The Failcaster!

• Thread starter carbon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

carbon

Reaction score
So I'm bored out of my mind and have a pretty crappy Cort stratocaster knockoff sitting around, which means its time for it to be modded! Goal is to spend next to no money on parts and put as many obnoxious homebrew modifications on this thing as I possibly can! I already started with scalloping the frets and rearranging the headstock layout to a 4+2, what other things should I do to it? Also, this is a joke guitar, so if you have any funny/obnoxious ideas let me know. Its missing its middle pickup from something earlier that i forgot about so don't worry about that. Pics soon to come.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kevp714

Reaction score
put a big "PHAIL!" across the fretboard =)

carbon

Reaction score
failcaster1.jpg
failcaster2.jpg
failcaster3.jpg
failcaster4.jpg

pink freud

Reaction score
Steve Vai monkey grip.

Add in two more single coil pickups (for a total of five), and do some crazy rotary switch with a funny looking knob.

EDIT: Sand out the paint in the neck joint. That shit is a tone-sucker.

Kevp714

Reaction score
you could refinish it and make it fluorescent green or something.

carbon

Reaction score
Monkey grip sounds good, should be interesting to implement because I'm going to be cutting down the upper 'horn' on the body so that lefty people such as myself can play it easier, and it may not be put in the same (i.e. practical) place that Vai has it. I also will be cutting off the rest of the headstock, any ideas for a strange shape? Also lol'd at the phail inlay idea, ill see what I can do. Anywhere I should look for how to refinish this thing?

redlol

Reaction score
turn it into a lefty beatle paul mcartney shape! pink paint with green/orange glitter/sparkles too

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
I do that on my strat (I mean, 4+2 headstock) `cause I wanna Music Man headstock, but I could`t make it, so...now is 6-in line again, with black head to hide the (filled)holes.

carbon

Reaction score
Good news! My friend has this fender starcaster that just hangs on the wall as a joke, and he's letting me have the pickups out of it! 5 pickups are a go, I'm gonna see if I can get the holes cut out for them tonight. These will probably be controlled by a giant bank of switches, which I still have to figure out how to set up.

Woo! Now I just need to figure out how the heck to set up the wiring. Probably gonna clean the openings on the pick guard up some too, or possibly make a new one from lexan or something once I have access to some better tools, because as you can see below I'm a bit limited lol :lol:
protools.jpg

Yes, all the cutting in this cavity was done with that leatherman. It's not called the failcaster for nothing :lol:
lol.jpg

Glorious excess.
metal.jpg

Contemplating changing the name to the Stratoblaster hehe

pink freud

Reaction score
So awesome.

I wonder if you could get new covers so each one was a different color? :lol:

Bungle

Sir Roger Moore, KBE
Reaction score
Stratoblaster! That is an awesome name dude. +1 for the monkey grip too.

I reckon old school Ibby chartreuse with some hot pink racing stripes.
ibanez_FG.JPG

')