I wanted the

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
Finally got a hold of a copy of Autotheism after listening on Youtube for a while.. wow.
Loving the saxophone bit in Deconsecrate.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
SLightly OFF-topic related to the faceless using ampsims live POST.

It's a funny question to me, considering I have been running a computer as a preamp for a couple months at band practices.

I have never used waves ampsims, but I wonder why he specifically likes them over every other vst ampsim. When i think of Ampsims Waves doesnt even cross my mind haha. Its kinda like meshuggah using cubase's built in ampsim. Its just odd to me. I mean it obviously works for them.

Laptops never seemed super Tour durable. I know lots of bands seem to have macbooks running insane midi switching, providing samples, and a click live. But I still dont personally see it as the best touring hardware.

I am just stuck in my old ways, and if i had a solid state drive comp I imagine that I would be running a computer preamp setup.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
tumblr_mbum3vD7zz1rxchvqo1_500.jpg

FUCK YESSSSS

')