The Fishman Fluence Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

moshwitz

Stunt Guitarist
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20230129_130922.jpg
    20230129_130922.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 18

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Oh yeah thats to make wiring cleaner lol. It's the same thing as the orange/yellow and blue/green 4-pin connector, but cut in half so you use only two pins.

So you can use that if you JUST want to use the voicing switch, but don't plan on ever using V1 gain or HF tilt option. Basically one less bare wire flopping in your cavities. You should have a white and grey 2 pin harness.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Man, I’d written Fluence moderns off because I’d tried them in a strandberg boden 7 and didn’t like the way they sounded. Turned out it’s the strandberg I just didn’t like the sound of. I just got a LTD M-1000 with modern Fluences in it and man these things slay!! Everything I want in pickups. Clean, clear, quiet, insanely tight, articulate…I love these things!!

bjjman

Reaction score
Man, I’d written Fluence moderns off because I’d tried them in a strandberg boden 7 and didn’t like the way they sounded. Turned out it’s the strandberg I just didn’t like the sound of. I just got a LTD M-1000 with modern Fluences in it and man these things slay!! Everything I want in pickups. Clean, clear, quiet, insanely tight, articulate…I love these things!!
Depending on how old the Strandberg was, it may have had a different version of the Moderns. I wasn't big on the original ones but I have the current version (I believe they are up to V3) in one of my guitars and quite like them.

moshwitz

Stunt Guitarist
Reaction score
Oh yeah thats to make wiring cleaner lol. It's the same thing as the orange/yellow and blue/green 4-pin connector, but cut in half so you use only two pins.

So you can use that if you JUST want to use the voicing switch, but don't plan on ever using V1 gain or HF tilt option. Basically one less bare wire flopping in your cavities. You should have a white and grey 2 pin harness.
Got her done.. I'm good to go now,, thanks ;-)

elkoki

Reaction score
In dark sounding guitars most Fluence’s shine imo . I’ve had moderns in bright swamp ash guitars and it made them sound incredibly thin and brash sounding . Tried them in mahogany guitars and they sounded pretty fucking great .

Hoss632

Reaction score
Only person that's made a Strandberg sound good is Plini. Otherwise every other demo or anything I've heard. they are some of the worst sounding guitars no matter what pick ups or rig they are hooked up to.

Hoss632

Reaction score
In dark sounding guitars most Fluence’s shine imo . I’ve had moderns in bright swamp ash guitars and it made them sound incredibly thin and brash sounding . Tried them in mahogany guitars and they sounded pretty fucking great .
Reminds me a lot of Kiesel Lithium pick ups. They are the exact same way as you describe the Fluences for you.

elkoki

Reaction score
Only person that's made a Strandberg sound good is Plini. Otherwise every other demo or anything I've heard. they are some of the worst sounding guitars no matter what pick ups or rig they are hooked up to.
Totally agree lol I just didn’t want to come out and say it .

Halowords

Reaction score
JR came standard in my 1st Aristides 070R, and unfortunately did not stay there for long, replaced them w/ Tosins which I LOVE, and now I have the Classics just to change things around, love them too.

Now re the JR set, well, IIRC, and u can search for earlier posts where I described them back then when I had them, they sounded too freakin' warm. I liked the neck pickup more, and w/ that Jazzbox voice 2, it sounded great both clean & overdriven. The bridge was good for rhythm playing, but sucked for leads imho, too warm, hard to describe, it's like lack of air to breathe. Tried it on different setups, but decided to let it go in favor of the Tosins, and that was like night and day, they're almost like exact opposites! JRs are subtle, warm, polite sounding, while the Tosins are anything but. And no, I don't feel they sounded like that due to Aristides' Arium, it's neutral sounding given how bright the Tosins & Classics sound in it.
I appreciate the differing perspective. It all ended up for naught on my part (at least for now) as they've already got things set up to throw a set of the Abasis into my guitar, so that's what I will at least start out with and possibly keep in there if I like them. I'll have to see. The Reyes sound more like what I'm used to, but I think the Abasi set will help me stretch a bit and satisfy my curiosity. I also think it will be good to stretch a bit and try something with ceramics rather than my usual passives-with-alnico-magnets.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to giving them a spin and seeing how they gel with my playing style.

p88

Reaction score
t

The Devin set woould make more sense given his pickup history, right?
great point - i hadn't considered that.

but i guess i'm mainly just surprised he's with (or trying out) fishmans, given that he's a seymour artist with his own signature pickup.

hopefully these are something new, and they're prototypes that he's cooking up with fishman...

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm kinda curious how a MIck Thomson sig Fishman would work. His playing and tone isn't... very dynamic. The dude fucking RIPS, but like... he has only 2 modes: Pissed and Pissed but Fast. :lol: So idk how a multi-voiced Mick Thomson pickup would work. Heck even his Duncan pickups were voiced to be the more EMG-like of the bunch, so he pretty much likes that one sound.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Maybe Mick will be the first with two “active” voices? Like a Fluenced EMTY and more Modern/81.

My guess is it will probably not be a sig, but just a tweaked set. If that pic is indicative, he could be basing his on the Dev set. Maybe Mick’s voice will be a brighter one like the EMTY and then a small tweak on one of Dev’s.

I think the bigger question is will Fishman snag Jim Root as well? Mick has been with Duncan a long time, but Jim seems deeper in with EMG.

I also wonder if say, Jeff Loomis goes Fluence, Duncan will just outright abandon active pickups?

p88

Reaction score
in this interview from october 2022, mick talks about using passive pickups in the studio for their latest album - so if he is working with fishman now, i suspect it's probably because he got a taste for passive pickups and wants the best of both worlds (active & passive).

"Joe has a certain openness to trying different things, which I loved. He got me to use a bunch of different passive pickups with great effect on a bunch of spots. So that’s something I’ve reopened my mind to after 20 years. I play passives and stuff at home, but I wouldn’t even consider taking a passive pickup guitar to go play metal in somebody’s basement.

But dialing that back a bit was fun because it forced me to really dig in. I’ve got a heavy right hand anyway, so it’s not much work for me to dig in more to get more out of those strings.”

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I guess I'm blind. I don't see the signature fishman "line" runing down the middle. Just looks like some kind of custom black cover to me.
It's definitely a Fishman. It's got the Fishman logo on the bottom corner. Plus I can just barely make out the line indent

Latest posts

')