The Fishman Fluence Thread

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have them, they're silent on humbucking mode. Maybe you're having a wiring problem
What about Single coil voice? Silent as well?
Double check your wiring, you may have missed a jumper somewhere. When I installed the MKH set a little while ago I installed everything according to the wiring diagram and it was very noisy/buzzy when I first plugged it in. Kinda like a high gain amp with no noise gate sort of noise. I went back over the diagram and realized I missed a jumper wire between the volume and tone pots. It was on the diagram in a spot where it was easy to miss it due to a bunch of other wires in the same spot. I soldered that last wire in and they are dead quiet now. Could be something like that.
Will go over the wiring once again soon. They have different wiring instructions for this set, like "Fishman preferred wiring" and then "Abasi preferred wiring" and then some other wiring. Kind of confusing.
Unlike other actives, Fishman seems to recommend grounding the bridge. Make sure you did that.
Yeah, the bridge is grounded

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elkoki

Reaction score
What about Single coil voice? Silent as well?

Will go over the wiring once again soon. They have different wiring instructions for this set, like "Fishman preferred wiring" and then "Abasi preferred wiring" and then some other wiring. Kind of confusing.

Yeah, the bridge is grounded
No , the single coil is a bit noisy for me, humbucking is pretty much silent. Except I have noticed that the neck on most Fluence pickups I've tried have a very very slight hiss on humbucker mode , I've heard of other people having the same thing though so I guess it's normal.

cmpxchg

Reaction score
Finally did the low gain thing on my Moderns. I like it! It's different, not as "yep that's a boosted pickup," but I can still boost if I want ludicrous output and it works much better for lower gain tones.

elkoki

Reaction score
Does the tone of Fluece's change / suffer as the battery loses power? Would buying a battery pack keep the tone more consistent ?

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Does the tone of Fluece's change / suffer as the battery loses power? Would buying a battery pack keep the tone more consistent ?
only when the battery is really close to dying. Rechargeable batteries are an easy option. I use the tenergy rechargeable ones and they work great tbh

mrvomit

Reaction score
Hi! need a bit of help with a wiring with fluence modern .
Ordered and in the way a set of moderns to try in my Dean at the place of the 707 though i did read mixed reviews about
( a reverb deal ).

If i dig them , do any of you happen to have the wiring for : 1 Switch 5-way + 1 Volume push/pull ? No tone pot.
in Their site i found a similar wiring only for classics that includes voice 3 , no other for 1v + 1 switch.
I would like to use use vol pot /pull just for voice changing , and the switch for something i am familiar like :
Br series , split outers , split inner coils , parallel neck ,series neck .
Series / parallels being the most important but at least a split .Still have to look for a suitable switch ( will be a sort of superswitch i suppose)

Modern bridge ceramic expecially has mixed reviews i see , perhaps debated with if hf tilt or -6db brought some peace of mind.
wil try also the Alnico one before to rewire.
ps: Also ( as info) i cannot find a correct labeled output /db for any ( not for emgs either btw)

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi! need a bit of help with a wiring with fluence modern .
Ordered and in the way a set of moderns to try in my Dean at the place of the 707 though i did read mixed reviews about
( a reverb deal ).

If i dig them , do any of you happen to have the wiring for : 1 Switch 5-way + 1 Volume push/pull ? No tone pot.
in Their site i found a similar wiring only for classics that includes voice 3 , no other for 1v + 1 switch.
I would like to use use vol pot /pull just for voice changing , and the switch for something i am familiar like :
Br series , split outers , split inner coils , parallel neck ,series neck .
Series / parallels being the most important but at least a split .Still have to look for a suitable switch ( will be a sort of superswitch i suppose)

Modern bridge ceramic expecially has mixed reviews i see , perhaps debated with if hf tilt or -6db brought some peace of mind.
wil try also the Alnico one before to rewire.
ps: Also ( as info) i cannot find a correct labeled output /db for any ( not for emgs either btw)
You need a 5 way super switch. Then you can do one pot for the voicing. Can’t do it in a normal switch.

mrvomit

Reaction score
You need a 5 way super switch. Then you can do one pot for the voicing. Can’t do it in a normal switch.
thank you i' m quite sure i need a superswitch or similar , it's the wiring that i dont find : for 1 vol +1 pot push pull .
Found only wiring for "classics " which involves voice 3 with that configuration , and moderns with an "Oak gisby superswitch 5-way " + very different config. though Someone who knows could figure out from those perhaps? .
Parallel not possible , split yes , i dont care much about both" full on" , just not digging hum noise .Here the closest i found :

Last edited:

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No , the single coil is a bit noisy for me, humbucking is pretty much silent. Except I have noticed that the neck on most Fluence pickups I've tried have a very very slight hiss on humbucker mode , I've heard of other people having the same thing though so I guess it's normal.

I can confirm this as well. In addition, the split coil sounds have tons of hiss/noise. Even more than some of the traditional single coils I have. From my experience the Fishman pickups aren't "noiseless", or even "very low noise". I have a Steinberger Spirit with OEM Steinberger (EMG) Pickups with a lower noise floor. While they are "less compressed" than EMG's they are also quite a bit hotter, perhaps similar to the SD Blackouts, which sound like an active pickup with a built-in overdrive.

mrvomit

Reaction score
Looks i found something , posting here in case someone need it later on
( Fluence 1 vol push pull for voices , 1 x 5-way super switch Dimarzio with split supposedly hum canceling for people bothering about noise like me )

Actually to do that easier ( i THINK , not sure ) : you have to look at left bottom Pad connector-wires as normal 2 wires ( + ground picked from another spot left up ) before to look elsewhere , doing wiring thinking like that ,then proceeding as you would do with every other pickup set with those wires in mind.
And then , separately , later on, look at the right upper section connections considering them just like "switches" ( 2 connection for every option) to be added where you need .
Well dunno , at least i found that one so shared it .
____

Last edited:

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can confirm this as well. In addition, the split coil sounds have tons of hiss/noise. Even more than some of the traditional single coils I have. From my experience the Fishman pickups aren't "noiseless", or even "very low noise". I have a Steinberger Spirit with OEM Steinberger (EMG) Pickups with a lower noise floor. While they are "less compressed" than EMG's they are also quite a bit hotter, perhaps similar to the SD Blackouts, which sound like an active pickup with a built-in overdrive.
Right, I redid my wiring, so most of the noise is gone, but there is still this hiss in humbucking mode, that sounds like a preamp noise, I guess. It's barely noticeable, though.
Single coils are noisy, not as noisy as my passive telecaster, but a bit noisier than DiMarzio DP422 BK Injector that I recently installed in other guitar. And they are super bright! Anyway, I like the sound of Fishmans and I consider getting myself another set in near future.

elkoki

Reaction score
Looks i found something , posting here in case someone need it later on
( Fluence 1 vol push pull for voices , 1 x 5-way super switch Dimarzio with split supposedly hum canceling for people bothering about noise like me )

Actually to do that easier ( i THINK , not sure ) : you have to look at left bottom Pad connector-wires as normal 2 wires ( + ground picked from another spot left up ) before to look elsewhere , doing wiring thinking like that ,then proceeding as you would do with every other pickup set with those wires in mind.
And then , separately , later on, look at the right upper section connections considering them just like "switches" ( 2 connection for every option) to be added where you need .
Well dunno , at least i found that one so shared it .
____

I wasn't complaining about noise, was just saying the single coil mode DOES hum but the humbucking mode is pretty much silent to me.

elkoki

Reaction score
only when the battery is really close to dying. Rechargeable batteries are an easy option. I use the tenergy rechargeable ones and they work great tbh
I was able to get an open box deal on a Fluence battery pack for $40 shipped . Normally it’s $100. I already have a guitar with a battery compartment , so does it seem pointless to add it on ? I guess I can hold onto it and use it for another guitar in the future . Didn’t want to pass up on the deal though

mrvomit

Reaction score
I wasn't complaining about noise, was just saying the single coil mode DOES hum but the humbucking mode is pretty much silent to me.
Good! i was not answering to you though . I just found a wiring i did not find here nor official which i was looking for ( and did ask about the message before ) and posted it here so everyone else could have if in need someday ;cheers
s -Coils Must hum ,shielded or not. it's s like that if not counterphased( but in that case are not true s-coils). Also about "more or less hum ", difficult to state for everybody else : since hum takes noise from OUTSIDE sources( for his 50/60hz cycles) there's a lot of differece from the room / rehearsal rooms you are in . Not even mentioning difference between " plugins or in a rehersal chair" versus "rehearse room full of turned on gear". Have a nice day!

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
^Saw that too. He later denied they’re the Fluff ones.

Based on the Open Cores. Satchel sigs maybe?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^Saw that too. He later denied they’re the Fluff ones.

Based on the Open Cores. Satchel sigs maybe?
I think the Fluff ones are gonna be Modern-housed so yeah not surprised.

Some other things he said are this is "Standard" series (not Custom series and MAYBE not Signature series?), something "completely different" (FWIW he was responding to someone asking if these were the Fluff pickups or something else, so I'm not sure if that's "completely different" than the Fluffs or in general), and they AREN'T high output pickups.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Hmm. Considering the Classics/Open Core Classics cover vintage and hot rod pups, I’m at a bit of a loss.

Maybe OCCs with ceramic magnets but still lower output? Kind of like a Duncan Custom or BKP Cold Sweat?

juka

Reaction score
Hmm. Considering the Classics/Open Core Classics cover vintage and hot rod pups, I’m at a bit of a loss.

Maybe OCCs with ceramic magnets but still lower output? Kind of like a Duncan Custom or BKP Cold Sweat?
Don't forget they have already covered the higher output open core design with the Javier Reyes sigs, although they don't appear to have been a big hit so far. The Keith Merrow pups on the other hand were quite a success, so maybe they are not willing to throw that design away just because they have parted ways with him.
So my best goes would be rebranded Merrows and my second best guess would be McRocklins in standard color, because there have been voices telling that if those ever would be made available to the masses than not in purple but in a more mass friendly color (which I would regret very much, because we really need more color options on Fishman!!!).

')