The Fishman Fluence Thread

Hoss632

Reaction score
These comparisons are great and what you said is spot on to me too. They do have less bass than EMGs still!
Im getting more and more impressed with the sound of 85s in the bridge and also that 57 sounds really nice.
Im going to have to finally get around to trying more EMGs soon. Ive been a dual 81 and done kinda guy for years now. I might get dual 85s for my Baritone just to be different. Then buy another Bari and try the 57's
The thing I dislike about my ceramic modern, im still hearing in the alnico version above (all be it much less prominent)
Between the 81 and 85, I prefer the 85 more as well, though I still feel in tunings below Drop C the 81 shines more than the 85. The tighter low end really helps it I think. the 57/66 combo is one I really want to try, especially in a 7 string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
So, as a certified Neanderthal, somehow the thought never occurred to me to change the bass settings on my amp block to counteract how bassy V2 is in the bridge position with the Abasi’s. :lol:

With that said, V2 is sick and has at least, for now, killed my urge to swap pickups. I’m probably going to stockpile some EMGs so I can hot swap whenever my ears get sick of one or the other.

juka

Reaction score
These comparisons are great and what you said is spot on to me too. They do have less bass than EMGs still!
Im getting more and more impressed with the sound of 85s in the bridge and also that 57 sounds really nice.
Im going to have to finally get around to trying more EMGs soon. Ive been a dual 81 and done kinda guy for years now. I might get dual 85s for my Baritone just to be different. Then buy another Bari and try the 57's
The thing I dislike about my ceramic modern, im still hearing in the alnico version above (all be it much less prominent)
Don't want to derail that thread because there's also a very active EMG thread on this forum, but at the time I still was playing 6string only I loved the 85 in the bridge position and the 57 when it came out. Had at least 6 sets of each and although my ears are not so good each one sounded noticeable different. In the end this massive inconsistency drove me in the arms of Fluence and the fact that I never bonded with the 7string versions of the EMGs. I found Fluence not only way more consistent in-between sets but also between 6- and 7string versions of each pickup.
Now I love my Classic 7 open core sets the most. Really underrated pickups!

juka

Reaction score
So Polyphia just have been announced as newest addition to the Fluence rooster.
Although this hasn't been said in the official press release, Ken Susi indicated in his weekly live that both guitar players will get signature/custom sets.
Not sure how much their sets really will differ from the open core classics, but always looking forward to new additions to the Fluence line and hoping that they will not be 6string only.

Hoss632

Reaction score
That'll be pretty cool. I know Tosin and Javier have already shown fishman's can be very versatile with their style of play. So I'd imagine Scott and Tim will show that even further. Wouldn't be surprised if they do the 5 way super switch set up.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
The LACS guitars that they've been using in basically every music video for the new album have been two-humbucker guitars, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were Fishmans with the single-coil voicing.

Kellz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if I can get some info on how to properly set up my fishman fluence modern 7 string set in my schecter c7 sls elite. I find them super harsh on my ears even after rolling back the tone and volume knob. I'm thinking about selling my otherwise really nice guitar because of that.

I did a lot of research about the recommended pickup hight and did it by ear aswell but found no success in both. Even lowering them super low almost makes no difference because of the nature of active pickups. There is so much rustle, hiss and swoosh in the pickups it honestly drives me crazy no matter the pickup hight.

I use neural dsp plugins (gojira, john petrucci, fortin cali suite) connected to a focusrite scarlett audio interface connected with headphones or studio monitors. All high quality stuff.

Is it correct to put them at an angle as you see in the pictures to have the same distance to the high and low strings or is it better to have them straight ? Do you have any recommendations for me? Swapping out the pickups is no option for me I rather sell the guitar. Could there be a technical problem?

I did swap the battery multiple times aswell.

What else can I do directly on the guitar? Any help is very appreciated because I'm out of solutions :(

20221115_212140.jpg
20221115_212142.jpg
20221115_212152.jpg

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Are you saying the pickups are noisy or just harsh sounding. The Fluence Moderns are notorious for being very midrangey and bright. They just might not be your thing.

Kellz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are you saying the pickups are noisy or just harsh sounding. The Fluence Moderns are notorious for being very midrangey and bright. They just might not be your thing.
Yes exactly, I was just thinking maybe I can make them sound better to my ear or I have them set up wrong but I kind of lost hope by now. Such a beautiful guitar really unfortunate selling it off.

zjb7777

Reaction score
Yes exactly, I was just thinking maybe I can make them sound better to my ear or I have them set up wrong but I kind of lost hope by now. Such a beautiful guitar really unfortunate selling it off.
You may have better luck with the Tosin Abasi set. I really liked them but ended up selling the 7 string they were in. To me they're a bit less harsh and midrange focused than the Moderns. You could also try swapping the pickups around so the Alnico is in the bridge, that's the only way I really like the modern set honestly.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if I can get some info on how to properly set up my fishman fluence modern 7 string set in my schecter c7 sls elite. I find them super harsh on my ears even after rolling back the tone and volume knob. I'm thinking about selling my otherwise really nice guitar because of that.

I did a lot of research about the recommended pickup hight and did it by ear aswell but found no success in both. Even lowering them super low almost makes no difference because of the nature of active pickups. There is so much rustle, hiss and swoosh in the pickups it honestly drives me crazy no matter the pickup hight.

I use neural dsp plugins (gojira, john petrucci, fortin cali suite) connected to a focusrite scarlett audio interface connected with headphones or studio monitors. All high quality stuff.

Is it correct to put them at an angle as you see in the pictures to have the same distance to the high and low strings or is it better to have them straight ? Do you have any recommendations for me? Swapping out the pickups is no option for me I rather sell the guitar. Could there be a technical problem?

I did swap the battery multiple times aswell.

What else can I do directly on the guitar? Any help is very appreciated because I'm out of solutions :(

View attachment 117136View attachment 117137View attachment 117138

It took me time to learn to deal with my Strandberg with Moderns in it. It did the one thing very well (dj0nt), but I struggled with anything else. It's just an extremely mid-rangey setup on that guitar.

I find that it's all in the EQing of it. I basically try to cut high mids a bit and boost bass frequencies to make them a bit more robust sounding and less shrill. I also use NDSP plugins almost exclusively, (including the ones you mentioned) and an EQ in your DAW on your input signal (or a physical EQ pedal before your DAI) works best to control what goes into your amp. I almost always use Voice 2 (the passive voice) for something a little bit flatter and tame, EQ wise. I use Voice 1 almost as a boost only. I found that pickup height only does so much with the Moderns.

Also, you're not helping yourself by using Gojira, Petrucci, and Cali with Moderns. :lol: I find it's really easy to go super wild with the mid range on those plugins, especially Gojira. Holy crap the mids on that thing are ridiculous, even with the knobs at 12 o clock. Cali is just pretty fizzy overall, and Petrucci just dials in very differently. (I find myself a lot more reliant on the EQ section of the plugin.) Not to say they aren't all fantastic plugins, they are, but I find their mid to high mid ranges are a little wild.

Hoss632

Reaction score
Couple of suggestions. Not sure if both pick ups for you sound overly bright or just mainly the bridge. if it's the bridge maybe swap them around as the neck is an alnico set up vs ceramic so might mellow the brightness. Also you can get a hi frequency "tilt" I think it's called from fishman that can help roll the highs off.

mrvomit

Reaction score
YEah i did post a while back about to swap position of pu's ( for me works better .. still.. i prefer passives i cant get in love with those and 707s neither , but soapbar size forced me ).
MOREover , mandatory i.mo is to place/ activate the -5db jumper on both pu's
Then you can engage hf- tilt but if you want to try without to mess with solders and/or remove pickups all the time :
As i did post a while back = take jumper wires + pc jumpers on am**n to do that externally and compare on the fly without installing /soldering pots ( look for a previous post of mine here ) .
Let pass wires from pu's into cavity and let them go out from back so you can add jumper to wires , that would also decide what to leave as "fixed" later on

cmpxchg

Reaction score
Replaced the Moderns that came in my Duvell with Javier Reyes yesterday. Pain in the ass to install due to how the Moderns were split (I still don't really understand the modern coil tap wiring), but honeymoon review of the Javiers:

- Javier bridge is way more to my taste than the Modern. lower output, no big mid honk, way more like a medium-hot passive (reminds me more of a Nailbomb than the Modern for sure)
- the neck is thiccc. probably need to play with pickup height more. when I first tried them and the neck was too high, it sounded like a fuzz
- bridge + neck in single coil sound great! dang!
- doesn't quite "feel" like a passive set, but it's a lot closer than the Moderns. figure I'll give these a shot, and if I just can't gel with them after a while, I'll pick up some Elysians or something.

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Replaced the Moderns that came in my Duvell with Javier Reyes yesterday. Pain in the ass to install due to how the Moderns were split (I still don't really understand the modern coil tap wiring), but honeymoon review of the Javiers:

- Javier bridge is way more to my taste than the Modern. lower output, no big mid honk, way more like a medium-hot passive (reminds me more of a Nailbomb than the Modern for sure)
- the neck is thiccc. probably need to play with pickup height more. when I first tried them and the neck was too high, it sounded like a fuzz
- bridge + neck in single coil sound great! dang!
- doesn't quite "feel" like a passive set, but it's a lot closer than the Moderns. figure I'll give these a shot, and if I just can't gel with them after a while, I'll pick up some Elysians or something.
Javier and Abasi are my two favorite sets. Ironically, I don't like their music so much, but the pickups are awesome!

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
The EMG singles are so amazing I dont see why the Fishman holdup is such a big deal haha
I've never had the chance to try Fishmans or EMGs, so I have no dog in this fight, but your one-man crusade against Fishman is  very entertaining to watch.

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never had the chance to try Fishmans or EMGs, so I have no dog in this fight, but your one-man crusade against Fishman is  very entertaining to watch.
Well, I don't know much about crusades :sephi:, but I have guitars with Fishman single coils, EMG single coils and passive Alnico 2 and 5 single coils, and to me they all sound decent. Different, but decent. If I compare Fishman to EMG, to my ears EMG set has more clarity/brightness and less preamp noise on high gain. Fishmans are a bit harsh, especially the bridge, but with HF tilt it sounds just fine.

lewis

Reaction score
You know I use Fishmans right ?
I'm just saying whilst waiting why not get the EMG singles ?
Their solderless wiring works perfectly with the fishmans so when they finally do drop, it's a 10 second switch over.

Latest posts

')