The Fishman Fluence Thread

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Probably the wrong forum... but I just installed a Fluence SSS set in my Samick "Valley Arts" Strat and wow. The stock pickups were actually pretty good (not sure since there's no labeling), but the tone from these is just magnificent. Clarity, punch, chime... yet stratty and quacky when I want.

There's a noticable volume boost when you engage the 60s mode instead of 50s, but I don't mind since it just sounds like you're engaging a boost like with the Clapton circuit/boost.

Definitely the best I've personally owned and heard with about 20 minutes of jamming at 3 AM, when I finished installing them lol.

Great info, thanks. I was very curious about these.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Great info, thanks. I was very curious about these.

I'm going to do a quick vid review at some point because these tones must be heard lol. I wish I had recorded the before tones though for comparison.

kisielk

Reaction score
I have a pair of the Tosin Abasis on order, just planning on running them off a 9V for starters, but I'd like to use one of the rechargeable battery packs eventually. Has anyone installed one in an RG, specifically and RG2228? Would the generic one fit in the control compartment or would I need to do some routing?

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
@kisielk Can't help you but plz report back when you have them installed. Wondering what go get for my 2228.

kisielk

Reaction score
Will do. They just shipped today by regular mail so I should have them a week from now or so. Also waiting on a superswitch from StewMac.

pablometal

Reaction score
quick question, can i put a 12v cable from my pc power supply (or 5v usb) to my fishman pickups? i know they sell rechargeable batteries but i still want to know if it's possible to do this

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
quick question, can i put a 12v cable from my pc power supply (or 5v usb) to my fishman pickups? i know they sell rechargeable batteries but i still want to know if it's possible to do this

It needs to be exactly nine volts. But there’s not reason it won’t work. The amperage is controlled by the load.

pablometal

Reaction score
It needs to be exactly nine volts. But there’s not reason it won’t work. The amperage is controlled by the load.
awesome, i was thinking about installing a usb port in my guitar just for the 12v(route a 12v cable instead of 5v), from what i know they work with 9 and 18v so i think it could be possible and also would sound a bit different. I really like my 85 in the bridge with 2 batteries!

Im just a bit scared but i really wanna do it

K-nizm

Reaction score
Have anyone compared KSE or TA with Emg 81TW and 89r in a Schecter Hellraiser c1?is it worth replacing?

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
OK so I need some passive-sized 8-string pickups that sound like the Fluence Modern Ceramic Voice 1 (which I've asked: Fishman has no plans to release a passive-sized version).

What is closest? Neither the Fishman Open Core Classic nor the Merrow seem like they would be very similar.

EMG? I have an EMG 57-8, and it's sorta in the same ball park. But not as tight or angry sounding. Is it going to be the EMG 81-8? 81-8X?

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
OK so I need some passive-sized 8-string pickups that sound like the Fluence Modern Ceramic Voice 1 (which I've asked: Fishman has no plans to release a passive-sized version).

What is closest? Neither the Fishman Open Core Classic nor the Merrow seem like they would be very similar.

EMG? I have an EMG 57-8, and it's sorta in the same ball park. But not as tight or angry sounding. Is it going to be the EMG 81-8? 81-8X?
One of the 81 options sounds like your best bet. You are also right that the Open Core Classic and Merrow sets are not close at all.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Installed classics in my berg. Took my some getting used too. They are bright af. The neck pickup sounds like another bridge.

Jason B

Unbanned
Reaction score
Installed classics in my berg. Took my some getting used too. They are bright af. The neck pickup sounds like another bridge.

Using HF tilt? Then again, every ‘Berg I’ve played has required compensating pickups to get the tone back into my comfort zone.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Using HF tilt? Then again, every ‘Berg I’ve played has required compensating pickups to get the tone back into my comfort zone.

Ya I might try to perma ground the tilt. Still testing it out. It’s interesting having one guitar with a super bright neck.

Abasi don’t have the same issue. But the pups are slanted a bit more as well.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
I'm about to order an Aristides 070R, and I'm not which set is for me bbetween t moderns and the classics. I don't want too high of an output, but I'm wondering if the classics aren't tight enough for what I want compared to the moderns. If I want tightness and clarity but also lovely split tones which should I go for? I'm also not sure if the moderns with the -6db option might not be exactly what I'm looking for.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I'm about to order an Aristides 070R, and I'm not which set is for me bbetween t moderns and the classics. I don't want too high of an output, but I'm wondering if the classics aren't tight enough for what I want compared to the moderns. If I want tightness and clarity but also lovely split tones which should I go for? I'm also not sure if the moderns with the -6db option might not be exactly what I'm looking for.

If you want it all. I’d recommend the abasi’s for a seven string.

Not gonna get to try moderns for a little bit but the splits on the covered classics are just alright. Really just sound like lower output version of the pickups.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Yeah, the abasi set is really intriguing. I know the split-coil tones are meant to be amazing, but I'd be worried they'd be a bit too thick and high output for what I want. I want punchiness and clarity, but nothing that's too compressed or high output. I've seen them compared to the tone zone in this thread, and I didn't get on with that pickup - having said that I know it didn't have the clarity the Fishman's are famous for.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
Yeah, the abasi set is really intriguing. I know the split-coil tones are meant to be amazing, but I'd be worried they'd be a bit too thick and high output for what I want. I want punchiness and clarity, but nothing that's too compressed or high output. I've seen them compared to the tone zone in this thread, and I didn't get on with that pickup - having said that I know it didn't have the clarity the Fishman's are famous for.
I have the Tosins in my NT7, wired with no tone knob, two volumes, bridge pot: pull for splits; split is default voice 2(Passive) neck pot, voice 1/2. due the control(3 way toggle,instead of a blade switch) layout on my ESP, I can't do the Tosin's wiring. But tone wise, they feel and sounds like passives, even i voice 1, which is surprising to me. Comparing it to the EMG 817X in my Schecter, the Tosin's kinda like an SD Distortion and D'Activator. While the EMG sounds like EMGs. Worth noting that that the ESP is a neck thru, while the Schecter is a Bolt-On.

Latest posts

')