The Faceless Megathread ("Autotheism" available 08.14.12)

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I'm blown away by the amount of negativity this album has received. It's fucking amazing, up there with PD for me. I LOVE the huge (and obvious) Devin influences too!

there's even a song called "accelerated evolution." pretty shameless :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ESP_

Reaction score
Seen The Faceless last night, I think I was the only one who knew the words to Deconsecrate :) I met Michael after the show and he seems to be one of the most sincere people on tour. I dont' know why people are saying he is an ass.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I saw them last night as well. They were my favorite band of the night personally. I met Michael, and Geoff and we both talked quite a bit. Michael seems like a really cool dude to me :agreed:

Also, it's likely that they'll be playing Hymn Of Sanity on future tours based on what Geoff told me :)

Lirtle

Reaction score
This album has really grown on me. I cant even listen to PD anymore... not in a bad way.

GTailly

Intellect's Minion
Reaction score
I have finally received my package from merchconnection. :yesway:
Unfortunately, I've only had the time to listen to the record once since I got it.

For a first listen, I really enjoyed the record and it will surely grow more and more on me as I give it more listens.

Also, I feel like bringing something up after keeping myself from doing it in the Contortionist's thread.
Here we go. Seriously, can't some people really just listen to an album for the sake of the music anymore? I just can't stand all that production criticism thing nowadays. What fascinates me is that I see some people complaining about how the album sounds without even saying a word on how they liked the music behind the production.

Can't you appreciate a record even if its production is not "oh-god-so-heavenly-djenty-mansoor-like". Don't take me wrong here, I like everything Misha does and I am far from hating on him.

Alright, point made. :)
It just needed to get out.
Peace. :cheers:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I have finally received my package from merchconnection. :yesway:
Unfortunately, I've only had the time to listen to the record once since I got it.

For a first listen, I really enjoyed the record and it will surely grow more and more on me as I give it more listens.

Also, I feel like bringing something up after keeping myself from doing it in the Contortionist's thread.
Here we go. Seriously, can't some people really just listen to an album for the sake of the music anymore? I just can't stand all that production criticism thing nowadays. What fascinates me is that I see some people complaining about how the album sounds without even saying a word on how they liked the music behind the production.

Can't you appreciate a record even if its production is not "oh-god-so-heavenly-djenty-mansoor-like". Don't take me wrong here, I like everything Misha does and I am far from hating on him.

Alright, point made. :)
It just needed to get out.
Peace. :cheers:

It's just this new era of musicians, before people would only associate themselves with the music and not the production because of the cost to actually produce, and it not being common practice with every musician out there. Now any person who's mixed and produced from their laptop thinks they have some new found skill in pointing out good and bad mixes. When in fact, nothing is really wrong with it at all.

Yes, some mixes are terrible. But complaining when an album sounds this clear is just lame and completely snobbish. I take it that people should listen to an album for the music and that alone, because I can listen to an old Metallica Demo Cassette and appreciate how fucking awesome Hit the Lights was. But shit, it's one of the worst mixes you'll ever hear. Especially when a lot of Black Metal bands get away with it, and it becomes part of the practice when playing that style of music.

People just need to stop complaining because people work hard at what they do, and they release something that makes them proud. They're not trying to fulfill every listeners needs and wants, clearly obvious with this record both musically and production wise.

GTailly

Intellect's Minion
Reaction score
I won't start any debate on this thread but thank you for your answer man. :yesway:

I just needed to let this out and clear my mind. :lol:

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I'm loving the album. Got my preorder on Sunday and been jamming it since.

IAMLORDVADER

progressive insanity
Reaction score
I agree with production criticism becoming a bit much. People seem to be far more interested in that than the musical content. I understand when a mix is poor to the point of unlistenable but it would suck if everything sounded the same. I'll be the first to admit I have a couple of production issues with this album but I know Keene made those choices artistically so it doesn't bother me as such :coffee:

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Yes, some mixes are terrible. But complaining when an album sounds this clear is just lame and completely snobbish. I take it that people should listen to an album for the music and that alone, because I can listen to an old Metallica Demo Cassette and appreciate how fucking awesome Hit the Lights was. But shit, it's one of the worst mixes you'll ever hear. Especially when a lot of Black Metal bands get away with it, and it becomes part of the practice when playing that style of music.

People just need to stop complaining because people work hard at what they do, and they release something that makes them proud. They're not trying to fulfill every listeners needs and wants, clearly obvious with this record both musically and production wise.

So one's allowed to dislike the production on an album....or vocalize that? LOL. Who cares if they worked hard? As a listener, you should not care one bit how much time or effort went into the album. You're buying a product. When you spend $10 on an album, you have the right to criticize or praise it as you see fit.

It blows my mind how many people are butt hurt that people don't like this album. It certainly doesn't affect me that people disagree with me and absolutely love it. It's clearly a polarizing album based on the responses I'm seeing from people anywhere. They clearly took some risks that turned a lot of people off.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Wes said tubes are going to become as relevant as VHS tapes
in some Fractal ad I just saw in GW hahaha

Autotheism rules, still

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
So one's allowed to dislike the production on an album....or vocalize that? LOL. Who cares if they worked hard? As a listener, you should not care one bit how much time or effort went into the album. You're buying a product. When you spend $10 on an album, you have the right to criticize or praise it as you see fit.

It blows my mind how many people are butt hurt that people don't like this album. It certainly doesn't affect me that people disagree with me and absolutely love it. It's clearly a polarizing album based on the responses I'm seeing from people anywhere. They clearly took some risks that turned a lot of people off.

Wow, things must be very sterile for you. You don't appreciate how much work and time goes into making things? If that's how you view things, that's on you I'm not going to criticize you on it, nor am I prohibiting anyone from voicing their opinions on anything. As if I even had the authority to, but I can become annoyed by something can't I?

I don't care if people don't like it, I didn't even say that. I said I hate when people in general bitch about the mix when the "mix" sounds fine and is something that was worked on and listened to various times before being released. If it was released as is, that's how the album was meant to sound regardless of your opinion or not.

Like it or not, writing, producing, and making good music takes time and work. This album took quite some time to finish and it shows. If Keene wanted to make money from people like you who see something as expressive as music to be a product, then he would have continued his work with Borgore. If you don't appreciate the effort, then that's extremely ignorant of you.

Reaction score
Anyone know of someone tabbing out emancipate? So difficult to try all of that by ear. and my head just melts learning the first part by ear. i jsut dont have the patience to stop and repeat a part to hear out each riff.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
in short: Autotheism bored the balls off me

To me, this would have been better suited for "Michael Keene ft. other people" as an album title.
I know he experimented and had success on Planetary Duality, but easily over half of this new album is him singing and wanking out solos.

Not saying I dont appreciate him, I think he's a wicked awesome guitarist, but I really just wasnt expecting this much of it to be focused around him.

breadtruck

Reaction score
in short: Autotheism bored the balls off me

To me, this would have been better suited for "Michael Keene ft. other people" as an album title.
I know he experimented and had success on Planetary Duality, but easily over half of this new album is him singing and wanking out solos.

Not saying I dont appreciate him, I think he's a wicked awesome guitarist, but I really just wasnt expecting this much of it to be focused around him.

I'm inclined to agree. I know he's a smart guy with tons of musical talent, but I'd prefer if he just stuck to his role as one of the guitarists. I feel it would work better that way, but of course that's just my opinion and I'm sure he is just wanting to push boundaries and contribute as much as he can.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
The only injustice in my opinion, is that Wes only had a single solo written on the record. But it's completely understandable when you see how late in writing/recording he became part of the band.

')