The Fishman Fluence Thread

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Feel & Dynamics. You need try these in real time to see/hear it for yourself, I'm just mincing words, for the lack of better term.
You're talking about the Tosin set specifically? I've tried some moderns (at least) and they were lacking in dynamics.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
But tone wise, they feel and sounds like passives, even i voice 1, which is surprising to me. Comparing it to the EMG 817X in my Schecter, the Tosin's kinda like an SD Distortion and D'Activator.

You're partly comparing them to a passive pickup that's voiced to sound like an active pickup. My stance is that they do not sound like passives. They have more dynamics than the EMG 81/85 set I tried and also the EMG 57/66 set too, in my opinion, but still not on the same level as passives.

But tone wise, they feel and sounds like passives, even i voice 1, which is surprising to me.

I have a hard time believing this if you by feel mean dynamics.

Feel & Dynamics. You need try these in real time to see/hear it for yourself, I'm just mincing words, for the lack of better term.

You're talking about the Tosin set specifically? I've tried some moderns (at least) and they were lacking in dynamics.

I've tried the Modern set (still have 3 sets of them actually), I have two of the Keith Merrow sets, and I've tried and returned the Tosin Abasi set. The Modern set and Tosin set were fairly similar and both lacked the dynamics of passive pickups (I have over 30 different passive sets currently) and the tone was quite different as well (mostly in the treble / high mids region). The closest to passive between the Tosin Abasi and Modern sets was Voice 2 of the Modern set. The Keith Merrow set though is VERY VERY close to a passive sound in both Voice 1 and 2. I notice almost no difference in tone between my go-to passive sets and the Keith Merrow set and the difference in dynamics is the smallest difference I have ever experienced between active and passive pickups.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I've tried the Modern set (still have 3 sets of them actually), I have two of the Keith Merrow sets, and I've tried and returned the Tosin Abasi set. The Modern set and Tosin set were fairly similar and both lacked the dynamics of passive pickups (I have over 30 different passive sets currently) and the tone was quite different as well (mostly in the treble / high mids region). The closest to passive between the Tosin Abasi and Modern sets was Voice 2 of the Modern set. The Keith Merrow set though is VERY VERY close to a passive sound in both Voice 1 and 2. I notice almost no difference in tone between my go-to passive sets and the Keith Merrow set and the difference in dynamics is the smallest difference I have ever experienced between active and passive pickups.

Do the Merrow's have the bite of the Moderns? I know they are voiced low-mid-ish but I would like to know if they can be a crisp on the treble and high mids since I like my tones fairly brighter. im looking to get a fluence that is voiced a bit like passives but still can get crisp if need be. I have Tosins, Moderns, and had a Classic set (that was too bright).

Moderns on V2 just have too much bass for me.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Do the Merrow's have the bite of the Moderns? I know they are voiced low-mid-ish but I would like to know if they can be a crisp on the treble and high mids since I like my tones fairly brighter. im looking to get a fluence that is voiced a bit like passives but still can get crisp if need be. I have Tosins, Moderns, and had a Classic set (that was too bright).

I feel the Classics (which the Merrows are based on) are crazy bright. MUCH brighter than the moderns.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I feel the Classics (which the Merrows are based on) are crazy bright. MUCH brighter than the moderns.

I made the mistake of installing it in my SG. Played both voices, I thought the guitar was just naturally bright. Then I put em in my mahogany Soloist which sounds huge and round and benefited from the tightness and EQ of the moderns.

But holy hell. Upon playing it, V1 was grating and it could sound thin. V2 I can get used to but I needed to adjust all the live settings in my AX8 drastically.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

They sound different even in similar guitars. They sound better to me in my KM-7 MK-3 than they did in my KM-7 MK-2. I tend to prefer pickup sets that are more higher-focused so I can play more intricate technical things without a lack of clarity. The Keith Merrow set does it well without being grating/fatiguing like the Moderns and Tosins were for me.

Brighter overall but not as fatiguingly fizzy imo. I think the Classic bridge may be brighter than the KM bridge???
The Classic neck is the same pickup as the KM neck. Keith tweaked the Classic bridge but left the neck model alone. FYI to everyone who didn't know.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Do Fishmans like certain types of guitars more than others, bright vs dark etc? I'm looking at a 2nd hand Classic set I'm tempted to buy but none of my guitars "need" a pickup swap. Wondering if I'd end up buying yet another guitar just to fit the pickups in.

Jason B

Unbanned
Reaction score
Alternatively, spend that money making a new memory with someone you love.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Do Fishmans like certain types of guitars more than others, bright vs dark etc? I'm looking at a 2nd hand Classic set I'm tempted to buy but none of my guitars "need" a pickup swap. Wondering if I'd end up buying yet another guitar just to fit the pickups in.
most of the fishmans are better suited to darker sounding guitars from what I've been told/experienced. Moderns can be pretty bright at times and the classics/merrows are supposedly even brighter.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
most of the fishmans are better suited to darker sounding guitars from what I've been told/experienced. Moderns can be pretty bright at times and the classics/merrows are supposedly even brighter.
Moderns were too bright for swamp ash imo
Love my Merrows in swamp ash though
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I’m loving the classics in my Strandberg currently. They are bright af. But they aren’t ice picky at all. Amp needs a bit if eq change. But I can finally bring my bass up from zero.

Waiting on a pair of moderns now

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It was brought up in another thread, but it looks like Richard Kruspe or Rammstein may have a signature set in the future, after using EMGs for like.... 20 years. He talked in interviews about using Fishmans and having a custom set made.

9e08665a-e2b3-4b31-8102-a6616c502d78-jpeg.69822

juka

Reaction score
Great to hear that Fishman R&D is still alive and working on extending the Fluence line in the background. The complete absence of news at last NAMM really made me wonder.

As much as I love Rammstein I'm not sure what they could add to the Fluence line?

Ok, red pup covers obviously,

but keep in mind Satchel's green bobbins remained OEM, too.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Great to hear that Fishman R&D is still alive and working on extending the Fluence line in the background. The complete absence of news at last NAMM really made me wonder.

As much as I love Rammstein I'm not sure what they could add to the Fluence line?

Ok, red pup covers obviously,

but keep in mind Satchel's green bobbins remained OEM, too.

I was thinking Rich might actually get a sig set because he talked about getting a custom voiced set. He might have been exaggerating, but we'll see.

man I just wish they'd make the Adler set in something other than that distressed gold.

One thing I fear if Rich gets a sig set. They'll only be available in red. :lol:

And yeah I agree. The Adler set looks intriguing, but... why just gold? Why not a flat black version? Do like the other sig sets do and have a colored stripe on it.

Latest posts

')