The feeling of missing 7 strings...

• Thread starter MF_Kitten
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
So basically, i haven´t touched my 7 string since it was sent up to Michael Sherman, and i´m hoping it´ll come back to me sometime soon. all i´ve had to play with has been my 6 stringers, and i´ve sort of gotten used to the limitations now.

trying a simple cheap 7 string on Denmark street today made my fingers shit themselves in glee!

GOD i miss 7 strings!!!

anyone else have that feeling? like, going for a long time without your 7 string, and then trying one, and realizing how boring 6 strings is? :p

Sherman, if you read this, PMs sent your way, check that inbox :p

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I know your pain bro!
I am refinishing my 7 now ,and have to play my Vandenberg.
It feels like a toy ,doesn't give me the feeling of the "low" growl ,and is soo limited that I and up stop playing it...Hopefuilly ,I will be done with the RG on monday.

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
I actually had this in reverse. After playing nothing but my sevens for months, picking up an S in a guitar center was like "holy shit this is so small!"

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
haha, i had that reaction too, when my 7 was shipped, but i´m used to that now :p

the thing is, though, in my mind the 7th string is added in the middle, and not the bottom, so i get more ground to walk around on in that area. i still tune it with an added low string, but i think of the added range as being in the middle, for some reason :p

so to me it´s like removing the G string from a 6 string, and making it a 5 string... it´s just not right! :p

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
Playin sixes again is soooo weird!
I sold all my sixes except for a baritone strat and baritone les paul both have been gathering dust since I got my sevens but I unearthed the les paul recently for the first time in nearly a year and it felt like playing a banjo or a ukelele!

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I gave my only electric 6 to my girl, but when I'm over at hers if I do play its on that. It feels so wrong its criminal.

My hands get so fucked up, especially when at least 75% of my riffs mean using 6 strings requires longer stretches or completely different fingering positions on the neck........

Wolfv11

Reaction score
I go back in forth with my desire to play 7's or 6's.

As long as I try not to play stuff I've already written on 7 strings on a 6, than I'm fine. But even so, sometimes I will write a piece on a 6, and during the writing process start thinking already how I can start adding more with a 7th string.

Sometimes the limitations of a 6 can be a good thing, sometimes its fun and healthy to work with restrictions, it makes you think more to achieve a desired result with limited options. You can end up churning out something interesting you wouldnt of had you been working with more options.

90% of my usage of 6 strings nowadays results in when I'm either teaching or playing a 6 thats tuned down.

6 strings do have this kinda "comfy" sorta feeling to them that I like though.

zilong

Reaction score
Actually, though the lack of the low B is a bit disappointing, playing my Ibanez RX350 showed me just how much better Adder Plus pickups are compared to the Evo 7 in the Septor. If only Adder would make 7s, haha.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I have been with out a 7 for about 2 years now, maybe 3. I had fought the urge to just buy a 7321 since I hate basswood, and the neck isn't my bottle of beer. Really no production 7 did much of anything except tell me "this would be great if...." Thats why I have been giving Mike all my money too! Only a few weeks left and its driving me nuts. The only saving grace for 6ers have been the fact that I have every one I owe tuned differently. Too bad I loaned one out, or I would have one in 5ths also.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i play more chord-ish stuff on sixes, and more rock-ish stuff. it´s that or metal rhythm playing :p

depends on the guitar too, obviously. on my strat copy, i play rock and funk and stuff like that. on my agile baritone, i play metal rhythm stuff mostly, and on my ibby, i play typical drop d rhythm stuff :p

on my 7s though, i venture into melody zone, with brighter stuff to contrast the deeper rhythms.

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
I do most of my riffage on seven strings. I write most of my songs on seven strings as well. I just use my six for songs I've previously wrote and didn't feel like rewriting the bass parts as well as for recordng solos (well until I get new pups for my seven)

dream-thief

I Am The Anger
Reaction score
I write a lot of stuff on 6's and then transfer it to 7, 5 semitones down later on.

only have to play my 7 for a couple of hours to get the feeling of "Holy Shit This Is Really Small" when I go back to my 6.

and then again when I go back to my 7 "ZOMG This R massive"
:)

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
I feel all of your pain. I b0rked my RG1527 trying to refinish it and now I've used up all that's left of it for spare parts for my 6ers. I've been without 7 for over 3 months now and whenever I play my friend's 7 I remember how awesome it was. But tomorrow the SC-608B shall be mine :D. I wonder how happy 8 strings will make me after getting so used to 6 lol.

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
I definiely play my 7's more these days. I changed the strings and cleaned all of my sixes a week or so ago. It felt good to play them again. The drop C 6 string was my bread and butter for a while. So it was good to play that again. I have them both for a reason though, I love the tone of drop A on the 7, and I love the tone of drop C on the 6. I play different on both, so its good to go back and forth. Although, 9 times out of ten, I am grabbing my C-7 ATX when I go to play.

')