The Fishman Fluence Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I uh.
Didn't se that coming. :lol:

But yeah, a bass tweaked to sound like a high end NS2 or Warwick Streamer would be killer.

Last edited:

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
My only concern is that he was playing with treble all the way up, with a pick, and the tone was not bright one bit, how would it sound with fingerstyle? I guess adding the std. Fishman bass bridge pickup (which has 3 voicings) and blending could sound really good.

Gmork

Reaction score
When i heard of the tosins in white i imagined them in my white ironlabel... Then i thought of the javiers in my goc 8...
Then i thought about financing at long and mcquade lolol.

I really shouldnt........
Right?
Lolololol

daryl f ambrous

Reaction score
Hello , I had same problem when I went to install my leith merrow set in my schecter apocolyps cr fs1. U cannot use half moon shape switch , it's wat to tall , dimarzio has one that is like a box on switch and it's much more shallow and will fix your dilemma, sorry I cannot post link because I haven't fulfilled requirements to do so. I hope this helps thougj

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
Im back in the market for a new 6 string that can do Drop B and C Standard. Came across the new Charvel PRO-MOD SO-CAL STYLE 2 24 HH 2PT CM ASH (Link below) would be a good mix for doing Dream Theatre, Arch Enemy, Slipknot, Stone Sour and Machine Head tones. However, i need to know more on these new to me Open Core thingerybob pickups are like. Could they do the vast cleans of Dream Theatre and also do the other assorted filth?

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/so-cal/style-2/pro-mod-so-cal-style-2-24-hh-2pt-cm-ash/2966511503

Its either a guitar that's sorted like this from stock, or a Modded PRS SE or a Fender Jim Root, then rip out the EMGs for a Seymour Duncan Nazgul or Pegasus/Sentient.

Ive been out of the active pickup game for over a decade now and am wondering what is new out there, or if EMGs are exactly what i need, a one trick pony for the assorted filth and just forget the expansive tones?

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I know I've asked this before in the other Fluence thread. But I just installed the EMG Hetfields back to my Modern equipped guitar. And I don't know if I'm imagining things, but the Hets seem darker now but in my other guitars it's not. The Hets were in this guitar too before I did the Fluence swap and I don't remember them sounding like this.

Is it because of the different value capacitor (0.22 uF) that Fluence uses in the tone pot? What does the different value "exactly" do?

ryanougrad

Reaction score
This may have been asked, but is there any difference between the 25k volume and 25k push/pull tone pot that comes with the Fluence set? I'm wondering if I can use one of the "tone" pots as a volume in a vol/vol/tone setup? Not sure if the taper is different between their volume and tone pots?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
This may have been asked, but is there any difference between the 25k volume and 25k push/pull tone pot that comes with the Fluence set? I'm wondering if I can use one of the "tone" pots as a volume in a vol/vol/tone setup? Not sure if the taper is different between their volume and tone pots?

I think they are the same.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

I used it as a volume without issues.

Unlike EMG, they don't hard wire caps onto the pot so it could be used as a volume. It doesn't become a tone pot until you wire a cap onto it.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Has anyone tried or better yet owned the Fishman bass pickups? If so, how'd they far against other stuff like EMG and Bartolini bass pickups?

This is probably a stupid question, but I was looking into buying a Tosin set used. The seller does not have the wires and pots, which is fine since I have plenty of wire and pots from previous guitars. Instead of using the quick connectors, can I just solder the wires straight to the pins on the pickup or do I have to use the quick connectors?

I think it's weird that they don't have the hardware and connectors. I would pass on it.

ryanougrad

Reaction score
Can the Fluence be powered by the EMG ES-918 external 18 Volt power supply for EMG Pickup (it can also run 9v)? Don't think I can cram a battery or battery pack into my Explorer. Also seems like a great option if running more than one guitar with actives.

Strobe

Reaction score
Can the Fluence be powered by the EMG ES-918 external 18 Volt power supply for EMG Pickup (it can also run 9v)? Don't think I can cram a battery or battery pack into my Explorer. Also seems like a great option if running more than one guitar with actives.

I have talked to customer service on this before. 18V can damage them. They need to run on 9V. There is no benefit to running them 18V, it's just bad for them.

ryanougrad

Reaction score
I have talked to customer service on this before. 18V can damage them. They need to run on 9V. There is no benefit to running them 18V, it's just bad for them.
The 918 can be switched b/t 9 and 18 volt. Just wondering if it can be used to power Fluence.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I know I've asked this before in the other Fluence thread. But I just installed the EMG Hetfields back to my Modern equipped guitar. And I don't know if I'm imagining things, but the Hets seem darker now but in my other guitars it's not. The Hets were in this guitar too before I did the Fluence swap and I don't remember them sounding like this.

Is it because of the different value capacitor (0.22 uF) that Fluence uses in the tone pot? What does the different value "exactly" do?

The cap on a tone pot is out of the circuit when the tone pot is all the way up, and at el least with typical passive values, some interesting scope measurements have shown that the pot has to be turned more than half-way down before the cap value even starts to impact things; the first half of the sweep is just dependent on the value of the pot itself.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
The cap on a tone pot is out of the circuit when the tone pot is all the way up, and at el least with typical passive values, some interesting scope measurements have shown that the pot has to be turned more than half-way down before the cap value even starts to impact things; the first half of the sweep is just dependent on the value of the pot itself.

Thanks for clearing that up. I figured the pickups are a dud. Seems very neutered even in the other guitar with EMG wiring. I thought for a moment that the pot even all the way up affected the treble in active pickups.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. I figured the pickups are a dud. Seems very neutered even in the other guitar with EMG wiring. I thought for a moment that the pot even all the way up affected the treble in active pickups.
Just a reminder: People who say EMGs always sound the same are idiots and never fucking tried them. :lol: EMGs can be just as picky as passives.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Just a reminder: People who say EMGs always sound the same are idiots and never fucking tried them. :lol: EMGs can be just as picky as passives.

Truth.

And to wit, the Fluences are much more picky. The moderns and classic I had sound vastly different in my guitars when I swap them out against each other. The relative eq is there, but the interaction with the wood is more apparent than say putting EMG 81s in different guitars.

The Moderns sound small in my Mahogany 7, but much bigger in my alder 7. Both had 707s and 81-7s before and sounded close to each other.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score

The pot value always matters. Just the tone cap value matters only once the pot starts getting turned down.

Latest posts

')