The Fishman Fluence Thread

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

There's your Polyphia Fishmans

Tim's signature Fishman Fluence pickups span the entire range of aggressive lead and rhythm tones to the cleanest of clean single coil combinations, even touching on sounds Tim was previously only able to produce with his acoustic guitars. NeckPickup Voice 1: Thick and smooth neck humbucker / Voice 2: Hyper-clean, nylon string surrogate/ Voice 3: Tim's fluid neck single coil Bridge Pickup Voice 1: Based on Fishman's hot-rodded Classic voice, the quintessential lead tone of generation / Voice 2: Combination of Tim's favorite bridge humbuckers / Voice 3: Tim's ideal single coil combination tone when used in conjunction with neck coil.

cott's customFishman® FluenceTM pickups span the entire range of aggressive lead and rhythm tones to vintage single coil combinations. Neck Pickup Voice 1 (Vintage PAF): The ideal, elusive PAF neck tone with the dynamics and output level you want. / Voice 2 (Clear, airy chime): A Fluence-exclusive neck tone, with unreal highs, vocal midrange, and tight lows. / Voice 3 (Clear, Vintage Single Coil) Bridge Pickup Voice 1 (Vintage PAF): The ideal, calibrated vintage PAF bridge humbucker tone at the perfect output level. / Voice 2 (Classic Hot Rod): The quintessential hot rodded bridge humbucker tone without all the baggage. / Voice 3 (Slightly Overwound SingleCoil).

Tim's pickups actually sound like a new set. Scott's uh... sounds like the Classics. :lol: I guess it makes sense because Tim's is badges as a signature set and Scott's is badged as a custom set.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Neck v2 of Tim's set sounds interesting. Like it's meant to emulate a nylon/classical acoustic? Or at least have the same qualities.

juka

Reaction score
And again this keeps me wondering what's going wrong at Fishman?
Again they let a guitar company spill the news, again they need a "big artist" just to release a new color variant for an existing set and they probably again will tell us that these are 6string only because that's what the artist plays (although the Polyphia guys jump around a lot with 7strings in their videos).
Still hoping for the neck v2 acoustic sound and that they not just tried to find a better known artist for their Javier Reyes set ;-)

washburned

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yup 2 tone one 1 volume config so that shouldn't be a problem I don't think

This seems to make sense since even the same types of wood have to vary from cut to cut. I might check those pickups out. Curious what most people think about the comparison of these various fluence flavors to the emg81/85. I think my goal is to essentially convincingly replace those but still get all the different tones the fishman provide. i.e. great single coil passive voices, low to mid range tones, and of course what the standard emg's do best which is high gain

You mean just lower the bridge pickup? I've tried that a bit, the high cuts too. Guess I just can't get around the tonal character of the guitar for every context
Just in case anyone is reading and wants to know -- it finally hit me that one of the only things left to try when you have a guitar that seems too bright now matter what... Is to try a different type / brand of strings. Ordered a pack of Daddario NY XL and Daddario XT both which are supposed to be warmer than normal. I went straight for the XT's which I believe are just a coated version of the XL's which are supposed to be even warmer.

It made a dramatic difference, and I'm wondering if the XL's are my goldilocks zone for this guitar. I won't know until I wear out the XT's and try the XL's.

TimmyPage

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to put a set into a Charvel DK24 HH? I've been considering a set of Classics for mine, but I've never used any active pickups before and am not really sure if there's room for the batteries/tech or if there are any issues to watch out for with this guitar.

Also this guitar has a mini switch on it, and I'm on the fence about how to wire it. Maybe the split/voice 3 on the switch and a push/pull for voice 1 and 2.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to put a set into a Charvel DK24 HH? I've been considering a set of Classics for mine, but I've never used any active pickups before and am not really sure if there's room for the batteries/tech or if there are any issues to watch out for with this guitar.

Also this guitar has a mini switch on it, and I'm on the fence about how to wire it. Maybe the split/voice 3 on the switch and a push/pull for voice 1 and 2.
Use both push pull pots. Each pickup gets their own v1/v2 control. Then the mini toggle can be V3 for both.
Also there should be plenty enough room. Looking at the control cavity, seems pretty honkin, and all you need is space for a battery.

2969411519_gtr_back_001_rl.png

juka

Reaction score

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Hey, I have been reading that thread since I'm getting a guitar in which I'm planning on putting my first Fishman set (since it has a battery route anyway). The guitar is a classical mahogany/maple cap with maple neck and I play through a 6505. I really like the amp but sometimes the fizziness gets to me.

I am looking for a very versatile set that is not ice-picky, has some grit, and is/can be rather dynamic. So far I have no experience with active pickups. From what I read and heard, the Devin Townsend set seems like the best pick for me. Anyone to confirm / recommend anything else? Thanks!

cmpxchg

Reaction score
Hey, I have been reading that thread since I'm getting a guitar in which I'm planning on putting my first Fishman set (since it has a battery route anyway). The guitar is a classical mahogany/maple cap with maple neck and I play through a 6505. I really like the amp but sometimes the fizziness gets to me.

I am looking for a very versatile set that is not ice-picky, has some grit, and is/can be rather dynamic. So far I have no experience with active pickups. From what I read and heard, the Devin Townsend set seems like the best pick for me. Anyone to confirm / recommend anything else? Thanks!
I'd go Classic or Javier Reyes, but I have no experience with the Devin set.

Warmart

Reaction score

That's a pretty sizzly amp so I'd agree the Devins are a great place to start. Can always swap out easily, later, if you don't jive with 'em.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I put Tosins in my 7 to replace the Moderns. Big upgrade but I've got Fluence fatigue. Unfortunately the soapbar routing has me locked in.

Best results I've ever had were with an HSH setup with the Open Core Classics and the Fluence single in the middle. Some of the best tones I've ever gotten in any guitar.

juka

Reaction score
@Kensusiunearth @frank falbo or who ever has deeper insights into what Fishman currently is doing:

When (if at all) will the Polyphia sets be officially announced by Fishman or will they remain Ibanez OEM versions?

It has been pretty quiet on the Fluence front for quite too long and although OEM might be the much more profitable side of the business, demand is created elsewhere :yoda:

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if I can get some info on how to properly set up my fishman fluence modern 7 string set in my schecter c7 sls elite. I find them super harsh on my ears even after rolling back the tone and volume knob. I'm thinking about selling my otherwise really nice guitar because of that.

I did a lot of research about the recommended pickup hight and did it by ear aswell but found no success in both. Even lowering them super low almost makes no difference because of the nature of active pickups. There is so much rustle, hiss and swoosh in the pickups it honestly drives me crazy no matter the pickup hight.

I use neural dsp plugins (gojira, john petrucci, fortin cali suite) connected to a focusrite scarlett audio interface connected with headphones or studio monitors. All high quality stuff.

Is it correct to put them at an angle as you see in the pictures to have the same distance to the high and low strings or is it better to have them straight ? Do you have any recommendations for me? Swapping out the pickups is no option for me I rather sell the guitar. Could there be a technical problem?

I did swap the battery multiple times aswell.

What else can I do directly on the guitar? Any help is very appreciated because I'm out of solutions :(

View attachment 117136View attachment 117137View attachment 117138

I know its literally months later... but I've got the same guitar, and I'm perusing the pickup board here because Im getting absolutely sick of the cocked wah honk screech the thing has. The guitar is great... I like the Moderns more than any passive I've played (all my other guitars have various flavors of EMGs), but I really just wish I had an EMG 81-7 in it. All the same complaints you have... into the Neural DSP Gojira as my favorite amp sim for a while. It's not as bad through my 5150 but I still dont.... like it.

I like the dynamics, it feels active. But the cocked wah honk screech is exhausting. I wonder sometimes if its the longer scale length giving it a bit of "twang" in the tone that stacks with everything else.

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Kensusiunearth @frank falbo or who ever has deeper insights into what Fishman currently is doing:

When (if at all) will the Polyphia sets be officially announced by Fishman or will they remain Ibanez OEM versions?

It has been pretty quiet on the Fluence front for quite too long and although OEM might be the much more profitable side of the business, demand is created elsewhere :yoda:
Was wondering myself, kind of have my eye on Henson's set. Some retailers are taking preorders for Henson's Ibanez now, so maybe they just need some time to produce enough pickups.

juka

Reaction score
I know its literally months later... but I've got the same guitar, and I'm perusing the pickup board here because Im getting absolutely sick of the cocked wah honk screech the thing has. The guitar is great... I like the Moderns more than any passive I've played (all my other guitars have various flavors of EMGs), but I really just wish I had an EMG 81-7 in it. All the same complaints you have... into the Neural DSP Gojira as my favorite amp sim for a while. It's not as bad through my 5150 but I still dont.... like it.

I like the dynamics, it feels active. But the cocked wah honk screech is exhausting. I wonder sometimes if its the longer scale length giving it a bit of "twang" in the tone that stacks with everything else.
Have you already explored all the possibilities the Moderns offer like -6db, HF Tilt,...? Does Voice2 give you better results?
As EMG and Fishman both use Quick Connect swapping them out is really easy.

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you already explored all the possibilities the Moderns offer like -6db, HF Tilt,...? Does Voice2 give you better results?
As EMG and Fishman both use Quick Connect swapping them out is really easy.

I only have 6 string EMG's... this C7 is my only 7 at the moment so I cant really pop my extra EMG's in there. But I just ordered a used 81-7 off the 'verb, so I'll see how that sounds in there and I'll hopefuly be able to isolate what is the guitar and what's the pickups after that.

Regarding the other options you mention. The Fluence wiring is so beyond complicated so I didnt dig too far into it until now. The HF tilt sounds intriguing. It sounds like it wont affect the squawky mids a whole lot, but the docs on their site mention a jumper... maybe I can get ahold of one of these "jumpers" and see if I like it.

Regarding the passive mode. I actually like it a lot in terms of sound, ESPECIALLY for leads. But for the heavy riffing stuff I just really like the active mode. I mean the fact that these feel and respond like my EMG's (or at least in a way that feels familiar) is the reason they have stayed in the guitar. It's that upper mid hump in the EQ that drives me nuts. I can even see it being appealing in certain situations, but it just seems excessive in this guitar with the amps/sims I'm using.

I'm also going to switch the neck to the bridge to see if that alnico magnet helps. Should be fun.

Latest posts

')