The Fishman Fluence Thread

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Guess I'll just wait for a crazy deal on a used Tosin set and give one more fair shot. If those still have the same feeling I don't get along with, then I guess I just understand why so many people prefer passive to active. Thanks for the input guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Guess I'll just wait for a crazy deal on a used Tosin set and give one more fair shot. If those still have the same feeling I don't get along with, then I guess I just understand why so many people prefer passive to active. Thanks for the input guys!
The Tosin set was too close to the Modern set for me to warrant their purchase. I returned them.
The KM set was different enough though.

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
To me, the Moderns sound like what EMG haters think EMGs sound like. Boring, lifeless, just really meh. Nothing special. I much prefer the Classics.

It was a pickup I was desperate to like. I like technology, and I like the idea behind it, but I tried it and it managed to overcome my enthusiasm with its blandness. Which was a real disappointment, because I really wanted to like it.

Strobe

Reaction score
To me, the Moderns sound like what EMG haters think EMGs sound like. Boring, lifeless, just really meh. Nothing special. I much prefer the Classics.
It was a pickup I was desperate to like. I like technology, and I like the idea behind it, but I tried it and it managed to overcome my enthusiasm with its blandness. Which was a real disappointment, because I really wanted to like it.

Huh. I prefer the Classic and Tosin set, but I like the modern. It's compressed but less than an EMG. To my ears, it has a little better clarity, more pleasant cleans, and a bit more low end as compared to say an EMG81. I still like the 81, I just prefer both the modern ceramic and alnico. Either in the neck sounds way better than an 85, which is problematic in terms of darkness and output to my ears.

The one thing I will say, the ceramic definitely has a little bit of the cocked wah sound to it. Some like this. The JB has that and it's a super popular pick up. BKP Juggernauts have that. That said, if you hate that, then you probably won't love the ceramic. The alnico has less of that.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The problem I had with the Moderns is that they didn't have the aggressive midrange like the 81, nor did the neck sound as clean and sparkly like the 60. Both the Modern and KsE didn't have the oomph or bite of the 81. It was just pure clarity.

Only thing I liked about the Moderns/KsE is the Voice 2 of the moderns sounded cool for old school metal sounds, and Voice 2 and 3 of the KsEs were REALLY great for cleans.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
The KSE bridge has zero bass compared to the Modern which already has a lean bass. Totally hated the KSE when I tried it with a Caparison. As for the moderns not being as big sounding as an 81, I agree. But in my case, I put the moderns in a dark and bassy sounding guitar, and it definitely balanced the overall character.

As for everything, I prefer the Tosins and they feel different than the Moderns since they have a more natural feel and a conventional eq that would be more in line with bareknuckles and Dimarzios that Tosin have used in the past.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Im just curious to all Fishamn owners out there that also are familliar with EMG's. How would you compare the noise floor to EMG's? Less, same, equal? I use 707 in bridge curently.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Im just curious to all Fishamn owners out there that also are familliar with EMG's. How would you compare the noise floor to EMG's? Less, same, equal? I use 707 in bridge curently.

The Fluece sets I have are much quieter that my 81/60s. i dont even use a noise gate on mine. The hetset is quieter than my 81s, but the moderns and Tosins I have are also quieter than the Het.

Although, the alnico modern is proving to be equal in terms of noise floor compared to my EMGs. So at full gain, the modern ceramic bridge is quiet but when you switch to the neck alnico, you get some hum.Even if I switch their positions, it's the same.

I have had a 707 in my COW7, now it has a Modern ceramic, and the difference in their noise floor is really noticeable.

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
I keep coming back to the Classics, personally. Can get really dry or saturated at will with the two voicing options.

Also loving the battery pack, I haven't charged my guitar in like 9 months and it's still going strong.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
The problem I had with the Moderns is that they didn't have the aggressive midrange like the 81, nor did the neck sound as clean and sparkly like the 60. Both the Modern and KsE didn't have the oomph or bite of the 81. It was just pure clarity.

Only thing I liked about the Moderns/KsE is the Voice 2 of the moderns sounded cool for old school metal sounds, and Voice 2 and 3 of the KsEs were REALLY great for cleans.
That's kinda where the Stef Carpenter set is voiced. Like the Modern bit a bit more aggressive midrange. I personally love the 6 string Stef set but have not tried Moderns.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I've yet to try the Stefs. It's weird because people either really love them or hate them. They claim they're the meanest, brightest, and most aggressive Moderns, but then others claim they're muddy and bassy as shit
I've seen dudes call them muddy and I'm kinda baffled by that. My 6 string set is in a LTD SC-20 with an Alder body and is tight as hell. Super clear when riffing and just has the qualities I've always wanted in an active pickup tbh.

When I first got them, I put them in my Jim Root Tele just by using the quick connectors because I wanted to hear them quick and man did they do wonders in that guitar over the EMG 81/60 combo. It was amazing the difference in clarity over the 81, which imo seemed somewhat dark in that guitar.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Hope you aren't wrong. :lol: When I tried the KsEs, they didn't really seem like an improvement over the 81/60 set I had in the guitar. Just made the guitar sound wimpy and thin.

')