The Fishman Fluence Thread

Reaction score
only when the battery is really close to dying. Rechargeable batteries are an easy option. I use the tenergy rechargeable ones and they work great tbh
Which tenergy 9V batteries are you using? The 600mah ones? Do you find they last as long as a traditional 9V or do you need to recharge them more often? Most of my guitars have active pickups (EMG and Fishman) and have been thinking about switching to some kind of rechargeable battery. I was just worried that since the rechargeable 9V batteries aren't 9V when fully charged like the regular alkaline batteries that it may have an effect on the tone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Which tenergy 9V batteries are you using? The 600mah ones? Do you find they last as long as a traditional 9V or do you need to recharge them more often? Most of my guitars have active pickups (EMG and Fishman) and have been thinking about switching to some kind of rechargeable battery. I was just worried that since the rechargeable 9V batteries aren't 9V when fully charged like the regular alkaline batteries that it may have an effect on the tone.
The 200mAh ones. I have zero issues with them tbh. They last longer than 9v and I don't really need to recharge them often. They come with a couple of batteries and one battery tends to last me multiple months before I have to charge it. Granted I'm not constantly playing the guitar either, so ymmv

Reaction score
The 200mAh ones. I have zero issues with them tbh. They last longer than 9v and I don't really need to recharge them often. They come with a couple of batteries and one battery tends to last me multiple months before I have to charge it. Granted I'm not constantly playing the guitar either, so ymmv
Thanks. Just to be sure, you are talking about these ones:

Amazon product ASIN B003MRF9G8
They are NiMH and are slow discharge, which would seem to work well in guitars and other electronics like wireless microphones and stuff.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I recently switched to using rechargeable 9V batteries in my Boden 8. 600 mAh, just plug em directly to a USB port and they begin to charge. I think their real voltage is somewhere between 8.5 and 8.7, I forget exactly. The guitar sounds exactly the same, and I don't worry about having to change batteries as much because I always have another charged battery around. (Came in a pack of 6.)

Haven't had to change batteries yet.

karnivorus

Reaction score
So finally decided to join the fluence club. I got a modern ceramic in brushed stainless for the bridge.

Been mainly using the 81 for the past 20 years and the first thing I've noticed is the insane clarity the fluence have. Also the picking response is very immidiate. So far I'm really enjoying them even in standard E tuning.

They do require to change the way I usually eq my amps but I guess its to be expected after using the same pickups for so long.

All in all the I think the clarity and picking response provide a better starting foundation for my tone than the EMGs.

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So finally decided to join the fluence club. I got a modern ceramic in brushed stainless for the bridge.

Been mainly using the 81 for the past 20 years and the first thing I've noticed is the insane clarity the fluence have. Also the picking response is very immidiate. So far I'm really enjoying them even in standard E tuning.

They do require to change the way I usually eq my amps but I guess its to be expected after using the same pickups for so long.

All in all the I think the clarity and picking response provide a better starting foundation for my tone than the EMGs.
Congrats, man!

I had EMG 85/81 in the past, and then went to passives, and then back to actives again. Never ending story :) Honestly, I find modern better sounding than EMG, but that's my least favorite Fishman. They have other models that are better to my ears.

What do you have in the neck? Do you plan getting other Fishman models a shot?

karnivorus

Reaction score
Congrats, man!

I had EMG 85/81 in the past, and then went to passives, and then back to actives again. Never ending story :) Honestly, I find modern better sounding than EMG, but that's my least favorite Fishman. They have other models that are better to my ears.

What do you have in the neck? Do you plan getting other Fishman models a shot?
Yes sure I might try other models in the future. Wich one would you recommend?

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes sure I might try other models in the future. Wich one would you recommend?
Right now my main guitar has Abasi set, and that sounds amazing. Close to modern, but cleans are nicer, and a bit less compressed. This weekend I've installed single coils set on strat, didn't have much time to play with it yet, but first impression is very positive - classic strat "quack" without noise. Next purchase is going to be classic set and after that Killswitch Engaged set (the tightest from all the models) for downtuning.

Reaction score
I have to say, I'm actually interested in the Classics. Not enough to buy a set but they sound good. The guitar I have on back order I believe has Classics so I'm looking forward to hearing them in person..and I'm hoping the guitar doesn't come with Moderns. Here's hoping.

Strobe

Reaction score
I have to say, I'm actually interested in the Classics. Not enough to buy a set but they sound good. The guitar I have on back order I believe has Classics so I'm looking forward to hearing them in person..and I'm hoping the guitar doesn't come with Moderns. Here's hoping.

They're great. I am a pretty big Fishman fan and own the modern, TA, SAttach filestrat, and Tele sets. I own two of the classics - they are my favorite of the bunch and I mostly play heavy music. They're fairly bright - and I favor voice 2.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
A Classic with a little less harsh highs and tamer, tighter lows would be my ideal Fishman IMO. Someone brought up a Fluence based on the Duncan SH-5 Classic would be absolutely killer.

Reaction score
A Classic with a little less harsh highs and tamer, tighter lows would be my ideal Fishman IMO. Someone brought up a Fluence based on the Duncan SH-5 Classic would be absolutely killer.
The SD Custom is my go-to pickup. I have it on all of my guitars. It'd be interesting to hear how the Classic compares

Koldunya

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just finished installing the 4-string bass modern soapbars in my SRC6. It's a lot of fun, and for funsies it even does "the brutals metals" heavy chugging thing like a champ.

Sounds really good in a lot of different settings. The only thing I would have done differently is put a 5-string set in my Stiletto Studio 5 that also has EMG HZs XD

I might also play with the single coil settings. it's a solder jumper to determine if it's the inner or outer coil you get on the split but right now I like it pretty well as-is (inners) though it feels like outers, or a combination, would be closer to a "J Bass spacing."

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
f
A long time ago, Fishman put out their isolated sound bank. I was able to download it. For some reason it disappeared from the internet and I couldnt find it from searching. I put everything from the sound bank into one video. Its organized by pickup and voice.

fucking invaluable dude thanks so much

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score

this is precisely the reason that I switched to Fishmans. I started with an EMG 81 for years. Then I ended up switching to the Seymour Duncan Blackout EMTY pickups as I liked their EQ spread a little better and they had a little less noise. But once I tried my first set of Fluence Moderns in the Ibanez DCM100, I was sold through and through. Now every guitar i have is Fluence equipped:

-KXK Sii-7 baritone 7 with Moderns in modified Drop A (ADADGBE)
-Ibanez RGDR4327 with Moderns in B standard (BEADGBE)
-Ibanez JCRGA8420 with Moderns in Drop D (DADGBE)
-Ibanez RG970XL with Moderns in Drop A# (A# F A# D# G C)
-Ibanez RGIB6 with Moderns in "Staind" Drop Ab (Ab Db Ab Db Gb Bb)
-Ibanez MBM (aka RGA121H) with Moderns in Drop-C (CGCFAD)

While they dont sound exactly the same, having the same pickups in them all helps give them all a great set of "bones" to work with. Kinda like giving me the same awesome quality cake underneath, with different frosting types. I know some folks hate them for that quality, but its what i like most. That and the clarity level, and low to non-existent noise when compared to other pups, keeps me sold on Fishmans for now :D

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
oh since I'm in this thread this is a PSA you want the Javier set

does it djent? no
does it do 80s? no
does it to old school death metal? no
does it do the clicky polyphia thing? no

does it make a super low tuned guitar sound like an instrument and not a 1kh spike of scratchy death? hell yeah

more notes on this to come

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
oh since I'm in this thread this is a PSA you want the Javier set

does it djent? no
does it do 80s? no
does it to old school death metal? no
does it do the clicky polyphia thing? no

does it make a super low tuned guitar sound like an instrument and not a 1kh spike of scratchy death? hell yeah

more notes on this to come

weren't Javier's and Tosin's engineered with focus on good clean tones rather than high gain tones?

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
weren't Javier's and Tosin's engineered with focus on good clean tones rather than high gain tones?

I'm not completely sure, the demos on the fishman channel show a lot of high gain stuff but it's not really chuggy type shit that everyone uses fluences for.

I'm hopefully gonna do a big writeup when I've got a moment with some clips but it's not like they're engineered solely for cleans, they sound batshit insane with gain and boosts piled on top of them. They just aren't voiced like a typical high gain pickup. I think the reason most metal players don't like them is because they're pretty smooth and kind of ridiculously dynamic.

It's pretty much the opposite of an EMG 81, which has this razor sharp cutting high end and great compression that means they're about the most punchy thing in existence. Voice 1 definitely feels a little woofy and relaxed in comparison but even compared to the Bare Knuckle Nailbomb I have in my other guitar it's super clear, very tight still, and sits very well in a mix.

Voice 2 kinda adds some more compression and high mids but really not a lot, it's more of a feel change than a total EQ shift and it's a little bit subtle but definitely good to have. I will say these things kill for lead lines and multi string chords. Not flubby at all, just not the mega tight icepicky high output thing the moderns do in the wrong guitar.

Sorry that ended up being long but like they get heavy as shit and are 100% meant for high gain, just not what's trending right now.

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know about Javier's, but I have Tosin's and they are killing in high gain territory. And the clean is very interesting as well. That's my favorite set by now (I also have Classic, Killswitch Engage and strat SC set)

')