The Fishman Fluence Thread

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I’m surprised that there were no major announcements at NAMM. Couple years ago and there were loads of new models and seemingly every artist was switching over to Fishman.

This year, one set of bass pickups, and a signature set for a guy I never heard of. Guess they’re not the hotness any more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I’m surprised that there were no major announcements at NAMM. Couple years ago and there were loads of new models and seemingly every artist was switching over to Fishman.

This year, one set of bass pickups, and a signature set for a guy I never heard of. Guess they’re not the hotness any more.

I think it comes down more to people being happy with the existing models really (including the endorsed artists). Most of them are using sets of Moderns and are perfectly happy with just those. There's no need in creating new sets if there's not a demand for it. Honestly, they'd be better off working on offering their existing sets in more configurations (open-core, 7-string, 8-string, and so forth). The line-up is so oddly divided all over the place at this point. One set comes in white, another doesn't, this one comes in bobbins, this one only soapbar. It's annoying.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

A Jackson line at 799 with fishmans, 4 different charvel models. Which means they signed a big deal with Fender.
6 or 7 new Schecters with stock fishmans

You don't need to put out new stuff when the stuff you're doing is selling.
Selling shit is the goal.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score

They also announced Javier Reyes signature set, is this the guy you never heard of before, really?

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
One thing I noticed on the Fluence JR set, there are 2 versions, and one of them is "angled". I'm surprised there is no other mention of this except the link's text, here: https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/...es_Signature_7-String_Angled_Paired__9084.jpg
PRF-CS7-JR2_Fluence_Javier_Reyes_Signature_7-String_Angled_Paired__9084.jpg

So is this a first? Can Fishmans now be installed in multi-scale guitars?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
One thing I noticed on the Fluence JR set, there are 2 versions, and one of them is "angled". I'm surprised there is no other mention of this except the link's text, here: https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/...es_Signature_7-String_Angled_Paired__9084.jpg
PRF-CS7-JR2_Fluence_Javier_Reyes_Signature_7-String_Angled_Paired__9084.jpg

So is this a first? Can Fishmans now be installed in multi-scale guitars?

well they could always be installed in multi scales.

The tosins have one pole and one blade magnet in the neck so you want to keep the fan reasonable.

The moderns have blades on all the coils so as long as the strings aren't outside the pickups they always work.

This should be the first set of straight poles that should work tho

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
^ I thought about that, but then that's I think the first time they'd done that. Previous models, e.g. Abasi, Keith have one image per option/color.

Bobo

Reaction score
Anyone tried swapping positions for the Modern set? I haven't seen that, although I'm sure it's been tried like the seemingly popular 81/85 swap.

I love the 85 in the bridge, thick and very powerful...wonder how the alnico 5 Modern would do in that role.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Anyone tried swapping positions for the Modern set? I haven't seen that, although I'm sure it's been tried like the seemingly popular 81/85 swap.

I love the 85 in the bridge, thick and very powerful...wonder how the alnico 5 Modern would do in that role.
I did and mentioned here how much I preferred it over the normal config.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
So I've now tried a fourth set of Fishman Moderns in a fourth guitar, I just don't get it to be honest. Their clarity is fantastic, but every Bare Knuckle I've tried has the same amount of clarity and note definition as Fishmans. I swear Fishmans (at least the moderns) are way more "Active" sounding than EMGs or SD Blackouts. Plus the lack of coil splitting on the 7 string set is just a no go for me. Guess I'm sticking with passives, because I just can't get into the Fishman Modern sound. They are so ice picky and fake sounding. I really wish I could try out another set like Tosin's, but I can't spend that much after my experience with the Moderns.

I guess my point of this post is to get some insight. Does every set have the same "feel" and just different sounds? I just can't get past the feel of the Moderns, no matter if it's Voice 1 or 2.

Last edited:

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
So I've now tried a fourth set of Fishman Moderns in a fourth guitar, I just don't get it to be honest. Their clarity is fantastic, but every Bare Knuckle I've tried has the same amount of clarity and note definition as Fishmans. I swear Fishmans (at least the moderns) are way more "Active" sounding than EMGs or SD Blackouts. Plus the lack of coil splitting on the 7 string set is just a no go for me. Guess I'm sticking with passives, because I just can't get into the Fishman Modern sound. They are so ice picky and fake sounding. I really wish I could try out another set like Tosin's, but I can't spend that much after my experience with the Moderns.

I guess my point of this post is to get some insight. Does every set have the same "feel" and just different sounds? I just can't get past the feel of the Moderns, no matter if it's Voice 1 or 2.

What amp are you using it on? Signal chain?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

no the abasi and the classics feel much different then the moderns.

And the coil splits on the moderns don’t do that much either.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I'm an Axe FX user, specifically an AX8. That into a Scarlett 2i4 -> JBL 305 monitors.

I believe Lewis also has had a bad experience with Moderns through his AX8. I'm an AX8 user too, but I use it through a power amp and a cab and I don't hear much difference between my EMG 81 in terms of overall output and response. They sound relatively close despite their difference in eq. Although, I had an issue with it sounding squishy and overly compressed, but I fixed it by adjusting the input gain (pad) in the AX8.

Sounds ok, but I vastly prefer the Tosins now since they sound bigger and closer to my EMG Hetset loaded guitars. I still have the Moderns in case I play through amps with big and loose low end.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

It's likely not because we're using FAS products but yeah, same experience for me. The feel is the same among them in my opinion (Modern, Tosin, Merrow) but the tones are different. It's hard to separate tone from feel though since you don't ever technically have pickups changing physical feelings. Also, the clarity isn't unparalleled imo either. The Bare Knuckle and Guitarmory sets I have just the same levels (if not better actually) clarity than any of my Fishman sets. There's a top end fizz most of my passives don't have that make them sound better than them as well. All that said, the KM set is awesome imo. It's just that I've found stuff I like a bit better.

')