The Fathomless Mastery Tone?

• Thread starter Darkstar124
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Darkstar124

Strongman
Reaction score
I searched the forum and didn't find anything to the end of what I was looking for.

I'm looking to get an amplitube or pod HD300 patch that closely matches it if I can, or just some guidance as to what sorts of 'rigs' to set up in either modeler to get that tone.

The fathomless mastery is simply the chunkiest, I'd go so far as to say more chunky than campbells.

Lemme know!:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
I'm no expert on amps/modeling equipment and stuff like that, but to me it sounds like they simply mids-boosted their EMG 81s. It shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, granted you're using EMG 81s.

It is a damn nice tone for their style of death metal, though!

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Pretty sure Bloodbath uses JCM800s, boosted i'd say but not certain on that, and if it is boosted I wouldn't know what with.

Darkstar124

Strongman
Reaction score
sweet, thanks dudes. I have a sweet ass JCM-800 patch on my pod I've been using live, but the poor thing has to be sold for rent tonight :(
Good thing PODHD edit lets you save patches!

And Alex, A New Era of corruption was a masterpiece. You should know that.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
bloodbath boost marshall amps with the good old ultimate swedish metal tone pedal. The Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal. Works like a charm, and cannot be done without the specific pedal.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
bloodbath boost marshall amps with the good old ultimate swedish metal tone pedal. The Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal. Works like a charm, and cannot be done without the specific pedal.

I've known about the HM-2 and I know bands like Entombed and Dismember used it for their signature sounds as well, but I wasn't sure if Bloodbath was a part of that or not.

Darkstar124

Strongman
Reaction score
That seems to be the lore, but the fathomless mastery always sounded distinctly different than their first two records.

It may just boil down to hunting around with my gear until I get something close that I like lol

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
I believe they used a Boss HM-2 into the Marshall and copied and applied the EQ curve from Entombed's Left Hand Path. I remember from that thread on the Sneap forums on what was used on which album...

Edit: i could be wrong actually; might be thinking of Resurrection through carnage (I can't find that thread)

Edit 2:

yeah I was wrong about that... but I found the thread.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/568376-guitar-gear-album-compendium.html

Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh

Boost: Boss HM-2

Amp: Marshall DSL50

Cab: Marshall 4x12

Mics: SM57, Royer ribbon, AKG 414 ("might have been a MD421 there too, or a U87..don´t remember") All blended on to one track.

Bloodbath - Ressurection Through Carnage

Boost: Boss HM-2

Amp: Digitech GNX2 preamp with the "Marshall" amp and speaker sim.

Post Processing: Free Filter plug ripping the EQ curve from Entombeds "Drowned", then applied to the guitar tracks.

another thread lol: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ath-fathomless-mastery-unblessing-purity.html

guy in latvia

Reaction score
I've known about the HM-2 and I know bands like Entombed and Dismember used it for their signature sounds as well, but I wasn't sure if Bloodbath was a part of that or not.

yea, bloodbath have always been about recreating classic swedish death metal. so it was a given they would use the HM-2. You can also hear it on at the gates and in flames albums, its got quite a unique character.

That seems to be the lore, but the fathomless mastery always sounded distinctly different than their first two records.

I noticed that, to me it still sounds like theyre using the HM-2, but this time the tone is very midsy and not scooped at all (more natural i suppose), its very similar to the one on their live at wacken dvd.

Misfit74

Reaction score
If you have a Boss HM-2 you can use that and mod the EQ with your POD, which I've had success with. I use the HM-2 in the FX Loop of my POD X3 Live coupled with a dual tone (overkill? maybe, lol). Only recently found and bought an HM-2 specifically for this purpose (see: Swedeath). :) So far, so good, but I'm still messing around with it in detail.

That said, sans having the HM-2 I've found some custom tones that get close or could help you, including some or all of these:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/149729/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/149730/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/112854/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/113304/

guy in latvia

Reaction score
Its kind of funny, when i got my first HM-2 (I have two), i plugged it into my pod XT, turned on a marshall amp and got an instant resurrection through carnage tone, i even did an eq analysis and it was spot on! When i plugged it in before my engl head it sounded instantly like nightmares made flesh. such a ridiculous pedal!

Misfit74

Reaction score
Its kind of funny, when i got my first HM-2 (I have two), i plugged it into my pod XT, turned on a marshall amp and got an instant resurrection through carnage tone, i even did an eq analysis and it was spot on! When i plugged it in before my engl head it sounded instantly like nightmares made flesh. such a ridiculous pedal!

Yep. Wonderful piece of equipment - both of 'em. :) Which Marshall are you using...heck which Amp and Cab model(s) do you favor right now?

I've been using the 1993 solo head or the 1990 Brit J-800 / and either 1993 Brit Celest V-30s or 2001 Line6 4x12 or 1967 Green 20's.

Are you using the FX Loop or a different setup?

Man that pedal RULES! Nothing like it, though I hear the Behringer HM300 is close. Thoughts? (can add that pedal for $20, so I'm curious)

/love this thread

guy in latvia

Reaction score
^Oh wow, I have no idea what I used, probly the J-800, it's been like 3 years since i sold my pods (had an xt and an x3). Cabwise I think it was v30s.

I would not recommend using it in the fx loop, always use it as a boost, i.e. in front of the unit.

No clue about the Behringer, but imo close wont be the same thing, just get the real deal, granted they are getting more expensive these days, but thats only cuz theyre rare as hell, hence I have two. Get them before the guys from entombed buy them all up!

For those who are interested, the HM-2 can also be heard on In Flames - Jerster Race, At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul and Edge of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow, and Entombed - Left Hand Path, Clandestine. These are some of my favorite examples of the pedal in use for the main rhythm guitar tone. One hell of an amazing piece of equipment!

Misfit74

Reaction score
^Oh wow, I have no idea what I used, probly the J-800, it's been like 3 years since i sold my pods (had an xt and an x3). Cabwise I think it was v30s.

I would not recommend using it in the fx loop, always use it as a boost, i.e. in front of the unit.

No clue about the Behringer, but imo close wont be the same thing, just get the real deal, granted they are getting more expensive these days, but thats only cuz theyre rare as hell, hence I have two. Get them before the guys from entombed buy them all up!

For those who are interested, the HM-2 can also be heard on In Flames - Jerster Race, At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul and Edge of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow, and Entombed - Left Hand Path, Clandestine. These are some of my favorite examples of the pedal in use for the main rhythm guitar tone. One hell of an amazing piece of equipment!

Glad I found and got an HM-2, as the seem to be fairly hard to come by and are rising in cost, as you said.

More bands that use the HM-2 sound: Dismember, Graveyard (Death Metal/Spain), Evocation, Interment, Demonical, and my favorite: Hail Of Bullets.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
This thread has got me inspired to record some clips with my HM-2, hopefully I will have something to share by Monday! If anyone feels like collaborating, PM me ;)

')