The Fanned Fret Club

• Thread starter ralphy1976
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
Anyone know where/how to figure out the scale lengths for all of the strings on a fanned fret guitar?For example, if I was to pick up the Agile Pendulum 6 string, which has a 27"-25.5" fan, what would be the lengths for the 2nd through 5th strings? If I got one it would be for tuning in fifths, but it's hard to use a string guage calculator to find what strings I'll need when I have no idea what the scale length for each of them would be.

tape_measure.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I meant before buying the guitar, but I suppose I was asking for that...

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Anyone know where/how to figure out the scale lengths for all of the strings on a fanned fret guitar?For example, if I was to pick up the Agile Pendulum 6 string, which has a 27"-25.5" fan, what would be the lengths for the 2nd through 5th strings? If I got one it would be for tuning in fifths, but it's hard to use a string guage calculator to find what strings I'll need when I have no idea what the scale length for each of them would be.

Basic math will guide you!

If you start at one string there are 5 moves in scale length from the starting point!

There is 1.5" of difference from start to finish!

1.5 % 5 = .3!

Assuming each string is spaced apart exactly the same distance from the next string we can assume that there will be .3 difference in scale length from one string to the next!

So you start from one end (25.5) and add .3 per string!

Thus!

25.5"
25.8"
26.1"
26.4"
26.7"
27"!

Excelsior! Basic math and common sense win the day again!!!

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I shall be unique and post my fanned-fret bass, fanned 34-37." Plays and sounds great, even with the big stretch down low on the B string.

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3247.jpg

It is a Dingwall ABI Elite. Passive, and can do anything from P and J-style tones to the holy-shit-aggressive both-pickups-in-parallel mode.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
@TemjinStrife : this thread is about all fretted instruments, so by all means, yeah of ocurse and this bass is totally badass, the top is amazing!!!

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
the dingwall basses make me want to go back to playing bass. Particularly the combustion.

')