The Fanned Fret Club

• Thread starter ralphy1976
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
since there seems to be a growing interest in fanned guitars - probably due to the financial appeal which the Agile can exert on you - i thought we could have a club to thrash the theme around, wouldn't you say?

MODS : wasn't sure where to put it since it could be 7 / 8 / 9 etc...so move it at your leisure.

and now candy :

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00973.jpg

if anything else, playing a fanned guitar is a thrill because it looks odd to the viewer and just for that it is bloody awesome!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
damn the wood on that is perfect in every way \m/ if ibanez had a fanned fret i would be in the club ;)

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I say 7's section for now, since that's what the one in the OP is. :yesway:

Damn fine guitar.

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
I'm having one built right now by Adam (Elysian). It was a recent development after my original fan-fret build with another luthier went down hill.....WAY down hill. Regardless, I am very happy to have Adam build it for me instead. It is replacing the old build we were doing. Adam is super awesome to do that for me after he found out what happened with the other guy. It's going to be an insane guitar.

BMU

Reaction score
Awesome. All of those. And here I thought my J Custom might have cured me of GAS forever HAHAHA.

tuttermuts

Reaction score
Here's my Sk, currently in for some tweaking, looking forward to having her back
1267361016_resized.jpg

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe we should all post the scale lengths as well, as that would be incredibly informative.

My seven is 660 -710 mm. It feels a little more aggressive than the eight.

My eight is 600 - 660 mm. The delta is barely noticeable to my hands, although it looks more extreme.

tuttermuts

Reaction score
mine is 25,5 to 27 inch. looks pretty extreme but practically I can do pretty much the same as on a regular fretboard (some stuff even easier). The string tension is just fantastic, has allot of snap to it.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
il get pics of my custom 6string fanned bass when iv build it ;)

aleXander

BlackByPopularDemand
Reaction score
I want to try one of these...
But i don't think i could ever bring myself to buy one

LamaSabachthani

Reaction score
Although the multi-scales are awesome, I still must commend you on the beauty of the UV Swirl... I literally cannot tire of seeing those guitars.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
so, yeah good call bostjan.

"Fred's axe" is a 27.5" to 25" scale. Sound wise i love how the lower registry is clearer than on the UV.

From a playability i have noticed some fingering issues starting around the 15th fret when i try to make chords. I think it is mostly due to the fact that having no fret markers and being exactly overlooking these frets i "cross-eye"!!! :lol:

Otherwise for anything from 3rd to 12th i really like how the fan seems to suit my wrist angle.

it is true one could argue it is mostly a gimmick unless you have a near perfect ear (Eric johnson / Steve) but there aren't that many around and it is pretty cool too!!!

SIDE NOTE : where is HighGain510 (Matt) these days? His Oni is just plain ridiculous.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
durero-albums-raven-7-prototype-picture4399-raven-45.jpg

My 7-string prototype from 2003. 32" - 36" multi-scale, 31 frets, 5 octave range.

Since modded with my own single-string pickups.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
My actual axe from these, which is not Ralphie's Siggery in spite of all I say, is a 25,5" to 27" scale. :)

EDIT: someone left me rep and had asked if the Jaden was mine or borrowed from Jaden. Since he didn't sign so I could PM him, here's the answer: the Jaden is mine indeed. All the "my" guitar and "Fred's" guitar jokes you see are regarding Ralphie's fanned fret - it's a long standing joke. :)

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
My actual axe from these, which is not Ralphie's Siggery in spite of all I say, is a 25,5" to 27" scale. :)

EDIT: someone left me rep and had asked if the Jaden was mine or borrowed from Jaden. Since he didn't sign so I could PM him, here's the answer: the Jaden is mine indeed. All the "my" guitar and "Fred's" guitar jokes you see are regarding Ralphie's fanned fret - it's a long standing joke. :)

Yeah : i am the twerp who rep'd you and forgot to sign!!!! how clever am i really?!!! uh??!!! :nuts:

Have you considered buying one of his (since mine) which appear from time to time on ebay? he now makes his own pickups after a suggestion from a member of ss.org

')