The Fanned Fret Club

• Thread starter ralphy1976
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
What's the scale length? is it 25"-28"?

That wood looks incredible.

Bingo it's 25"-28" .I took it to a local luthier friend of mine and he also commented that the fretboard is very nice and correctly cut to play and sound it's best.I'm really happy with it :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Old pic of my Black Machine. I have Haeussel pickups now.

l_3d113f8834f882219488e5c37740a81b.jpg

Do not let this photo fool you. Even though I have an Axe FX I have not really done anything with it yet.

Right now all of this stuff is not being used, even my 8 string has been in a case for a few months :ugh:

l_a58b6c16c4314ddea720f252ad610b9f.jpg

jaco815

Reaction score
They're markers for the natural (white-key) notes of each string. I use a 4ths tuning scheme starting from G#1 so I marked the notes under each string to ease navigating the neck in non-standard tuning.

The bigger markers are the exact middle of the range and help me see which octave I'm in in any position on the neck.

Those big markers are a really good idea for marking octaves. I might do something like that with some vinyl stickers or something.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
i feel obliged to that thanks to those 2 blackmachine owners, but that maybe my voodoo "thanks"!!!

Awesome axes guys, thanks for sharing!!!

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Those big markers are a really good idea for marking octaves. I might do something like that with some vinyl stickers or something.
There's a company who sells vinyl fretboard markers on eBay if you're interested. I haven't tried them but I've had email discussion with the maker about ordering some custom shapes and he was very receptive.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
^How do you like it? No NGD thread? Lol.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed it. :)

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
fanned frets look so cool,but what is the purpose exactly? looks?

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
SIDE NOTE : where is HighGain510 (Matt) these days? His Oni is just plain ridiculous.

IDK how much I'm allowed to say, but Matt has had to have some serious medical treatment in the last couple of weeks :( His Oni is currently in the hands of someone else for safe keeping...

Krankguitarist

Reaction score
fanned frets look so cool,but what is the purpose exactly? looks?

Compared to a straight 25.5" scale, it makes for a bit more tension on the lower strings. Like having a baritone and a "standard" guitar in the same axe.

In theory it keeps the low end tight while retaining a comfortable tension on the higher strings. I've never had the chance to play one, though.

As far as how necessary this is...it really isn't. But it's nice to have on a 7 or 8 string guitar.

FrankeR

Smooth Groove
Reaction score
And fanned frets follow the natural movement of your fingers so you don't have to move your fingers in all those weird angles.
If I remember correctly, if I am wrong just say so.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
The only problem I se is bending, especially large bends. I don't know about anyone eleae, but I sometimes tune my guitar one octave lower then standard, to give me the ability to bend the string at least half the fretboards length. Would this be a problem?

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
The only problem I se is bending, especially large bends. I don't know about anyone eleae, but I sometimes tune my guitar one octave lower then standard, to give me the ability to bend the string at least half the fretboards length. Would this be a problem?

:scratch:

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Tuning an octave down just for bending would leave you with spaghtetti, so I'm assuming you mean a step down.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
IDK how much I'm allowed to say, but Matt has had to have some serious medical treatment in the last couple of weeks :( His Oni is currently in the hands of someone else for safe keeping...

No worries Dan, you're cool. :wub: Basically yeah Misha is going to be rocking my Oni for a while, had to cover my medical expenses and I have surgery coming up soon so I sold all my guitars but one and a little practice amp. I have a deal where I'll have another one coming which is awesome and hopefully I can get the funds together soon to get my CF beauty back as I was instantly regretting being responsible the minute he walked out the door. :( Anyways, pics of my baby are in this thread:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/121921-oni-7-string-fanned-fret-picture-overload-56k-no-carbon-fiber-for-you.html#post2022344

Few pics:

ONI_7_String_41.jpg

ONI_7_String_43.jpg

ONI_7_String_46.jpg

Miss her SO much! :(

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

I have absolutely no problem with bends on mine. The extra clarity with the lower strings is a huge selling point for me.

There is some physics behind the initial idea of "fanned" frets, for which Novax held the patent for 17 years. The basic idea was to sort of tune inharmonicities due to scale length to maximize the clarity of the second or third harmonics. I kind of wonder about some of the maths behind it, but there is a subtle change in tone, and to me, it makes a substantial difference in the enjoyment of playing.

Also, with multiscale, it is possible to have a high a without sacrificing the tone of lower strings or buying special strings.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
No worries Dan, you're cool. :wub: Basically yeah Misha is going to be rocking my Oni for a while, had to cover my medical expenses and I have surgery coming up soon so I sold all my guitars but one and a little practice amp. I have a deal where I'll have another one coming which is awesome and hopefully I can get the funds together soon to get my CF beauty back as I was instantly regretting being responsible the minute he walked out the door. :( Anyways, pics of my baby are in this thread:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/121921-oni-7-string-fanned-fret-picture-overload-56k-no-carbon-fiber-for-you.html#post2022344

Few pics:

ONI_7_String_41.jpg

ONI_7_String_43.jpg

ONI_7_String_46.jpg

Miss her SO much! :(

:( I hope you feel better. I didn't know you were under the weather.

Also hope you get ahold of my seven's sister eight, that way all of the cousins will be linked.

')