The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score

Aye
God, I wish I used Windows at work.
Single family homes in the U.S. are too expensive and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to buy one if something doesn't change someday.
I was looking at homes in Akron Ohio, they go for less than $300k all day, some decent ones for less than 200! 500k gets you some balling properties.
But I'm pretty sure I'd be miserable in Ohio lol. Guess I'm entitled.

sleewell

Reaction score
A person I work with bought a home down the street from us almost 2 years ago for about twice what we paid. It's nuts. That combined with the current rates there is no chance I'd be able to afford a house.

Reaction score
The more I find out about "features" that require monthly subscriptions in new cars the more I fall into the "fuck buying a new car" camp
I've been looking at getting a newer vehicle for a while, but between the dealer pricing bullshit and all the features I just don't want or need, I'm perfectly fine with driving my 2000 Silverado into the ground with me.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting a newer vehicle for a while, but between the dealer pricing bullshit and all the features I just don't want or need, I'm perfectly fine with driving my 2000 Silverado into the ground with me.
Not that I'm in the market but I feel the same. I'm going to drive my 2014 Camry until it can't be repaired any more.

My employer recently got a brand new F250 because it was cheaper than the F150's. That blows my mind, but at the same time they're packing them with all kinds of creature comforts and turning them into luxury cars.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score

I was looking at homes in Akron Ohio, they go for less than $300k all day, some decent ones for less than 200! 500k gets you some balling properties.
But I'm pretty sure I'd be miserable in Ohio lol. Guess I'm entitled.

My dad lived in Akron for awhile. I wasn't impressed.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Someone screwed up bad when I wake up to messages from all of my non-tech-savvy family saying their jobs are shutdown and their banks aren't working. Apparently, it shut down a bunch of bank systems and tons of people didn't get paid, etc.

Moongrum

Reaction score
My dad lived in Akron for awhile. I wasn't impressed.
I've heard it's shrinking as well, some amenities may be lacking I assume.
Someone screwed up bad when I wake up to messages from all of my non-tech-savvy family saying their jobs are shutdown and their banks aren't working. Apparently, it shut down a bunch of bank systems and tons of people didn't get paid, etc.
Apparently, it affected airports, I've seen online pics of store monitors bluescreen'd...
Makes me happy that I write bullshit software for a bullshit purpose so when things break, it just means some corporate person couldn't book a hotel/plane/etc.
What an odd name, too: Crowdstrike Falcon. Only an American based company would choose a name that sounds like some kind of weapon. I thought that was the name of malware, not the product itself.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've heard it's shrinking as well, some amenities may be lacking I assume.

Apparently, it affected airports, I've seen online pics of store monitors bluescreen'd...
Makes me happy that I write bullshit software for a bullshit purpose so when things break, it just means some corporate person couldn't book a hotel/plane/etc.
What an odd name, too: Crowdstrike Falcon. Only an American based company would choose a name that sounds like some kind of weapon. I thought that was the name of malware, not the product itself.
Just the name made me think it was some kind of virus or malware lol

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Apparently, it affected airports
There's a X (formerly Twitter) thing getting shared around of someone trying to convince an airline gate agent person to let them fix the computer for them.

Just the name made me think it was some kind of virus or malware lol
It's supposed to be quite the opposite - it's a corporate antivirus type thing. I've seen it all over the place. I'd say I'm shocked that such a widespread piece of software screwed up that badly, but then, it's not the first time half the internet was at risk of crumbling over some dumb mistake. See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Npm_left-pad_incident

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Minimally, I wipe my "user data" before taking my car in. I doubt it does much, but it is something.
The newer cars are just too onerous with the data they're trying to collect. Mozilla had a report saying that Nissan (and other brands) were gathering all kinds of sensitive personal information that has nothing to do with safety or diagnostics. That's largely why I'm trying to get a Hilux or an older Tacoma.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
It's the Internet of Things! Your toaster is spying on you! (And you're paying a premium for the privilege.)
1721402449375.png

')