The Fishman Fluence Thread

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Anyone used EMG and Fluence in the same guitar?

Got one of those Schecter Super Shredder 7's coming in and wanna chuck a fluence in the bridge

won’t really work. Or at least you can’t really cross the streams without some creative wiring. Actually you can’t combine them at all. Fluences need a bridge ground and emgs don’t use one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Yeah you can mix an emg and fluence in one guitar. It's a pain to wire if you just want to change voices with the fluence on a 1 vol, 1 tone guitar.

With the power concerns, yeah they do eat batteries a bit but not so bad. You hear the sound degrade when the battery is pumping lower than 7.8 volts. It is very obvious since you lose a lot of low end and it gets trebly.

The fluence recheargeable battery is going for cheap now and it is easy to wire. I suggest doing that. Since even though the warning light is on the red, you still get a uniform output of 8.5 volts or something. And they last a bit better vs duracels.

Reaction score
Yeah you can mix an emg and fluence in one guitar. It's a pain to wire if you just want to change voices with the fluence on a 1 vol, 1 tone guitar.

With the power concerns, yeah they do eat batteries a bit but not so bad. You hear the sound degrade when the battery is pumping lower than 7.8 volts. It is very obvious since you lose a lot of low end and it gets trebly.

The fluence recheargeable battery is going for cheap now and it is easy to wire. I suggest doing that. Since even though the warning light is on the red, you still get a uniform output of 8.5 volts or something. And they last a bit better vs duracels.
The strat backplate one doesnt fit on the ibanez RG space, its too big.....do you think light routing is worth installing it over just getting a rechargeable 9 volt? Because my tone pot is occupying the other cavity....so i dont know where i would put the other fishman usb battery?

mrdm53

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Fishman Classics in 8 string? I'm kinda torn between this and Merrow's set for 8 to replace my Duncan Solar Pickups. Anyway my guitar has Ash body for reference

Note: I'm looking for passive sized pickups, so neither Tosins, moderns, or SRC set is not acceptable.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Fishman Classics in 8 string? I'm kinda torn between this and Merrow's set for 8 to replace my Duncan Solar Pickups. Anyway my guitar has Ash body for reference

Note: I'm looking for passive sized pickups, so neither Tosins, moderns, or SRC set is not acceptable.

Well the neck is exactly the same on both sets so take that out of the equation. It's all bridge. Even then, the Merrow is just a tweaked Classic according to official statements. I find the Merrow set to be a tad too fizzy for me but I haven't tried the Classics so I don't know if it's worse. Might sit well in an 8-string actually. My KM sets have all been in 7-strings.

Reaction score
Not to be a pain, but can someone link me to what rechargeable 9v batteries are you using? I bought one and its not even powering the pickups, so should I get like Duracell or energizer?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I threw a set of classics into my Edwards Horizon a couple years back. Very clear and articulate pickups, I could hear every note in a chord. However, I didn’t care for any of the alternate voicings. The Hot Rodded PAF sounded too muddy for me, and the Clear Airy Neck tone was unusable for me due to the mid scoop. Also, I found the pickups to be noisier than the passive pickups I was using before them (JBE Two/Tones).

Was thinking about trying a set of Moderns though, especially with the low-gain option. Does anyone have any experience with using the low-gain option on the Moderns? Would like to hear about your experience.

pablometal

Reaction score
If you are going to leave your guitar plugged in it’s gonna drain. The best thing to do is get a kill switch stereo cable that you can lift the ground on. Or wire a switch.
Although honestly if I were you I’d just use a rechargeable and leave the usb charger plugged in.

i'm just always charging one battery lol

LHjwFGT.jpg

Reaction score
I threw a set of classics into my Edwards Horizon a couple years back. Very clear and articulate pickups, I could hear every note in a chord. However, I didn’t care for any of the alternate voicings. The Hot Rodded PAF sounded too muddy for me, and the Clear Airy Neck tone was unusable for me due to the mid scoop. Also, I found the pickups to be noisier than the passive pickups I was using before them (JBE Two/Tones).

Was thinking about trying a set of Moderns though, especially with the low-gain option. Does anyone have any experience with using the low-gain option on the Moderns? Would like to hear about your experience.
I dont have the moderns, I have the Carpenter set. However, since they are based on the moderns (with slight more output and attack) AND I installed the modern(6db gain+treble boost)/classic gain (no boost) switch, I can say this: its only a 6db gain, but I hear a huge difference when I have either voicing (passive or active), especially with Clean tones, it makes the pick attack almost extremely noticeable brittle if you have the treble too high.....the thing with fluence you gotta watch IS the treble, because it has such a clear spectrum, the high end doesnt lose any sustain or response. So if you want to drop to classic(low gain/-6db/no boost) gain then you will notice it immediately. It’s a little less noticeable with super hi gain, but then again, I’m using SRC and super hi gain Mesa rigs, but even then, there is a slight difference in a good way...theres a lot more clarity with the boost on

If youre wondering whether to install it or not, I would recommend it if you want to get everything out of the Fluence, which I do....

brandon7s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Reaction score
You know, there was two rated at 850mah....would those be even more powerful, they are saying they are equivalent to an average of 8.4V alkaline...so do you think go with 800 or 850mah???

9 Volt Battery with Charger, Kratax 4-Packs 850mAh Li-ion Rechargeable Batteries and 2Slot Charger, for Smoke Alarms,Cameras,Walkie Talkies,Toy Remotes,Microphones and Other Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYMB39W/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

BearOnGuitar

Reaction score
They may be offering more capacity but these rechargable batteries will not operate at 9v but somewhere between 6-8.4v which could affect the performance of the pickups. I just ordered myself one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FV0U5WG/?tag=sevenstringorg-20 , they don't get the best reviews consistently but I don't mind trying them out as so far these are the only ones I found which should actually operate at close to 9v or above.

Reaction score
They may be offering more capacity but these rechargable batteries will not operate at 9v but somewhere between 6-8.4v which could affect the performance of the pickups. I just ordered myself one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FV0U5WG/?tag=sevenstringorg-20 , they don't get the best reviews consistently but I don't mind trying them out as so far these are the only ones I found which should actually operate at close to 9v or above.
Wow thats impressive....please , if you dont mind, how did you find these? Because i went through so many searches on amazon but these look amazing

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

here’s the thing. The Fishman powerpack isn’t a 9v cell. It’s 4.2v lipo run through a voltage doubler.
So if you like the sound of your pups at 9v or above that’s cool. But Fishman designed these things to run between 8-8.4

')