The Fishman Fluence Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
or just white people with dreadlocks...
I mean I can give a pass if you do it when you're younger like say under mid 20s, but come on, by your 30s you should know that's going to look fucking dumb.
Hey man, Randy Blythes grinch-fingers get a pass alright lol
no one gets a pass if they're past their 20s lol

lewis

Reaction score
hmm chappers. that's who we should trust.

Exactly, never trust white peope who had dreadlocks in their 30s.

or just white people with dreadlocks...

Funny. I dont see you guys with a hugely successful guitar brand, being pretty well known youtube celebrity with a good partnership with a huge music store, and being in a decent rock band.

To just disregard his opinion because it contradicts your hype for a brand comes across way worse than the look of someone with dreadlocks (that he doesnt have anymore and hasnt for years - and who cares what his hair style is ffs?)

I said i found it interesting. I also said fishmans are great but really no better than any great 3rd party pickup brand to my ears and a respectable professional agrees based purely on ears (the most important thing)

I swear some of the shit on this forum. Why make it personal about the dudes looks?

mpexus

Reaction score
Why make it personal about the dudes looks?

Probably made by people fully Tattoed with the most awfull and obnoxious crap like Bands Names or Guitar Brands or the word Family... People are just like that.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Funny. I dont see you guys with a hugely successful guitar brand, being pretty well known youtube celebrity with a good partnership with a huge music store, and being in a decent rock band.

To just disregard his opinion because it contradicts your hype for a brand comes across way worse than the look of someone with dreadlocks (that he doesnt have anymore and hasnt for years - and who cares what his hair style is ffs?)

I said i found it interesting. I also said fishmans are great but really no better than any great 3rd party pickup brand to my ears and a respectable professional agrees based purely on ears (the most important thing)

I swear some of the shit on this forum. Why make it personal about the dudes looks?
perhaps you've heard of the logical fallacy known as appeal to authority? because that's exactly what you're doing by trying to act like chapper's opinion is more valuable than ours simply because he's in the music biz. Why the fuck would I trust someone who's primary job is to sell gear over people like USMarine that actually dropped money on the pickups? Plus as diagrammatiks mentioned, Greg Koch gets great tones out of the pickups, so it's not the pickups, it's the end user, like any gear.
Tone is subjective.
Most people on sso know that I love passives and detest actives but even I have said the fishmans deserved the hype. They do something very different from any other active on the market.

Last edited:

dhgrind

Reaction score

Someone’s salty.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

Actually given your post history. It’s more an issue of if you believe it. It’s probably wrong. Chappers is just icing on the cake.

lewis

Reaction score
Way to sidestep the fact you guys mocked a dudes appearance because he thought fishmans sounded cheap

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
So, the Townsend set is a no-go? I'm getting my PRS employee guitar pretty soon and was looking forward to doing a swap, but if they're crap then I'm not going to invest in 'em.

Strobe

Reaction score
new Andertons video where Chappers using a blindfold tries to work out where an assortment of guitars are made just by their feel.

got to the Koch signature with his Fishmans and he thought it sounded and played terrible - claiming the pickups sounded "Cheap"

pretty much what Ive been maintaining. If you take away their hype and go purely on ears, the Fishmans are overrated. (they are great but no better than hundreds of other options)

thought it was interesting

The Koch set is way different than the rest of the lineup. I own the Koch set - along with moderns, classics, Abasi, strat. They sound good to my ears, but the least good of all the models. I think the whole line is superb - although it doesn't capture as wide of a range of tones as you can get from other manufacturers, so there is a good chance your absolute favorite is going to be something else.

Strobe

Reaction score
So, the Townsend set is a no-go? I'm getting my PRS employee guitar pretty soon and was looking forward to doing a swap, but if they're crap then I'm not going to invest in 'em.

It's good, it's just darker than the moderns. If you prefer a smoother high end, they are sublime. If you like a lot of hair in your high end, it's a bad choice. My bandmate plays them - they sound great. I just like a lot of highs. More than these offer.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
It's good, it's just darker than the moderns. If you prefer a smoother high end, they are sublime. If you like a lot of hair in your high end, it's a bad choice. My bandmate plays them - they sound great. I just like a lot of highs. More than these offer.
They need to make all of the 6-string exclusive sets NOT 6-string exclusive. I only play 7s anymore really. The KSE set is especially one that needs to be ported over.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

These sets are all derived some a core set of sounds..but they sound different enough that you'll probably have to try a few to see if you like them.

I don't really like the moderns at all. But I love the abasi and the classics.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Ok. I think I have tried most of the Ceramic (on bridge) 6 string sets. And I think, while they are based from the modern, they have big differences. Listing them from least liked to most liked.

Kiilswitch Engage set- It's just too tight on V1. There's barely any bass in there and you get a big midrange hump like an EMG 85. But unlike the 85, this one has highs and some bite. V2 is huge sounding but it's too fat. I don't like it for distorted sounds, it's much better for clean. Single coil sound is one of the best ones like the Tosin.

Devin Townsend set- This one just lasted a month in my guitar. I really like the sag V1 has in the lows. But the highs are really rolled of. This would be great for really bright guitars, but it just didnt jive with my mahogany guitar. The single coil sound is a bit duller too. But again, this could work depending on your guitar.

Adlers- If these came in black, I would be all over them. Con is that you have two high gain voices that are not that much different from each other. V1 has a lot of low mid bark with a looser low end. V2 is just like V1's EQ but more compressed.

Moderns- The basic one. V1 is you like it or you dont. It's tight for sure, but it has a lot of mids and crunch in the treble. bass is tight but doesnt have the sub lows that an emg 81 would have. And I think that's why some people are disappointed by it. They read it sounds just like an 81 then they look for that bass that isn't there. The Moderns barely clip too so you dont get that "clak clak clak" in the lows when you are chugging on an EMG. I love it since it works for my kind of death metal. Those mids just push the amp and they have a lot of cut and bass doesn't get flabby no matter what tuning you use. Only gripe is I dont like that HUGE bass on V2.

Tosin Abasi set- Now this is my favorite. It has a more relaxed or flatter midrange compared to the moderns but retains the highs and cut. What I like about it is that it has bass and low mids that the Moderns lack. It's still tight but it has more give and room to breathe. I may even think it is a bit brighter than the moderns since it has some sizzle around the 1K range and I have to tame down my treble a notch when using the Abasi. V2 is lower in gain but the eq is sweet and balanced and it doesnt have the overbearing bass the V2s in the modern and killswitch has. It's totaaly useable since it sounds like a comparable dimarzio or bareknuckle that Tosin would use. It's awesome clean and overdriven with just the right eq. And the crowning jewel is the single coil tones that other's have already mentioned. Installing the abasi set is just multiplying your guitar's versatility ten fold.

Now, I want to try the Carpenter 6 string set since the demos sound different than the 7 and 8 string demos.

Endnote

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Modern Ceramic in the neck? Would like to know how it compares to the modern alnico. I'm looking at doing it for one of my guitars.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Modern Ceramic in the neck? Would like to know how it compares to the modern alnico. I'm looking at doing it for one of my guitars.
I didn't notice that much of a difference really but the slight difference was one I liked. It cut better and wasn't overly warm like the alnico was. The big difference was having the alnico in the bridge. I MUCH preferred the alnico in the bridge than the ceramic. It was way less harsh sounding.

')