The Fishman Fluence Thread

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Well, I did the thing and bought the Townsend set. Turned my 2 way toggles into three way toggles for voice control and then added a push-pull tone knob for splits. Will finish wiring it up tomorrow.
8F35B5DD-DE4F-4964-A02C-13EF08DD9790.jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

juka

Reaction score
Well, I did the thing and bought the Townsend set. Turned my 2 way toggles into three way toggles for voice control and then added a push-pull tone knob for splits. Will finish wiring it up tomorrow.View attachment 74620

Although some cork sniffers call it a sacrilege, PRS and Fishman are always a great combo:
IMG_0415.jpeg

Let us know how you like the Devins in your guitar! Tried the Devins, too, and although they sounded great in there I was constantly checking the tone pot because they always had that sound like you had accidentally rolled down the tone

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
The Townsend set is pretty damn great, guys. I like 'em just fine and here are my thoughts after a few days of playing. My setup is a EL34 5151 III with the matching cab and a bunch of effects that live on my board.

The bridge pickup is gnarly. Very thick and chunky with a bunch of clarity. Voice 2 is fine, but I don't see myself really using it a whole bunch. The split tones on V1 are cool for overdriving a clean channel or using with a Klon type of pedal. V2 in split mode is so-so; I don't see myself really using it for anything which continues my apathy towards that voicing in general on this pickup.

The neck pickup in particular is absolutely killer for leads. My favorite pickup set of all time is the CrunchLab/Liquifire and, while I wouldn't say that it's a Liquifire clone or anything, it has similar characteristics to that pickup that I really like such as having a "swooshy" or "squishy" pick attack (horrible descriptors, I know) when doing sweeping or alternate picking. Both V1 and V2 and their split options sound killer on cleans.

Many players are warning others against this pickup set all over the internets because they are said to sound like the tone control is rolled off a little bit. Yeah, the pickups are a little dark but in my experience I didn't find anything that really couldn't be fixed with a turn of the treble setting on my amp. One more thing is that Dev said the 3rd voice, which is really just a split, sounds like a Telecaster. Nah. It's really good and single coily but a Tele it is not.

Overall: 8/10, very thicc and the splits are fantastic for ambient and clean stuff but adding a little more MSG could bring out the natural umami flavor.

Reaction score
Thanks for the review
It’s just as I suspected from your description

that’s why I really love the Fluence...no matter if the overdrive isn’t your taste (for instance your sounds like it’s very mid heavy , as Devin did say he likes that thickness, and Fishman videos show it in that way) your gonna love the cleans

and did you notice how silent they are??

can you describe your wiring a bit more, did you throw in gain toggle Or was it already there? Did you have split options on top of the gain toggle ? How many voices in total (?? If you are able to tell?) meaning out of possibilities , did you wire EVERYTHING or just a couple things

for example, I’m a huge fan of the Carpenter set. I think they are the closest to the EMG 81 Fluence has out, and I installed it in TOTAL contradiction to SRC. He wired his WEIRD. Like he limits his options so much, but I guess he wants it wired to how he plays

I (tried) to wire mine like the modern but the SRC circuit board are tweaked and don’t allow for split coil(no biggie ) but I installed the gain and the boost is subtle but significant

like it gives my four voicings etc a lot to change up, especially if split hum(middle 3 way )

My point is there are a lot of options, Like if you don’t like the modern or Carpenter because they do sound like EMG scooped 81, there ARE sets with warm or thick vibes

great post dude

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
The beauty of Fishmans, from what I've seen so far, is the amount of tonal options that you're given to play with.

The guitar it's in is a PRS Custom 24-08 so I had a mini-toggle for each pickup that would split the sound. I originally intended on putting two three-way mini-toggles in it. I was going off of the 3 Voices thing but it turns out that there are just 2 voices and you can split them afterwards so I just kept the two-way switches in there and ended up putting a push-pull tone in.

So the wiring is as follows:
  • 3-way Pickup Selector: Bridge-Bridge/Neck-Neck
  • Bridge Mini-Toggle: (Down) Voice 1-(Up) Voice 2
  • Neck Mini-Toggle: (Down) Voice 1-(Up) Voice 2
  • Push/Pull Tone Pot: Split Coil on all pickups
The way it's wired gives me a stupid amount of combinations since I can toggle V1 and V2 independently for each pickup. With each pickup isolated I have 4 different voicing options.
  • (V1)
  • (V1) Split
  • (V2)
  • (V2) Split
So the potential for mixing and matching is a lot.

Reaction score
The beauty of Fishmans, from what I've seen so far, is the amount of tonal options that you're given to play with.

The guitar it's in is a PRS Custom 24-08 so I had a mini-toggle for each pickup that would split the sound. I originally intended on putting two three-way mini-toggles in it. I was going off of the 3 Voices thing but it turns out that there are just 2 voices and you can split them afterwards so I just kept the two-way switches in there and ended up putting a push-pull tone in.

So the wiring is as follows:
  • 3-way Pickup Selector: Bridge-Bridge/Neck-Neck
  • Bridge Mini-Toggle: (Down) Voice 1-(Up) Voice 2
  • Neck Mini-Toggle: (Down) Voice 1-(Up) Voice 2
  • Push/Pull Tone Pot: Split Coil on all pickups
The way it's wired gives me a stupid amount of combinations since I can toggle V1 and V2 independently for each pickup. With each pickup isolated I have 4 different voicing options.
  • (V1)
  • (V1) Split
  • (V2)
  • (V2) Split
So the potential for mixing and matching is a lot.
Ok, so you DID wire it specifically to YOUR tastes and needs

That’s awesome; so far you are the only other person I know that went all out on a sig set (For instance, I COULD have added H/F tilt, but I chose not to, i didnt want to roll back any highs AT ALL, so i instead installed just one switch as opposed to an additional knob for the tilt.)..as i said, only difference i would have made was to add the split coil option, but that wasnt on option on the SRC circuit board, which I was slightly disappointed, and found odd....because they are basically a Fluence Modern Ceramic Bridge on steroids, but at the cost of split coil

Its all good, between the four set voicings, the switch, and messing around with tone knobs, you literally can’t find something great

VERY VERY awesome post, Thanks for such detail man

EDIT - My bad, I just realized the blue PRS is YOURS lol its GORGEOUS DUDE

juka

Reaction score
Any news on the Javier Reyes Signature Set?
Weren't they supposed to released on Black Friday?

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Fishman Universal Battery pack - do I want one or not?
I read 9V battery lasts only 110h. Do people buy rechargable 9V batteries, use the Fishman pack or just buy new batteries because they last long enough?
Not going to read through 56 pages =)

Reaction score
Fishman Fluence EAT batteries, especially if you play a lot daily.....

I say get the battery pack, especially if it fits your cavity

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Fishman Universal Battery pack - do I want one or not?
I read 9V battery lasts only 110h. Do people buy rechargable 9V batteries, use the Fishman pack or just buy new batteries because they last long enough?
Not going to read through 56 pages =)

When I was regularly gigging 4 nights a week, 1, 1/2 hr sets (plus daily hourly practice or noodling), a Duracel lasts me a month.

My EMG Hetset equipped guitar lasts me 3 months doing the same rounds.

Reaction score
When I was regularly gigging 4 nights a week, 1, 1/2 hr sets (plus daily hourly practice or noodling), a Duracel lasts me a month.

My EMG Hetset equipped guitar lasts me 3 months doing the same rounds.
Really? Thats really not bad for Fishman...did you have your boost off? No extra stuff running? Active or passive mode mostly?

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Really? Thats really not bad for Fishman...did you have your boost off? No extra stuff running? Active or passive mode mostly?
Passive active or splits dont really affect power consumption. I dont run boost pedals too. Most of the time, it's just my guitar through the ax8 and an ss power amp.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
I made an offer for package deal, Devin set + Battery Pack. Might be fine without the battery but I'm having 2nd thoughts about the Devin set. I keep reading they are too dark for dark guitars. I have this Tokai LPC style that is going to be without pickups soon and wanted to try something new. Anyone not having problems with Townsend set in darker guitar? Very few sound demos found online.

Tosin set intrigues me more but there are no 2nd hand for sale and I might out a set in my 8 stringer if it doesn't sell with the stock pups.

EarlWellington

Reaction score
I've borrowed a mate's guitar with fishman fluences in it and have noticed that when I roll the volume off half way I lose all the signal, but with the volume fully rolled off the signal returns to about 75% strength. Anyone experienced this?

I also don't really notice a change in the voicings when using the tone knob to select. Is this a low battery issue or likely a dodgy volume pot? I'll be swapping the battery out tomorrow to try that out but thought I'd check to see if there were any other ideas?

Reaction score
I've borrowed a mate's guitar with fishman fluences in it and have noticed that when I roll the volume off half way I lose all the signal, but with the volume fully rolled off the signal returns to about 75% strength. Anyone experienced this?

I also don't really notice a change in the voicings when using the tone knob to select. Is this a low battery issue or likely a dodgy volume pot? I'll be swapping the battery out tomorrow to try that out but thought I'd check to see if there were any other ideas?
I cant say the same exactly, but I know what you mean. Also, if you get a chance, please try to unplug and plug it back in at high volume and see what happens....I’ve been getting like a volume 10, drop to 0 and quick crescendo to the knob degree.....I DO think its battery related, because this happens more when the battery is dying....

If i notice anything else, Ill let you know ....

(Did you try a new battery btw)

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Is the Abasi 8 string set in white an existing product? It's listed on their site but can't find a listing anywhere in the world.

')