The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Put about eight hours into it. I actually have a lot of good things to say about it, but not that I think it's a fun game at all. Only game I have ever thrown out, but to be fair I bought it used on top of a discount. I'm also the only person I know in existence who had not played it.
I haven't played any RDR game 🤜🤛

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I can't help but think this gets exaggerated. Maybe not in terms of the actual "value", since the "value" of software is arbitrary, but how many of those games are bonuses people got with bundles, or promotional giveaways, or steep discounts that people grabbed because $1 for a whole series made more sense than $10 for the single game you wanted - and I'd be willing to put money on the idea that whatever value there is in unplayed games is easily dwarfed by how much money is pissed away in microtransactions. People spend a soul crushing amount on microtransactions.

I don't know if it's that exaggerated tbh. I mean, I've got maybe 100€ worth of unplayed games in my Xbox library - some that I actually intend to play at some point and lots that I just bought because they were cheap and seemed like I might consider playing at some point. And I'm just one person and relatively new to the buying digital content thing (I think the first digital game I bought was Fallout 4, so about 8-9 years ago).

So considering Steam has existed a long time before that, they have millions of users and people buy a lot more than I do, I'd say it could easily rack up to billions in total.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I just mean that there's a lot of ways to measure the worth of unplayed games. Is this billions in spent money? Is this billions in estimated "value" at the retail cost of the titles? What about the folks like myself who just chronically collect any free games? Keeping in mind that Steams reporting of these things isn't super reliable. Steam lists a lot of games as "unplayed" for me when I've clearly played them. Or sometimes I'll have games I buy in steam because I already played them as a kid and figured I should actually pay for it now that I can. There's just lots of room for interpretation here.

Demiurge

Reaction score
It's possible that there some fuzzy math behind that "billions in unplayed games" claim, but it's one of those things that is in-line with the jokes so people accept it because it feels true enough.

I've played 65% of the games in my Steam library either substantially or to completion, but that other 35% is almost evenly split between never-played and early-abandoned. I don't feel too bad about it, though it's one of those modern conveniences that would stun my younger self who had to rely on the local video store to try new games.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Personally, I can't feel that bad about having a library of entertainment that I don't touch, when so many folks make much more egregious spending "mistakes" without batting an eye. I've certainly spent a lot on games, but I'd be willing to bet almost any smoker or drinker has eclipsed my gaming spend several times over on their vice of choice. I wouldn't even be shocked if I've spent more money on coffee than games. When you collect it all together, it seems like gaming has sunk a lot of money for nothing, but then again, it's providing for people - putting money into circulation, keeping folks employed, etc. But it's not that much money in the grand scheme. Google claims cigarettes are in the hundreds of billions of dollars per year spent.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I can't feel that bad about having a library of entertainment that I don't touch, when so many folks make much more egregious spending "mistakes" without batting an eye. I've certainly spent a lot on games, but I'd be willing to bet almost any smoker or drinker has eclipsed my gaming spend several times over on their vice of choice. I wouldn't even be shocked if I've spent more money on coffee than games. When you collect it all together, it seems like gaming has sunk a lot of money for nothing, but then again, it's providing for people - putting money into circulation, keeping folks employed, etc. But it's not that much money in the grand scheme. Google claims cigarettes are in the hundreds of billions of dollars per year spent.
Yeah but smoking looks cooler than gaming, unless you're the Power Glove kid.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I've spent way more on gear in my life than gaming, yet I've got a handful of completed songs to my name while having beaten dozens of games. So no guilt, mainly because it all means nothing anyway!

')