The Fishman Fluence Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
It is where it's at. I always advocate for the Tosins since they sound much better than the Moderns and you get a V2 that sounds close to his dimarzio. And the single coil sound is just as good.

You can hear the different modes here:

The Tosins sound so damn good in this guys demo. I was set on ordering another set of Stef's or even Moderns but these are it. I'm gonna give them a shot I think.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Ok before I buy the Tosins, I would like a bit of feedback. I plan to put them in my LTD SC-20 which is maple neck-thru, Alder wings. I've read a bit of chatter that these can be pretty bright, so I'm just checking to see if anyone has experience with these in alder or think this would be a bad pairing.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Ok before I buy the Tosins, I would like a bit of feedback. I plan to put them in my LTD SC-20 which is maple neck-thru, Alder wings. I've read a bit of chatter that these can be pretty bright, so I'm just checking to see if anyone has experience with these in alder or think this would be a bad pairing.

tosin's aren't that bright. it shouldn't matter.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

I have one in an alder and maple neck thru, and there is a little bit of brightness vs my moderns, but I just back down the treble half a step on my amp. But the brightness is not the hairy upper highs kind. The spike is on a more pleasant spot in the overall eq.

LeoLmX

I like turtles.
Reaction score
Will they ever release the charging port on the output jack? I can't wait to put an Abasi or Ravier set but I don't want to make a hole on my precious guitar for the charging port :(

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I have one in an alder and maple neck thru, and there is a little bit of brightness vs my moderns, but I just back down the treble half a step on my amp. But the brightness is not the hairy upper highs kind. The spike is on a more pleasant spot in the overall eq.
You have experience with the Devin set by chance? I think its down to those 2 at this point.

Strobe

Reaction score
You have experience with the Devin set by chance? I think its down to those 2 at this point.

The Devin set is significantly less bright. If you have a super bright guitar, it might tame it. It sounds kind of like a modern but with the tone down halfway. It's still clear, but it's also darker than I typically prefer.

I own the Tosin set, and I slightly prefer them to the moderns. They are to my ears fuller and a little more even. For context, I do not own the Devin set, but my band mate has a guitar with them.

mrdm53

Reaction score
Decided to pull the trigger to bought Fluence KM-8 set to replace Duncan Solar on my Stranough custom 8 strings (Yes it's inspired by old Ibanez DCM with neck pickups added, for more versatility).

IMG_20200209_114615.jpg

First impression:
Pretty impressive pickups IMO. It has different kind of aggression from Moderns, i i had to adjust EQ in my amp (EVH 5150 50w 6L6 version) for my style thought.

About voicings:

Voice 1: good low mid bite, really cool for chugging. Not as tight as Moderns. Clean tone is warm but not muddy for chords

Voice 2: Brown sound with emphasis in mid range tone. Again, is not as tight as Moderns. However, contrary to manual says, i felt that Voice 2 has bigger output than Voice 1.

Voice 3: This is surprising. It has nice twang sound like single coil pickup. Good for slap.

Overall: Thank you Keith for creating this amazing pickups!

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Are the Javiers even out yet? I'm really considering them for my Strandberg Fusion NT, as it seems like it would cover my Prog Metal needs as well as a jazzy sound for cleans, but only examples I've heard are from Javiers videos. I like to play a lot of standard tuned Thrash and some Drop D stuff so kind of want to know if it will work.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
^ Seen them in stock at Sweetwater.com a couple of weeks ago. I'm building a custom guitar, details when complete, and I chose these pickups for the new build, hopefully a couple more months or so.

Jake Haskell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Will they ever release the charging port on the output jack? I can't wait to put an Abasi or Ravier set but I don't want to make a hole on my precious guitar for the charging port :(
You only need to drill a hole in the control cavity cover. I'm sure you could get a spare one in case

lewis

Reaction score
Anyone know of any solderless quick connect cables that work with the recharge pack?
That way i can use the full emg solderless kit and not have to solder a thing.

Ive found the normal quick connect cables but they have different ends to the recharge kit it looks like

Rossness

D A D F# A E
Reaction score
I used to really hate active pickups. When I say that, I’m referring to the EMG 81/85/60/S/SA and all their variants. I found them not to be focused, lifeless and always hated the “liquid fluidity” sound of the neck pickup. Blackouts were better, but still uninspiring. I was the guy who liked passive pups. Favourite pickups were the SD Screamin Demon & Custom Custom, Dean Baker Act, Dimarzio Fred and EBMM Axis pickups.

On a whim, I decided to build a parts guitar with active pickups and used an EMG 57/66 set. I’ve had the parts guitar for over a year now and still really dig the 57 (the 66 still leaves something to be desired). The 57 sounds like the perfect Les Paul PAF. I was playing Judas Priest and Dokken and Van Halen riffs, and it sounds great!

Next, I put the Fluence Killswitch Engage set into my PRS S2. I swear that they’re the best pickups I’ve ever used! The KSE guys have great ears!!!! We even like similar amps too (Laney/ Splawn/ Framus). Anyhow... Voice 1 is JB-esque with nice upper mids. Voice 2 is darker, lower output and reminds me of a Dimarzio Super 3- but one with more clarity. I don’t have mine wired for split coil sounds.

For my next guitar, I’m thinking of doing Fluence pickups again but maybe switching things up to get some tonal variety. I don’t like the classics. I hear the peak frequency and fow whatever reason, it sounds artificial to me. I’ve thought about maybe the Tosin or modern pickups. How do they compare to the KSE fluence pickups? Worst case scenario is that I’ll just get another KSE set. I play mostly 80’s metal/ hard rock.

1 last question- with active pickups like the KSE fluence, does body wood mater or affect the tone the way it does with passive pickups?

Last edited:

lewis

Reaction score
Anyone know of any solderless quick connect cables that work with the recharge pack?
That way i can use the full emg solderless kit and not have to solder a thing.

Ive found the normal quick connect cables but they have different ends to the recharge kit it looks like
Bumping this again

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
1 last question- with active pickups like the KSE fluence, does body wood mater or affect the tone the way it does with passive pickups?
they're the same as any other pickups. What guitar you put them in matters, and the construction method/woods used matters to an extent as well. I had a set of classics in a baritone and hated them. Conversely I loved the moderns I had in them before I swapped. The classics were unbearably bright in that guitar, and they felt honky in it as well. The moderns didn't have as much of that honky quality and I loved v2 on them.
I've tried a couple of other guitars that came preloaded with moderns and they all sound different. The ibanez I tried was super bright and had like no bass response even on v2, the jackson I tried was much thicker/warmer sounding overall.

Fluence of Shred

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bumping this again
Hey @lewis , what set were you attempting to use the EMG solderless kit with [or if you’ve already done so, how did it work out?]?

Do you know if you can Coil Tap on the Modern/Carpenter set with the EMG kit?

Thank you

lewis

Reaction score
Hey @lewis , what set were you attempting to use the EMG solderless kit with [or if you’ve already done so, how did it work out?]?

Do you know if you can Coil Tap on the Modern/Carpenter set with the EMG kit?

Thank you

I basically want to get the strat pack recharge back plate, then find a solderless cable that fits the plug coming off it with the other end normal emg sized.

That way i dont need to solder anything at all right!?
can ground the thing at the EMG Bus thing?

Im hoping with the right cables sourced i can literally plug the recharge battery in seamlessly.

Fluence of Shred

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Theoretically, sure that makes sense. I also dont solder [well] so I dont want to ruin these pickups, because then i wont be able to have anyone fix it during these times....I wonder why Fishman is so vague with technical information and wiring diagrams, something you would think [they know] is essential

The X factor here is the Fluence core, it makes a huge difference, and it looks to me from reading here and online that people have to try crazy things to see if it works, while fishman doesnt really care to help

IDK, all i know is I think the Fluence are the most amazing pickups Ive ever heard, and I mean that completely sincerely.

')