The Fishman Fluence Thread

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
.......others claim they're muddy and bassy as shit

Seeing the video of Steph at Namm Fishman booth/demo, even Steph said in front of the crowd if he was given the chance again he'd change them. It sounds like he's not even really happy with them. I remember seeing it and was thinking uh oh, that's not a good endorcement there : )

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am now a part of the Fishman Fluence family.
3845797C-4B3D-454A-A752-5270D555D65A.jpeg5FDE604E-AAAD-4128-B015-D69342101F8C.jpeg16ED0D68-2F51-4A2B-80F4-202781C057C1.jpeg3C2CF945-CF16-4959-9399-F00891936BF1.jpeg

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Rarely have I been this indecisive, going back and forth with do I order Tosin 8's for my RG2228. I'll probably sell the guitar soon so the question is more do I want to test something else than 808s as long as I have the guitar and does the swap raise the value of the guitar enough.
When I go look for passives instead I always come to the conclusion that a new set of Fishmans is cheaper than or equal to 2nd hand quality passives.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Ya fishmans are super cheap used.

The tech should be a lot more scalable then traditional technology as well so maybe they'll get even cheaper.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
My Strandberg Fusion NT is arriving today, and has a HSH setup. I'm really contemplating doing some combination of an Open Core, Reyes, and/or Merrow setup.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
I’m thinking of swapping the moderns in my Singularity for Classics or Tosins. Is it a simple swap or do I need to rewire to whole thing?

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Seeing the video of Steph at Namm Fishman booth/demo, even Steph said in front of the crowd if he was given the chance again he'd change them. It sounds like he's not even really happy with them. I remember seeing it and was thinking uh oh, that's not a good endorcement there : )

Yep, found it! Forward to 6:25.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if they’ll make a “2.0” version...

They certainly looked sweet in my guitar, but that bridge was a bit of a one trick pony for my taste.

If he had the opportunity to voice something between a JB and an 81, I’d be aaalllllll over it! Not likely, but one can dream.

Strobe

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if they’ll make a “2.0” version...

They certainly looked sweet in my guitar, but that bridge was a bit of a one trick pony for my taste.

If he had the opportunity to voice something between a JB and an 81, I’d be aaalllllll over it! Not likely, but one can dream.

Between a JB and an 81 is kind of how I hear the normal modern set.

I kind of heard the SC set as a modern with way more lows and a slightly different midrange. For my personal preferences that's not necessarily bad, but it's bad for extended range, which oddly is his thing.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Between a JB and an 81 is kind of how I hear the normal modern set.

I kind of heard the SC set as a modern with way more lows and a slightly different midrange. For my personal preferences that's not necessarily bad, but it's bad for extended range, which oddly is his thing.

I didn’t find them “bad” for ER, the bridge just sounded and felt like a “all metal, all the time” tone to me. I guess what I’d really like to see is a tweaked version of the Modern with an alnico in the bridge (voiced accordingly - I didn’t care for the Modern neck in the bridge).

I’d just use the Classic set but I’ve got an Ibanez multi-scale that uses 8 string pups in a 7-string guitar.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After spending some time with the Moderns, I’m now considering swapping the Rear PU with the Front PU (the Ceramic has a bit of that “cocked wah” thing going on). However I’m a bit apprehensive considering I’m not a huge fan of the EMG Super 77 in the Neck (which are similar and also uses Ceramic Magnets).

I may opt to go with a Alnico/Alnico configuration, or possibly try out the Tosin’s. I’m not a fan of his tone, but I do like the options. I’m really anticipating the Reyes set, which may be just right for me. But I want a Fishman PU that has the soap bar shape in order to keep the current aesthetic. Any feedback or recommendations? Also to note, I’m using V1 Gain on both pickups. I may go back to the original setting on the Front PU since I really only use it for high gain anyways. Additionally I don’t really use V2 for either pickup (yet), although that may change over time.

I do want to note that I’ve tried the Classics on a 6 string, and wasn’t a huge fan. They were nosier than the EMG 57/66 set and only one voice from each PU was usable for me. The brightness and clarity were great on V1, but V2 sounded incredibly “choked” for lack of a better word. The 57/66-7 is too compressed for me, I much preferred them in a 6 string. I love V1 on the Moderns, but just want it to be a bit sweeter and buttery with more usable options for my tastes.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
@hensh!n
Sounds to me like you're overthinking it. Have you considered passives? =)

Strobe

Reaction score
After spending some time with the Moderns, I’m now considering swapping the Rear PU with the Front PU (the Ceramic has a bit of that “cocked wah” thing going on). However I’m a bit apprehensive considering I’m not a huge fan of the EMG Super 77 in the Neck (which are similar and also uses Ceramic Magnets).

I may opt to go with a Alnico/Alnico configuration, or possibly try out the Tosin’s. I’m not a fan of his tone, but I do like the options. I’m really anticipating the Reyes set, which may be just right for me. But I want a Fishman PU that has the soap bar shape in order to keep the current aesthetic. Any feedback or recommendations? Also to note, I’m using V1 Gain on both pickups. I may go back to the original setting on the Front PU since I really only use it for high gain anyways. Additionally I don’t really use V2 for either pickup (yet), although that may change over time.

I do want to note that I’ve tried the Classics on a 6 string, and wasn’t a huge fan. They were nosier than the EMG 57/66 set and only one voice from each PU was usable for me. The brightness and clarity were great on V1, but V2 sounded incredibly “choked” for lack of a better word. The 57/66-7 is too compressed for me, I much preferred them in a 6 string. I love V1 on the Moderns, but just want it to be a bit sweeter and buttery with more usable options for my tastes.

I have a 7 string guitar with moderns (ceramic bridge) and a 6 string with an alnico in the bridge (single pickup). The alnico is not a vastly different sound than the ceramic, but it *is* less cocked wah sounding. Voice 2 is also less cocked wah sounding on both pickups. That said, the cocked wah thing kind of works in the mix in my experience. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing.

@hensh!n

Not to be contrary, but I am not sure switching to passives is going to inoculate anyone from the dangers of overthinking pickups :)

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
The cocked wah sound is easily remedied by boosting the bass and scooping the mids a little on your amp. The less cocked wah sounding Fluence Ceramic is the Tosin and the Adler. But I guess if you are going for a seven soapbar, the choices dwindle between the Modern, Stephen and the Tosin.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@hensh!n
I’ve only been using Actives for about 4 years, spending the other 15 using Passives. I liked the SD Jazz in the Neck, and used the JBE Two Tones for 2+ years. Other than that, nothing has been remarkable or stood out to me. Looking back, most of them were pretty weak sounding and noisy. But I didn’t get into swapping stock PU’s until 2013. I recently tried a set of BKP Aftermaths, which sounded pretty clean for Ceramic PU’s, but not worth the ridiculous asking price.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The cocked wah sound is easily remedied by boosting the bass and scooping the mids a little on your amp. The less cocked wah sounding Fluence Ceramic is the Tosin and the Adler. But I guess if you are going for a seven soapbar, the choices dwindle between the Modern, Stephen and the Tosin.

Perhaps the Tosin are where it’s at.

ZombieLloyd

Not one 7 string
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this question is really dumb, but would a Fishman Fluence humbucker work with the Dual Mode cable from the EMGs with coil split?

Last edited:

Latest posts

')