The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I'm trying to buy a Trek currently and 2 of the 3 sellers I've been talking to sold them in the like 8 hours it took me to go get cash. Now the other dude is giving me the run around about when to meet up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Trek bicycle? That's cool. I used to watch Hotline all the time on YouTube and rode fixies for a couple years.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
So update, my daughter doesn't like her spanish teacher because apparently he's mean. My wife's trying to get her schedule changed and all that, but like I said...

I don't know how good Dad's gonna be able to help with the Spanish homework, unless her teacher's a bitch, I could help with that.

Mi pinche nombre es *****.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
I took a punt at some really high paying job applications thinking I wouldn’t get anywhere but I got call backs for both and now I have to actually try and figure my shit out. I’m dumb.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Holy shiiiit my roof was way under budget!!! Turns out I had the wrong quote in my head the entire time. I thought it was gonna be 65k-85k because we were gonna need to re-sheet the entire thing with plywood. Apparently the real quote was 30k-50k or something. Idk where I got the 65-85 in my head from.

Turns out the wood beneath the shingles was in good shape so very minimal wood was needed and the roof was just a hair below $28,000. Took like 15 guys 3 days so I think it's a great deal. Yay!

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Holy shiiiit my roof was way under budget!!! Turns out I had the wrong quote in my head the entire time. I thought it was gonna be 65k-85k because we were gonna need to re-sheet the entire thing with plywood. Apparently the real quote was 30k-50k or something. Idk where I got the 65-85 in my head from.

Turns out the wood beneath the shingles was in good shape so very minimal wood was needed and the roof was just a hair below $28,000. Took like 15 guys 3 days so I think it's a great deal. Yay!
Glad its done and under original budget.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I took a punt at some really high paying job applications thinking I wouldn’t get anywhere but I got call backs for both and now I have to actually try and figure my shit out. I’m dumb.
That's not dumb. You get paid what people think you're worth, so chase that bag and convince them you deserve that salary🤑

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I’m dumb.
Or you're not giving yourself enough credit. One of the smartest things a dumb person can do is surround themselves with smarter people - if you can get yourself into a room where you're the dumbest guy in the room, you've cracked into a wealth of learning opportunity.

Also, pro tip - use some variation of that line in the interviews. It's a compliment to them, makes you look like you really want it, indicates a readiness to grow, an opportunity for them to shape you in the image of the employee they really want, etc. If I was hiring, I'd want the guy who brings something to the table now but wants to grow with us, rather than the guy who thinks he knows everything already.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Also, pro tip - use some variation of that line in the interviews. It's a compliment to them, makes you look like you really want it, indicates a readiness to grow, an opportunity for them to shape you in the image of the employee they really want, etc. If I was hiring, I'd want the guy who brings something to the table now but wants to grow with us, rather than the guy who thinks he knows everything already.
Can confirm. My current position was an industry hop for me but going back to something I had education in but was never able to break into.
I repeatedly made this and my general waryness in committing to stepping into a mid-level position in an industry I had never worked in before very clear in my interview. At some point they told me "We know, we're actually looking at that as a positive; because we can teach you the right way to do things, and in the meantime, you won't be cowboying shit."
I've found bluntness to be way more beneficial in the job hunt than I was initially led to believe :lol:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I get pretty annoyed with how awful career advice online tends to be - like the wealth of conversation about "resume gaps", as if anyone actually cares about those. Hyperfocusing on how to lie about or excuse resume gaps entirely misses the point. It's like the idea of tailoring a resume for the job you want has vanished into the ether - there's a gap there because whatever happened during that time isn't relevant to the application, next question.

The best advice I've seen usually goes entirely unheeded in those conversations - you can practice answering all the "trick questions" in an interview all you want, but it's not going to help you much if and when they aren't actually trick questions - because they aren't. I've interviewed people before. Interview questions aren't like a high school exit exam or something, the questions are chosen for particular reasons, and we want someone to demonstrate that they understand the reason the question is being asked. Half the time you don't even have to have the right answer, you just have to provide what the interviewer was hoping to learn by asking.

Like if I ask you to describe a time you had a conflict with a coworker, and how you resolved it. If I ask a question, it's because I want you to paint me a picture of what you think good conflict resolution looks like. I don't care if it's a real story. I don't even care if you're admitting a mistake (it might even be good if you're admitting you made a mistake). I just want to know what you think good conflict resolution looks like, in whatever way you want to illustrate that.

But I would never ask someone to explain a gap. Why would I need to know that? If I'm asking about a particular time frame, it's probably for a different reason than there being a gap. Like if someone's resume is almost entirely covered by career hopping, I might want to know why that is. Are you the kind of person who quickly gets into conflicts with management and then jumps ship? Are you the kind of person who sticks around just long enough to pad your experience and then uses hops every year to boost your pay? Are you getting fired from all these places? THESE are things I'd want to know. Literally zero people care if you took a year between school and work. Literally zero people care if you had a medical issue that took you out of the workforce for 6 months and it's the only anomaly on an otherwise good record. Literally nobody cares if, after being laid off for perfectly normal reasons, you decided to blow your savings on a vacation before diving strait back into the 9-5. Nobody cares if you took a a temporary job that's so far removed from what you're applying for now that you didn't think it was meaningful to include. No place I would actually want to work for cares about these things.

Anyway - welcome to my LinkedIn Lunatics rant.

')