The Fishman Fluence Thread

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I just did the same in my main player and the change totally suits my tastes, still got Moderns in my stage back-up though.
What are you not liking with the classics? Voice 2 sounds like a JB.
Voice 1 seems honkier, more like what I remember the JB being like tbh. I quite like V2 since it's chunkier sounding and doesn't seem to have the honk. It's perfect for nailing that 90s Carcass tone or Nile's BSOV tones imo
TLDR: V2 on the moderns and classics are where it's at.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Voice 1 seems honkier, more like what I remember the JB being like tbh. I quite like V2 since it's chunkier sounding and doesn't seem to have the honk. It's perfect for nailing that 90s Carcass tone or Nile's BSOV tones imo
TLDR: V2 on the moderns and classics are where it's at.

Nice. I might just get a classic bridge and just use V2 for my Jackson COW6. If you like V2 on the classic and moderns, you will definitely love the v2 on the Tosins. They just have that perfect balance in eq!

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Nice. I might just get a classic bridge and just use V2 for my Jackson COW6. If you like V2 on the classic and moderns, you will definitely love the v2 on the Tosins. They just have that perfect balance in eq!
yeah tosins are definitely on the list after I test the devy set. maybe I'll try the adler set as well.

ManWithDaPlan

Reaction score
Been a while since I been here, but I just recently ordered the pair of fluence Tosin signature 8 pickups. Gonna be replacing the stock pickups in an Agile 8 string. I have never had active pickups cause most of the stuff I play is clean and my limited experience with EMGs had led me to believe that active cleans sound like dogshit, but people have sworn by these and ive heard good clips so here I am.

Anyways, I have a three way selector. from what ive been led to believe from the install guide, with a 3 way it will be passive mode by default selecting the same way. pos1 = bridge humbucker, pos2=bridge+neck and pos3= neck. if I pull the knob for voice 1, those all become active instead of passive, and the knob for voice 3 is same thing but coil tapped. Are the pickups in voice 2(the default one) truly passive? thought it was one way or the other. and if so, does being in voice 2 drain the battery? If my battery is drained, does voice 2 still work?

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Been a while since I been here, but I just recently ordered the pair of fluence Tosin signature 8 pickups. Gonna be replacing the stock pickups in an Agile 8 string. I have never had active pickups cause most of the stuff I play is clean and my limited experience with EMGs had led me to believe that active cleans sound like dogshit, but people have sworn by these and ive heard good clips so here I am.

Anyways, I have a three way selector. from what ive been led to believe from the install guide, with a 3 way it will be passive mode by default selecting the same way. pos1 = bridge humbucker, pos2=bridge+neck and pos3= neck. if I pull the knob for voice 1, those all become active instead of passive, and the knob for voice 3 is same thing but coil tapped. Are the pickups in voice 2(the default one) truly passive? thought it was one way or the other. and if so, does being in voice 2 drain the battery? If my battery is drained, does voice 2 still work?

No. They are still active but they will have passive-like voicing and feel. So if you are in passive v2 mode, it will still use up battery juice. If your battery is drained v1 and v2 will BOTH sound very anemic and weak.

BearOnGuitar

Reaction score
I received the Powerex rechargable 9.6v battery. It's the same size the regular Duracell 9v, it comes precharged and works just perfectly. No issues on my side, and since the actual voltage with a full charge can go as high as 11v these might sound slightly better. Hard to say with new strings but it sounds good. I like it and I don't need to worry about installing the Fluence charger kit anymore.

juka

Reaction score
Tried different 9v lipo rechargeables so far having quite mixed results with my KM7 set:

• ZNTER 400mh work really well in my guitar, but you can read about massive noise problems due to the built-in "voltage doubling circuitry" (providing 9._v)
  • Okcell 650mh: they provide "only" 8.4v (which is quite normal for 9v lipo rechargeables), but are noisy as hell! Can't use them in my guitar
YMMV

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Tried different 9v lipo rechargeables so far having quite mixed results with my KM7 set:

• ZNTER 400mh work really well in my guitar, but you can read about massive noise problems due to the built-in "voltage doubling circuitry" (providing 9._v)
  • Okcell 650mh: they provide "only" 8.4v (which is quite normal for 9v lipo rechargeables), but are noisy as hell! Can't use them in my guitar
YMMV

Weird. Are you sure your wiring is ok? I use the okcells in all my guitars.
The voltage doubler is exactly what the Fishman powerpack uses as well. Very few noise complaints.

lewis

Reaction score
I received the Powerex rechargable 9.6v battery. It's the same size the regular Duracell 9v, it comes precharged and works just perfectly. No issues on my side, and since the actual voltage with a full charge can go as high as 11v these might sound slightly better. Hard to say with new strings but it sounds good. I like it and I don't need to worry about installing the Fluence charger kit anymore.

These sound great. However from what ive seen in the UK, this and the steath charfer are really expensive? (Charger seemed like it was £60 alone)

BearOnGuitar

Reaction score
These sound great. However from what ive seen in the UK, this and the steath charfer are really expensive? (Charger seemed like it was £60 alone)

Yeah, they might be expensive but I don't care as long as they are working correctly and I don't have to deal with any issues.

juka

Reaction score
Weird. Are you sure your wiring is ok? I use the okcells in all my guitars.
The voltage doubler is exactly what the Fishman powerpack uses as well. Very few noise complaints.

Yes, pretty sure about the wiring, because all the other batteries I've used so far with this guitar worked fine:
"normal" batteries (mostly alkaline and one or two lithiums) and 2 ZNTER lipos work fine, only my two Okcells make a hell of a noise!? Maybe just a bad batch? I don't know, but reading the comments on Amazon for example might lead to the conclusion that most of these lipos offered either on eBay or Amazon are extremely inconsistent.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the Fluences but I'm just gonna drop off a question here so I don't have to make a thread.

Has anyone used them without the voice switching? Like a Modern bridge permanently wired to voice 1 and a Classic neck wired to voice 2? There's so many different ways to wire the Fluences and I don't see anyone who never use the switches, so I want to know if anyone uses them with simple 3/5-way pickup selector setup.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the Fluences but I'm just gonna drop off a question here so I don't have to make a thread.

Has anyone used them without the voice switching? Like a Modern bridge permanently wired to voice 1 and a Classic neck wired to voice 2? There's so many different ways to wire the Fluences and I don't see anyone who never use the switches, so I want to know if anyone uses them with simple 3/5-way pickup selector setup.

But y

juka

Reaction score

Fluence includes not only pots, cables,... to their pup sets but also 2 jumpers so that you can permanently set voices (or other options)...

...but why take away all the fun???

Meanwhile they have published a lot of wiring options, find the one that suits you best and let your creativity run free!

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
Fluence includes not only pots, cables,... to their pup sets but also 2 jumpers so that you can permanently set voices (or other options)...

...but why take away all the fun???

Meanwhile they have published a lot of wiring options, find the one that suits you best and let your creativity run free!
I wasn't aware that they come with their own push-pull pots, I was always under the assumption that they came separately. Although it does seem to take more time with more parts and wires being installed, especially replacing the regular 25k pots that most active pickups use since the Fluences use push-pull pots to switch voices.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that they come with their own push-pull pots, I was always under the assumption that they came separately. Although it does seem to take more time with more parts and wires being installed, especially replacing the regular 25k pots that most active pickups use since the Fluences use push-pull pots to switch voices.

Yeah, replacing Fluences take longer for me than most other guitars. Gotta not only remove the old electronics and replace the new ones, but also either gotta wire in push-pulls and/or mini toggles.

And yes, they do come with everything you need. 2 Push/pulls, 2 standard pots, mini jumpers (to activate either the voicing switch, high cut, or coil tap permanently), quick-connect wires, battery clip, etc. They spoil you just like EMG does.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Wiring takes like 15 minutes.
yeah if you're following a standard wiring diagram for just voice1/voice 2 options. Once you start adding in all the extra shit like hf tilt/coil tap and which coil you're choosing they can be a fuckin ball ache to install.

stockwell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just finished putting Fishman Classic Open Core 8s in my 27-30" Agile 7-string. I currently have it in E or F, all fourths. I'd never bought or installed pickups before. I only have a couple guitars with EMGs to compare them to (that and the stock passives).

I opted for the wiring with 1 push/pull volume (voice 1/2), a 3-way switch, and a tone (coil split...or tap, I always forget the distinction). I also bought the rechargeable battery pack. The cavity was a tight fit. Really had to squeeze everything in there. I also had to drill a new hole for the output jack, since it had a long-thread jack previously. I took my time but soldering turned out not to be as bad as I'd thought.

I think they're great. I was worried it'd be a waste of money and I'd prefer the stocks. Maybe I'm just rationalizing the cost, but I think they sound great. All the different voices and options do actually sound different and useful. Nothing sounds like unusable garbage. Having 3 voice 1, 3 voice 2, and 3 coil tap options is really cool. They sound great with both cleans and heavy stuff. They're not as magical as the marketing would have you believe, but they're worth it IMO.

')