The Fanned Fret Club

• Thread starter ralphy1976
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Here's my first ever fanned fret guitar, fresh out of the box today.

1030828340_zMpqe-M.jpg

Whoa! Nice flame on that mahogany!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
:( I hope you feel better. I didn't know you were under the weather.

Also hope you get ahold of my seven's sister eight, that way all of the cousins will be linked.

Yeah bro I've been hospitalized 3 times for a total of 27 days (15 days the first time, 7 days the second and 6 days a week ago) in the past 5 months. :( Surgery lined up in the next 2 months. I have all my hospital bills under control now so I'm going to grab that 8 and hopefully can work with Misha to get the CF back, it pained me so badly to let it go that I really must have it back ASAP but it's going to be up to him. :(

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
Thanks to you guys, I'm getting more and more interested in a fanned fret 7.

Is Roter the cheapest bang for the buck option? I'm sorry if I'm thread-jacking; please feel free to delete my post if necessary, I figured it'd just be best to ask in here than start a new thread.

I'd get the Agile, but, I've read around here that the non-angled pickup would make it sound like utter crap.. So, I'd rather look elsewhere.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks to you guys, I'm getting more and more interested in a fanned fret 7.

Is Roter the cheapest bang for the buck option? I'm sorry if I'm thread-jacking; please feel free to delete my post if necessary, I figured it'd just be best to ask in here than start a new thread.

I'd get the Agile, but, I've read around here that the non-angled pickup would make it sound like utter crap.. So, I'd rather look elsewhere.

No the Roter isn't the cheapest, the Agiles are less expensive for sure (and they are making both angled and non-angled pickup models). Not to slam Roter as I don't really care, but go to the dealer's section and read the Roter fanned fret order thread.... lots of folks who either never got their guitars or have been told their guitars were shipping and still have never received the guitar to date.... buyer beware. :ugh: :lol:

If you're looking to try one out on the cheap with an angled pickup, my advice would be check out the Agile. :2c:

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
Wait, where can I find an angled pickup Agile?

The only ones on Rondo's site are like $1200.

Is that average for a cheap, bang for your buck fanned fret guitar?

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Wait, where can I find an angled pickup Agile?

The only ones on Rondo's site are like $1200.

Is that average for a cheap, bang for your buck fanned fret guitar?

Looks like the first run of hardtail models sold out. The one you're looking at is way more expensive because it has the Kahler fanned trem which is pricey by itself. The hardtail models like the one pictured a few posts above was like $700ish or so IIRC. :scratch: If you don't need an expensive trem, hit up Kurt and ask if/when they have more hardtail models incoming, they usually order them in batches and if they sold well he'll probably get more in soon.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
^Early next year, around the same time that we'll be seeing the fanned 8s that I've been dying for FOREVER.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
No worries Dan, you're cool. :wub: Basically yeah Misha is going to be rocking my Oni for a while, had to cover my medical expenses and I have surgery coming up soon so I sold all my guitars but one and a little practice amp. I have a deal where I'll have another one coming which is awesome and hopefully I can get the funds together soon to get my CF beauty back as I was instantly regretting being responsible the minute he walked out the door. :( Anyways, pics of my baby are in this thread:

Hey man, nice to hear you are ok, sad to hear that you were in such a bad shape that you had to resolve to some drastic compromise.

I guess health has got no price and guitars can always be had in life, as for life itself it is a bit harder!!!

Really pleased you are ok though.

I am not surprised Misha is looking after your axe, considering how blown away he seemed on that video!!

I also noticed that you just bought a 2nd hand Oni, so congrats for that, it should allow you to reduce your addiction a tad!!!

Keep strong, keep rocking man!!!:hbang::hbang:

And fanned frets follow the natural movement of your fingers so you don't have to move your fingers in all those weird angles.
If I remember correctly, if I am wrong just say so.

well, yes in a sense but it has more to do with your wrist movement (careful here sunshine!!) but only if the fan you have is in synch with your wrist movement.

For instance 2" fan (say 27.5" to 25.5" scale) may perfectly be ok for one and just manageable for another one.

Beyond this and over-riding this aspect what you must keep in mind is what you want as a guitar : how high you want your highs and how low you want your low...but 30" to 25.5" scale may be un-practical!!!

AntiTankDog

Reaction score
Yeah, that's Gunnar, my Norwegian Elkhound. He's a great dog. :)

It's a fantastic guitar, love it more every day.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
how do you find the active pick-up (if i am not mistaken??) for this machine? and how does it perform when you run out of battery (if so).

I have an ebony board on mine and frankly...ebony rules and is awesome for any tapping..etc..

and that dog is great!!! any other pics?

AntiTankDog

Reaction score
This is my first SD Blackout, but if they work like EMGs, it's pretty obvious when the batttery dies.

You'll get a thin, weak, distorted sound. After checking cables, connections, headphones, etc, you'll then remember there's a battery in the guitar. It only need replacement every year or so, depends on how much you play of course.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Anyone know where/how to figure out the scale lengths for all of the strings on a fanned fret guitar?For example, if I was to pick up the Agile Pendulum 6 string, which has a 27"-25.5" fan, what would be the lengths for the 2nd through 5th strings? If I got one it would be for tuning in fifths, but it's hard to use a string guage calculator to find what strings I'll need when I have no idea what the scale length for each of them would be.

')