The Failcaster!

• Thread starter carbon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
Add an extra tuner for the Lulz, mix brown and pink paint to see what nasty color comes about, and paint it THAT color.. umm....
For the hell of it.. Put the McDonald's arch on the body somewhere.
I got nothing left. Looks like a really fun project though :lol: I wish I had a guitar to pwn but the only one I have is this intrepid.. and I will NOT be doing such things to this..

Actually, new plan:

Nigel%20-%20full.jpg

String pull, anyone?

The thing I HATE about this guitar.. Is alternate tunings are pointless unless it's down an octave :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lefty robb

Shred like a mofo
Contributor
Reaction score
wow, make sure if you have them all on at the same time to be at least 500 feet from any florescent lighting, 60 cycle hum FTL.. LOL :lol::lol:

74n4LL0

I'm a robot...
Reaction score
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Interesting.
Calling the 5 pickups 1 to 5.
For the wiring I'd do a normal 5 way switch + 5 switches to achieve:
- only pickup 2
- only pickup 4
- series between 1 and 2 (neck humbucker)
- series between 4 and 5 (bridge humbucker)
- series between 3 and 4 (middle humbucker)

cycloptopus

Reaction score
Awesome, Dude! You definitely have to unveil this beast in the Horrible Guitar Land Thread! It is going to be hailed as the thread ender! 5 single coils FTW! My very first guitar was a Cort acoustic so I have nastalgic vested interest in the success of your Failcaster... :scratch:

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Monkey Grip + Voyager cutout = Something...

If you didn't scallop maybe you could have tried like a fretted up to 12th fret then fretless from 13 onwards thing... Would that even work? Sounds like no matter what you hit fretless it'd just rub against the 12th fret.

Setnakt

il Brutto
Reaction score
You should put the monkey grip in behind the bridge, so it will be super uncomfortable to reach all the way over to it and jab the strap button into your palm.

You should also put two more single coils in: one behind the nut so you can hear the strings ring out constantly, and another just past the nut, hanging over the fretboard, so you'll hear this obnoxious inversion every time you tap a note.

I have the best ideas.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
You should put the monkey grip in behind the bridge, so it will be super uncomfortable to reach all the way over to it and jab the strap button into your palm.

You should also put two more single coils in: one behind the nut so you can hear the strings ring out constantly, and another just past the nut, hanging over the fretboard, so you'll hear this obnoxious inversion every time you tap a note.

I have the best ideas.

I love the two extra disgusting pickups idea, but what about an acoustic piezo pickup strip mounted under the nut? That way you get that whole end of the strings. I would get single coil sized humbuckers for all 5 positions. Then i would get on/off switches for all of them, so you have to manually turn them on or off to change pickups. You can also get any pickup combo this way. All pickups engaged would sound insane! :lol:

6or7mattersnot

Hey guys look! Text!
Reaction score
Tape a brass slide to it with electical tape just behind the bridge, then another on the back above the springs. Me and a friend did this to his acoustic, only it was one brass slide, and it was a tiny gutar with about as much acoustic quality as say a hollow body or chambered guitar.

Not only did this amplify the guitar more, but it also rattled a bit and gave a really cool sounding distortion.

Edit: Drill some random holes through it of varying sizes and shapes.

carbon

Reaction score
Just a quick update: I had some problems with removing the paint, tried using some paint removing goop that you let sit and scrape off 30 min. later and it didn't do shit, so now the body is covered in stinky goop I have to rub off before I can sand the paint off. Going with the K.I.S.S. method for wiring the electronics, I'm just going to have a switch for each pickup and a volume knob. I'm making a new pickguard out of lexan, so the plan right now for the paint job is painting the routed out cavity black, the body white, and swirling day-glo orange, yellow, pink and green paint all over it (not in the pickup cavity though). The other possibility is switching the black and white, or any other suggestions for paint colors! Monkey grip is staying and I'm cutting down the upper 'horn' for better access to high notes. The one thing that I'm still debating is the voyager cutout; it would look completely ridiculous with that done, but if I did it I am probably going to move the jack plate from the front of the guitar to inside of the cutout so its not in the way as much. Only problem with this is the amount of bondo that I'll need to fill that hole and the drying time for something like that. Other than that, keep the ideas coming! At this point I don't think I'll be doing much until Thanksgiving break or thereabouts so there is still plenty of time for more stuff to be implemented.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
put WAYYYY to many screws in the pickguard, just cover the edge of it in screws...or better yet NAIL the pickguard in.

not a great idea but oh well

i cant wait to see this when its done

carbon

Reaction score
FINALLY got some time to get some stuff done on this project, it is starting quite slow but here's something!
Just getting started here
begin.jpg

Top done.
top.jpg

Back done.
back.jpg

Cleaning up the cutout for all the pickups.
cutout.jpg

Much better.
cutoutafter.jpg

This thing is a godsend for getting the sides sanded off!
godsend.jpg

Obviously, this is still very very rough. I've only used 80 grit and harsher at this point, no cuts have been made yet (voyager and double neck cutaway are both still going in), and no drilling has been done yet (monkey grip). Since I'm doing the voyager cutout, I'm moving the jack from the front of the guitar to the inside of the cutout, which means I have to fill the giant hole where the jack used to be (and bondo is looking to be the most practical choice for filling that giant hole at the moment :lol:). I'm going to try and get some more work done tomorrow, but probably just putting bondo in the opening and doing some hand sanding where I can. I'd like to clean out all the cutaways so I can have clean surfaces to paint over as well.

carbon

Reaction score
K got some more work done, unfortunately my camera was dead when I was working on it so no progress pics. Still no detail sanding done, some more time with the orbital sander is likely.

Here is the front with the old faceplate, still need to talk to my friend about when I can use his bandsaw to cut that thing out.
frontwithfaceplate.jpg

Backside.
backwithcutsmade.jpg

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Tape a brass slide to it with electical tape just behind the bridge, then another on the back above the springs. Me and a friend did this to his acoustic, only it was one brass slide, and it was a tiny gutar with about as much acoustic quality as say a hollow body or chambered guitar.

Not only did this amplify the guitar more, but it also rattled a bit and gave a really cool sounding distortion.

Edit: Drill some random holes through it of varying sizes and shapes.

The reason this happened is because you added more weight to the sound board. It wouldn't have quite that effect on an electric, unless you added the extra mass to the headstock. Adding extra weight to the soundboard means the soundboard will move more, meaning a louder guitar.

')