The Fishman Fluence Thread

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Btw, I wasn't specifically targeting you. Just a lot of people are either scared or otherwise despise soldering. I understand that. I just think it'd a great skill to have.

I can wire up pickups in a couple minutes once they're in the guitar. I also trust solder more than a bunch of harnesses and clips

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
To be fair, modelers are also full of soldered connections.

I don’t really think it’s dated, you’ll get the best electrical connection with solder, compared to any kind of clip or plug. Solder (done right) also won’t vibrate loose over time.

For passive pickups I don’t think I would want a solderless system, but for actives like EMG’s which have a low impedence output, there’s no real problems.

Once you get really good at soldering it takes probably the same amount of time as clipping a solderless system together. I thought I was good at soldering from just doing pickup changes, but after making a bunch of pedals and working with tagboard and PCB’s, I’m much better and much cleaner with my work.

Plus, soldered components will always be cheaper.
screw in connectors like the duncan liberator are the way forward imo. I can change a pickup in like a minute on my overload 8 string because of the screw in connectors, versus it takes me like 30 seconds more if I solder, which adds up to a lot of saved time in my case :lol:

lewis

Reaction score
Btw, I wasn't specifically targeting you. Just a lot of people are either scared or otherwise despise soldering. I understand that. I just think it'd a great skill to have.

I can wire up pickups in a couple minutes once they're in the guitar. I also trust solder more than a bunch of harnesses and clips

Ah thats fair. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
The Modern bridge pickup is really starting to grow off me. Hopefully theres more passive sized brushed stainless 7 pickups soon. Voice 1 is so shrill and too hot. I think was a huge mistake to not have a tone pot. But I had 2 holes for pots and wanted a neck volume. Voice 2 way better but a bit to tubby and too much loss of output. Something in the middle would be great. I'm gonna throw the Alnico in the bridge and hope I'm happy. Otherwise for the first time I'm gonna crank my 100hz knob on my overdrive or run my Sonic Stomp out front.

Strobe

Reaction score
The Modern bridge pickup is really starting to grow off me. Hopefully theres more passive sized brushed stainless 7 pickups soon. Voice 1 is so shrill and too hot. I think was a huge mistake to not have a tone pot. But I had 2 holes for pots and wanted a neck volume. Voice 2 way better but a bit to tubby and too much loss of output. Something in the middle would be great. I'm gonna throw the Alnico in the bridge and hope I'm happy. Otherwise for the first time I'm gonna crank my 100hz knob on my overdrive or run my Sonic Stomp out front.

The shrill part really depends on the guitar; but it approaches that on my mahogany / maple cap 7 that has it. In an alder bodied guitar I have, it does not do that; but I always thought alder was good at tempering some undesirable high frequencies. That said, the too hot on voice 1 thing is absolutely fixable. It probably came with these little black plastic jumpers put that on the V1 gain pins on the back of it. Voice 1 will immediately be 6db lower in output, and it will probably solve part of the problem for you with very little work. You could also technically wire it to a switch.

lewis

Reaction score
The shrill part really depends on the guitar; but it approaches that on my mahogany / maple cap 7 that has it. In an alder bodied guitar I have, it does not do that; but I always thought alder was good at tempering some undesirable high frequencies. That said, the too hot on voice 1 thing is absolutely fixable. It probably came with these little black plastic jumpers put that on the V1 gain pins on the back of it. Voice 1 will immediately be 6db lower in output, and it will probably solve part of the problem for you with very little work. You could also technically wire it to a switch.

Feels abit cocked wah'ish in my Ibanez too. (Basswood/rosewood/maple) in active voice. But suits my bands style and tuning so im not overly fussed.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Alright I'm gonna pull them up and see about doing that. My damn tech kept all the parts gotta get them back.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
For me, I wish the Moderns didn't have the HF tilt. I with they had the -6db gain for both voicings. 2 separate jumpers. I love having voice 1 on full tilt, and I feel like Voice 2 with the db drop would be nice to have something that sounded more like a hot-rodded PAF for more versatility.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I see what you're saying. Something that could drop you right into that low blues gain like the break in Wicked Sensation or the intro to Monkey Business lol. Without being a weak sauce single coil.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I see what you're saying. Something that could drop you right into that low blues gain like the break in Wicked Sensation or the intro to Monkey Business lol. Without being a weak sauce single coil.

Yup exactly. Something similar to voice 1 of the Classics, but more modern-ness. :lol:

I find V1 of the classics and V2 of the Moderns have some similarities. It's just V2 of the moderns have more growl, tightness, and output. Otherwise both are scooped, plenty of low end, and a very bright upper midrange/high end.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I've been dialing my patches in for what module I'm running on the Randall, or what other amps I'm running. But really I need to dial in my patches for my pickups. Separate bank for 7 string stuff vs passive drop C. Pre EQ low boost for voice 1, mid boost for voice 2. Another fine use for the gsp1101.

XMetalcheFX

Chef de Extreme
Reaction score

View attachment 66617

I have a photo from my guitar tech regarding the universal battery install. He sent me a photo of one he was working on. I can send that to you if you'd like to see how much room it takes up.

Screw it. I'll just post it in case anyone is curious. Should have done it sooner seeing as how helpful everyone on this thread has been. I should chip in.

View attachment 66618

The PCB and the blue thing are for the sustaniac that's installed.

View attachment 66619

Hey man thank you very much for the effort in the response! I appreciate it. The tremolo cavity cover will in fact fit so I am crunchwrap supreme (good to go)!

Techdeath

Reaction score
I recently got a strandberg boden with the 2 voicing fluence modern set in it. I love the full sounds they produce and the split clean sounds, but I was wondering what you would recommend I replace the modern neck with in order to get a strattier sounding split coil sound for overdriven lead work, say akin to yngwie malmsteen?

Strobe

Reaction score
I recently got a strandberg boden with the 2 voicing fluence modern set in it. I love the full sounds they produce and the split clean sounds, but I was wondering what you would recommend I replace the modern neck with in order to get a strattier sounding split coil sound for overdriven lead work, say akin to yngwie malmsteen?

So the split voicing or voice 2 on the modern neck did not get you there? In the fluence line, the Tosin set has a single coil voice 3 that is *super* stratty. This may not be a great option for you as it only sells new as a set.

Indigo Shinigami

Said the p-word once
Reaction score
Really, your only option for soapbar fishmans is the TA set. But, if you somehow don't mind the look of an open coil neck pickup with the soapbar bridge, the classic 8 neck (which is essentially the KM neck) would get you there without buying a whole set.

But on the bright side of buying the TA set, you'll have the option of 3 different bridge pickups to choose from (both of your stock pickups can be a neck or bridge pickup, and of course the TA bridge pickup)

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
Hey guys if I like the EMG 57/66 set that is in my schecter hellraiser hybrid, but I wanted something that still has the same character of the EMGs (PAF sounding to a degree) but was just a tad bit gainier, had better cleans and was a bit tighter bass, what would be a good fluence set for me? I Can think of a few that might be possible ones to try out with and see if they come close for me. But I know some of you guys here are smarter in this shit than me so I would appreciate your guys' opinions.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Hey guys if I like the EMG 57/66 set that is in my schecter hellraiser hybrid, but I wanted something that still has the same character of the EMGs (PAF sounding to a degree) but was just a tad bit gainier, had better cleans and was a bit tighter bass, what would be a good fluence set for me? I Can think of a few that might be possible ones to try out with and see if they come close for me. But I know some of you guys here are smarter in this shit than me so I would appreciate your guys' opinions.
prob the classics or the merrows.