The Fishman Fluence Thread

Strobe

Reaction score
so got the fishmans installed on the EMG solderless set and the solderless 3 way switch however im only getting signal on Neck pickup, nothing on middle or bridge?

what have I done wrong?

Step one, verify that you are matching your wiring diagram. Unfortunately it is not just one thing you could have done to produce this result. If yes, it is usually a cold solder joint. Watch a video on soldering technique and reheat / reattach the connections that go to the bridge.

lewis

Reaction score
Step one, verify that you are matching your wiring diagram. Unfortunately it is not just one thing you could have done to produce this result. If yes, it is usually a cold solder joint. Watch a video on soldering technique and reheat / reattach the connections that go to the bridge.
the only place Ive had to solder is a ground wire to ring on the output from under the bridge to ground these Fishmans and again to extend the ground wire that goes from output to 3 way switch

Everything else is plugged in solderlessly using the EMG quick Connect?

Its getting so damn ridiculous now.
Im getting to the stage where Im guna sell these Fishmans, and only ever go single EMG bridge pickup in all my guitars. Screw neck pickups.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
Love the Fishmans, but really starting to despise the active part again. And with Fishman not looking like they'll be releasing any better charging options for them I'm honestly looking at switching back to passives.

Anyone else?

IsaacEsquireIV

Reaction score
Hi all,
quick question
I've been using Fluences for about a year now and I'm absolutely loving them. I had a tech install them for me but he's since moved away.
I have them wired (as per diagram) so the positions on the 3 way switch are Neck-Both-Bridge
I was wondering if anybody could show me how to alter that so the middle position is the 2 inner coils split, rather than both pickups using both coils?
As I said, my tech is gone so I'm gonna try do it myself, if its simple enough
thanks heaps :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 6.54.55 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 6.54.55 pm.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 10

lewis

Reaction score
Love the Fishmans, but really starting to despise the active part again. And with Fishman not looking like they'll be releasing any better charging options for them I'm honestly looking at switching back to passives.

Anyone else?
its funny because Im the opposite.
For some reason that pre gig restring/guitar clean and maintenance thing feels way more real and special for me when it includes changing the battery to the pickups hahaha

dont ask me why. Its completely illogical but just feels a bigger deal and I have more of a "moment" after its all finished and the guitar looks good as new again waiting to be slayed live.

dumb asf but hey/ Our minds are weird haha

cip 123

Reaction score
its funny because Im the opposite.
For some reason that pre gig restring/guitar clean and maintenance thing feels way more real and special for me when it includes changing the battery to the pickups hahaha

dont ask me why. Its completely illogical but just feels a bigger deal and I have more of a "moment" after its all finished and the guitar looks good as new again waiting to be slayed live.

dumb asf but hey/ Our minds are weird haha
9V are expensive I can't be bothered running out before a gig to spend £5 for 1 9V battery that isn't even gonna last as long as an EMG considering how thirsty these pups are. And I for damn sure am not taking a router to my Custom shop just to fit the universal charger in.

When these came out I begged them for the Greg Kock output jack charger but no luck sadly.

lewis

Reaction score
9V are expensive I can't be bothered running out before a gig to spend £5 for 1 9V battery that isn't even gonna last as long as an EMG considering how thirsty these pups are. And I for damn sure am not taking a router to my Custom shop just to fit the universal charger in.

When these came out I begged them for the Greg Kock output jack charger but no luck sadly.
yeah why isnt this available for purchase??!?!

I mean considering how "innovative" Fishman are apparently, and how "stuck in the past" EMG are, its funny that EMG use Quick connect which shits on all this other wiring stuff, and Fishman dont make things like that available? haha

cip 123

Reaction score

I mean considering how "innovative" Fishman are apparently, and how "stuck in the past" EMG are, its funny that EMG use Quick connect which shits on all this other wiring stuff, and Fishman dont make things like that available? haha
Yup, Unless you're Keith Merrow, no way to get it aside from the Koch set.

And yes I don't understand this half solder half quick connect business, Surely it could've just ben done all quick connect?

All this aside, I am still looking at a modern 7 for my Jericho :lol: but it's cheap used and the Jericho has a much bigger control cavity.

Strobe

Reaction score

The output jack charger is just where you plug it in. There is still a battery - it happens to be installed in the tele control plate that also comes with the set. The Les Paul and strat backplates are super hassle free and easy to install. The universal battery requires a small amount of drilling plastic and will not fit every guitar depending on how much space you have available - it is less hassle free.

Regarding the quick connect stuff - it all works with Fishman - it's just that the options on the Fishman pickups include a lot more switching and tone tweaking. If you prefer just one option like the EMG's, you can use jumpers to turn on something like voice 2 and leave it on. It would be hard to make a quick connect setup for how complicated the switching options can get when you have as many options as these have. The downside is that it is necessarily a more complicated wiring scheme - but only if you want the options.

lewis

Reaction score
The output jack charger is just where you plug it in. There is still a battery - it happens to be installed in the tele control plate that also comes with the set. The Les Paul and strat backplates are super hassle free and easy to install. The universal battery requires a small amount of drilling plastic and will not fit every guitar depending on how much space you have available - it is less hassle free.

Regarding the quick connect stuff - it all works with Fishman - it's just that the options on the Fishman pickups include a lot more switching and tone tweaking. If you prefer just one option like the EMG's, you can use jumpers to turn on something like voice 2 and leave it on. It would be hard to make a quick connect setup for how complicated the switching options can get when you have as many options as these have. The downside is that it is necessarily a more complicated wiring scheme - but only if you want the options.
you say that but EMG make a solderless push/pull switch and a solderless DPDT switch, so wouldnt one or both, still cover all options the Fishman pups provide?

because if not, how is that different from a push/pull pot being soldering that changes the voicings?

Strobe

Reaction score
you say that but EMG make a solderless push/pull switch and a solderless DPDT switch, so wouldnt one or both, still cover all options the Fishman pups provide?

because if not, how is that different from a push/pull pot being soldering that changes the voicings?

They do have a solderless push pull. The set, unfortunately, only has one push pull pot in it; it sells for about $59 (for example https://www.ebay.com/p/EMG-1-2-Pick...s-PPP-W-Push-Pull/1600706067?iid=291869592898). The pot itself sells for about $29. That makes it easier if you dislike soldering. Using all of the voice switches on a Fishman modern would be something like 5 push pulls (voice, gain, hf tilt, outer coil, inner coil). If you have 2 holes for pots, pick 2.

The same kind of quick connects on EMGs are the same kind of quick connects are the same kind on the Fishmans. My point was more that it's not that Fishman is backwards just because wiring for options is by necessity more complicated. You can just plug and play if you just want one voice always engaged, like you would for an EMG81 where that is the only option.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
learning to solder should not be a gate to happiness.

It's an incredibly easy skill to pick up
exactly. it's a useful skill that every guitarist should know, since even if the pickups are quick connect, chances are the output jacks or other parts aren't. plus it translates to working on pedals, cables, amps,etc

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I have yet to work on an amp (I'm a wuss), but I've done all the above and soldered stuff onto a broken laptop. Saved several thousands of dollars at this point.

lewis

Reaction score
learning to solder should not be a gate to happiness.

It's an incredibly easy skill to pick up
i have learnt. There was still soldering involved in my solderless EMG install. Soldering the bridge ground to the ring on output jack, and one quick connect cable that goes from output to 3 way switch, wasnt long enough to reach the 3 way, so I had to cut it in the middle and solder in an extension piece of cable that I then used heat shrinking over the top of both joins.

Point is I dont like soldering and want to avoid it going forward. The fact Im learning I have a preference for the feel and tone of EMG pickups is an added bonus given they are the ones that use quick connect.

so dont get me complaining about soldering twisted. Its still a very very dated thing to do in 2019, and given technological advancements in guitar'ing specifically, completely outdated unless you are one of these "tube amp are the best" type snobs when it comes to soldering pickups the old fashioned way.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
To be fair, modelers are also full of soldered connections.

I don’t really think it’s dated, you’ll get the best electrical connection with solder, compared to any kind of clip or plug. Solder (done right) also won’t vibrate loose over time.

For passive pickups I don’t think I would want a solderless system, but for actives like EMG’s which have a low impedence output, there’s no real problems.

Once you get really good at soldering it takes probably the same amount of time as clipping a solderless system together. I thought I was good at soldering from just doing pickup changes, but after making a bunch of pedals and working with tagboard and PCB’s, I’m much better and much cleaner with my work.

Plus, soldered components will always be cheaper.

lewis

Reaction score
To be fair, modelers are also full of soldered connections.

I don’t really think it’s dated, you’ll get the best electrical connection with solder, compared to any kind of clip or plug. Solder (done right) also won’t vibrate loose over time.

For passive pickups I don’t think I would want a solderless system, but for actives like EMG’s which have a low impedence output, there’s no real problems.

Once you get really good at soldering it takes probably the same amount of time as clipping a solderless system together. I thought I was good at soldering from just doing pickup changes, but after making a bunch of pedals and working with tagboard and PCB’s, I’m much better and much cleaner with my work.

Plus, soldered components will always be cheaper.
I should have specified I wasnt talking about mother boards or like internals of computers and such.

I am specifically talking about only guitar.

I do get what you mean though. I can see both sides of it. I just would prefer not too if i can avoid it. Im still going to keep my soldering iron/solder