The Fishman Fluence Thread

WhiteLightOfDeath

Hidden Sword
Reaction score
Yes

YOURE THE MAN dude- well ya made me go and do it didnt ya! I bought the stephen carpenter set! so THERe

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteLightOfDeath

Hidden Sword
Reaction score
Either Drop D *on a 6 string* or I guess it would be Drop C? Or B standard....I dont go too low
That’s why i have the trusty 2228

CAn someone correct me, on a 7 string its drop C right?

And also, am I wrong in understanding the carpenter set is a mix of a modern and a tweaked modern basically, and what is this deal about voice 2? It sounds like voice 1 lol o lol i just hope its awesome as it sounds on paper and on my speakers (cant hot swap EMG which is why i said forget the8 set for the SC because i dont want to do any thing to my 2228, BUT i do need new pickups in my 7 strin)

And are there any techs on here that will install the pickups for me? Like does anyone have reasonable rates here in NYC/NJ area? Please let me know, because I need to route the guitar apparently

Last edited:

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
Either Drop D *on a 6 string* or I guess it would be Drop C? Or B standard....I dont go too low
That’s why i have the trusty 2228

CAn someone correct me, on a 7 string its drop C right?

And also, am I wrong in understanding the carpenter set is a mix of a modern and a tweaked modern basically, and what is this deal about voice 2? It sounds like voice 1 lol o lol i just hope its awesome as it sounds on paper and on my speakers (cant hot swap EMG which is why i said forget the8 set for the SC because i dont want to do any thing to my 2228, BUT i do need new pickups in my 7 strin)
B standard on 7 strings or Drop A if you're emulating drop D.I tune to Drop G,but I think they'll sound even better in a higher tuning.

WhiteLightOfDeath

Hidden Sword
Reaction score
Ok then stick with B standard then
I can’t wait to try them
I know it’ll be a few months at least to get them installed unless someone on here can do it for some money ? Or I’ll let you keep the pickups(Evo 7 neck and hum) and I’ll buy you lunch!!! Anyone in NYC????

WhiteLightOfDeath

Hidden Sword
Reaction score
Changed my mind
Keeping it all Fishman.

I asked them about the tonal options and Carpenter has 3: tilt, split single, voicings

So I bought a third push pull pot

It’s gonna be cool

Now I don’t really understand the technology but they sound great on the recording

I hope it’s as great as it sounds

Reaction score
So I need some input. I have an RG 7321 (7 string, basswood, bolt-on maple/walnut neck with a rosewood finger board) that needs new pickups. I'm very interested in Fishmans due to them having multiple voices and I want versatility. I'm wanting something that play metal but also get good clean sounds. I tend to gravitate towards old At the Gates, old In Flames, August Burns Red, Kill Switch Engage, Intervals, and Dream Theater tone-wise.

If the KSE pickups were available in 7 string, those would probably be the one's to get but they're not. The Moderns seem the next logical choice, but do they really clean up all that well? Clips I've heard aren't so impressive on that end. Plus I'm not that interested in two different distorted tones.

So what sayest ye merry gentlemen? Merrows, Abasis, Classics, or just get the Moderns? Or wait and see if any 7 string versions show up?

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
So I need some input. I have an RG 7321 (7 string, basswood, bolt-on maple/walnut neck with a rosewood finger board) that needs new pickups. I'm very interested in Fishmans due to them having multiple voices and I want versatility. I'm wanting something that play metal but also get good clean sounds. I tend to gravitate towards old At the Gates, old In Flames, August Burns Red, Kill Switch Engage, Intervals, and Dream Theater tone-wise.

If the KSE pickups were available in 7 string, those would probably be the one's to get but they're not. The Moderns seem the next logical choice, but do they really clean up all that well? Clips I've heard aren't so impressive on that end. Plus I'm not that interested in two different distorted tones.

So what sayest ye merry gentlemen? Merrows, Abasis, Classics, or just get the Moderns? Or wait and see if any 7 string versions show up?

The moderns do clean up nicely especially on Voice 2 of either bridge and neck pups. Even on Voice 1 you can get workable cleans. If you are after darker tones, The Merrows and the Carpenter are your choices. For brighter tones, Classics and Moderns. Classics being the brighter set of the two. The Abasi is also on the bright side like the moderns but it has more lows and low mids to balance it out.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
So do these actually get a convincing single coil sound? If I load a set of these into my flying v and use the single coil setting, could I get a passable Hendrix/Gilmour style tones?

Acme

Reaction score
So do these actually get a convincing single coil sound? If I load a set of these into my flying v and use the single coil setting, could I get a passable Hendrix/Gilmour style tones?

They will sound a tiny bit lifeless compared to a passive single coil, that typical twang will not be there, but this is less noticeable in mid to high gain scenarios.

WhiteLightOfDeath

Hidden Sword
Reaction score
Apparently thats what they say....and thast why i had to ask for a “custom” diagram for the 3 options for high filter tilt, split coil and of course the famous voicing,..otherwise with carpenter diagram they only gave me 2 out of 3 options...their reasoning? They didnt want to include a third $2 pull push pot,, so i had to buy it from them for $20.....at least i have THREE fishman fluence features instead of just the 2

Turns out i was right, carpenter 7 string set IS the right one that i wanted

Acme

Reaction score
Apparently thats what they say....and thast why i had to ask for a “custom” diagram for the 3 options for high filter tilt, split coil and of course the famous voicing,..otherwise with carpenter diagram they only gave me 2 out of 3 options...their reasoning? They didnt want to include a third $2 pull push pot,, so i had to buy it from them for $20.....at least i have THREE fishman fluence features instead of just the 2

Turns out i was right, carpenter 7 string set IS the right one that i wanted

I think you're moving way too fast. Is there a guitar shop nearby where you could try some of the Fishmans before pulling the trigger on any of them?

WhiteLightOfDeath

Hidden Sword
Reaction score
I am moving too fast. You’re right. I don’t have any fishman’s that I can play at my local shops (guitar centers here dont usually have guitars like that). But its all good. I made a mistake and I spoke to Mike at Fishman

So: The reason I contacted them was I wanted the full tonal palette. After researching and watching vids on YouTube, i found out, Carpenter has THREE , not two, tonal options on the palette.

Pot 1: The voicing, 1 and 2 and however that goes
Pot 2: the split/single coil option, either outer two, inner two, or double hum split
Pot 3: the HF tilt Which is the one I’m after most of all

However, i wanted all 3....now i thought the EMG RPC would be a good addition, but that would be overkill because that would be a double boost with the HF Tilt

So I’m good: the question is whether to pay to install them or not?? I am not really comfy doing this type of work, but I also think the video on you tube is easy to follow....my problem is theres no wiring diagram for the 3 options because I’ve only seen one other person do what I’m trying to do with these pickups

Otherwise, there will soon be a Stephen Carpenter 7 string set up for sale lol

[It was between the Fishman SC set i bought or Lace DB7/Hum 7, and because i got a SICK deal on the Fishman set, i took it, but i definitely want them....its about the install at this point, i gotta throw it in my RG 7620)

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Neither the Moderns nor Keith Merrow set do a convincing single coil tone imo
They actually sound a bit too thin and bright imo. I get much better results from just coil splitting the right passive humbucker set.

I did not wire the Tosin set up to demo the single coil tone before I returned them

I am moving too fast. You’re right. I don’t have any fishman’s that I can play at my local shops (guitar centers here dont usually have guitars like that). But its all good. I made a mistake and I spoke to Mike at Fishman

So: The reason I contacted them was I wanted the full tonal palette. After researching and watching vids on YouTube, i found out, Carpenter has THREE , not two, tonal options on the palette.

Pot 2: the split/single coil option, either outer two, inner two, or double hum split

However, i wanted all 3....now i thought the EMG RPC would be a good addition, but that would be overkill because that would be a double boost with the HF Tilt

So I’m good: the question is whether to pay to install them or not?? I am not really comfy doing this type of work, but I also think the video on you tube is easy to follow....my problem is theres no wiring diagram for the 3 options because I’ve only seen one other person do what I’m trying to do with these pickups

[It was between the Fishman SC set i bought or Lace DB7/Hum 7, and because i got a SICK deal on the Fishman set, i took it, but i definitely want them....its about the install at this point, i gotta throw it in my RG 7620)

What you're doing is complex but definitely doable as far as I know. Just combine diagrams to get what you want.

Pot 1 is a normal diagram part
Pot 2 is also a normal diagram part
Pot 3 is just a wire from the HF tilt solder pad

Should be pretty easy.

The difficult part is the fact that you only have two knobs on that guitar by default. I don't think you should be using pots for all of these. It would be done easiest by swapping the blade switch to a 5-way switch if it isn't one already.

n - ns - nsbs | nb - bs - b

n being neck
ns being neck split
nsbs being both split
nb being both (not split)
bs being bridge split
b being bridge

Then have a pot for the voicing and a pot for the HF tilt

WhiteLightOfDeath

Hidden Sword
Reaction score

Is that possible? To forgo the third push pull?
I ordered it and Mike from Fishman said i would need to drill a small hole for the third knob

THanks for such detail, really. I appreciate when people take time to read and respond apropo.

PS it IS a five way switch, but the coil tapping is active, so it must be on or off

Reaction score
The moderns do clean up nicely especially on Voice 2 of either bridge and neck pups. Even on Voice 1 you can get workable cleans. If you are after darker tones, The Merrows and the Carpenter are your choices. For brighter tones, Classics and Moderns. Classics being the brighter set of the two. The Abasi is also on the bright side like the moderns but it has more lows and low mids to balance it out.
Darker isn't really what I'm going for per se, so that's helpful. For the Moderns, is it a kind of clean that you need to add a little chorus and reverb to make it more convincing as a clean tone?

')