The Fishman Fluence Thread

DEUCE SLUICE

Reaction score
I'm considering putting an HSS set of Fluences into an Ibanez AZ2206, but I'd really like to duplicate the switching configuration it comes with stock.

puswitch_50.png

It seems like if I use a Classic in the bridge, I'd be able to use the "SCO Out" for 2nd position in both modes, and then if the single coil mode is set to "bridge" the coil tap would work for fourth position in tap mode. So I think all the variants are achievable, it's just wiring the switching that's going to be questionable. I don't have the AZ yet so I don't know what the switches look like, just trying to make sure my plan's going to work when I have it.

Ideally in tap mode first position would be voice two of the humbucker, too. This is going to get crazy, isn't it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I'm considering putting an HSS set of Fluences into an Ibanez AZ2206, but I'd really like to duplicate the switching configuration it comes with stock.

puswitch_50.png

It seems like if I use a Classic in the bridge, I'd be able to use the "SCO Out" for 2nd position in both modes, and then if the single coil mode is set to "bridge" the coil tap would work for fourth position in tap mode. So I think all the variants are achievable, it's just wiring the switching that's going to be questionable. I don't have the AZ yet so I don't know what the switches look like, just trying to make sure my plan's going to work when I have it.

Ideally in tap mode first position would be voice two of the humbucker, too. This is going to get crazy, isn't it?

good fucking luck.

seriously. I'm praying for you.

DEUCE SLUICE

Reaction score
Ha, yeah, it's going to be nasty. Found the stock DynaMix9 diagram, at least, and it's just a super switch and a 3PDT. Doesn't look that wacky.

Is the SCO output on the Classic impacted by the voicing switch?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Ha, yeah, it's going to be nasty. Found the stock DynaMix9 diagram, at least, and it's just a super switch and a 3PDT. Doesn't look that wacky.

who the fuck knows. fishman sure doesn't.

I will tell you that you will not be able to do that switching with just a 3 way switch and a 5 way for the fishmans because several of those options need different hot leads or preamp outputs.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I talked before about doing different combos of Fishmans in my Strandberg, but I should probably ask, has anyone mixed and match? Unless I decide to do the routing for Tosins, I'm still debating between Open Core Classics, Merrows, and Javiers for my Fusion Neck Thru.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score

On the “open core” or whatever they’re called, no it does not. On the original covered Classics, yes it does (or did previously if they’ve since changed it).

All of the newer models treat splitting as “Voice 3” whereas the original Modern, Classic, and SRC set (possibly more) have a more typical split that’s then altered by switching between Voice 1 and 2.

EDIT: I know all of this because I’ve got a Modern set in my current 7 wherein the selected voice affects the split mode.

On the other hand the open core Classic set I threw into my KM-7 MkII was wired to select voice via Freeway 6-position toggle, and split via push-pull volume. Splitting overrode whichever voice was selected.

Last edited:

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a question about wiring up these pup, I have the moderns btw.
Unsure if this has been asked before so sorry if it has, I have a schecter c7 hellraiser that has a 3 pots and a 3 way switch not 2 or 4 like the diagrams, what would be the best way to wire this configuration up?

Abrahadabra

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello guys ! I have a question for you. I'm about to buy 2 Fishman Fluence Modern humbuckers and a single width in order to realize a HSH configuration for my strat-like guitar. On this config, i want to wire 3 push-pulls (vol/tone 1/tone 2) and a 5-way switch to have 4 modes : voice 1 (default), voice 2, inner coil tapping and HF Tilt.
I've tried to figure out how to wire those elements and i did a wiring diagram by combinating the Javier Reyes one , the HSH one and the coil tapping one.

This is my wiring diagram below. I'm a noob in wiring and electronics, and i wanted someone to check this and tell me if it's good or not.
HSH 4 voices diagram.png

Here's a little legend of the wires for you to make my diagram more readable:

Neck pickup:
- Turquoise wire is Inner coil tap
- Grey is ground
- Green is voice 2
- Rose is voice 1
- Marine Blue is HF Tilt
- Red goes to the battery

Middle pickup:
- Orange is voice 1
- Purple is HF Tilt
- Flashy Green is voice 2
- Grey is ground

Bridge pickup:
- Grey is ground
- Rose is voice 1
- Yellow is HF Tilt
- Orange is voice 2

There're also two red capacitors on the tone P/P pots as most of the diagrams i saw include them.

Thanks for the attention you'd pay to it,

Abrahadabra.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Hello guys ! I have a question for you. I'm about to buy 2 Fishman Fluence Modern humbuckers and a single width in order to realize a HSH configuration for my strat-like guitar. On this config, i want to wire 3 push-pulls (vol/tone 1/tone 2) and a 5-way switch to have 4 modes : voice 1 (default), voice 2, inner coil tapping and HF Tilt.
I've tried to figure out how to wire those elements and i did a wiring diagram by combinating the Javier Reyes one , the HSH one and the coil tapping one.

This is my wiring diagram below. I'm a noob in wiring and electronics, and i wanted someone to check this and tell me if it's good or not.
View attachment 80445
Here's a little legend of the wires for you to make my diagram more readable:

Neck pickup:
- Turquoise wire is Inner coil tap
- Grey is ground
- Green is voice 2
- Rose is voice 1
- Marine Blue is HF Tilt

Middle pickup:
- Orange is voice 1
- Purple is HF Tilt
- Flashy Green is voice 2
- Grey is ground

Bridge pickup:
- Grey is ground
- Rose is voice 1
- Yellow is HF Tilt
- Orange is voice 2

There're also two red capacitors on the tone P/P pots as most of the diagrams i saw include them.

Thanks for the attention you'd pay to it,

Abrahadabra.

Where's the preamp in and preamp out wire on the single width?

Are you going to hardwire it so that only the single width uses the single width pre?

Actually thinking about it..if you are using a 5 way and not auto-tapping in position 2/4 then that diagram should work.

Abrahadabra

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi diagrammatiks, thanks a lot for your help!

On the single width, the preamp out is the orange wire and the preamp in would be soldered to the coil out (they're not represented on my diagram because apparently according to Fishman diagrams i don't need them) as in the HSH diagram provided by Fishman. And i don't know if it is necessary to add the single width preamp to the humbuckers that are already very powerful...Is it worth it to wire the preamp to the humbuckers?
By the way (and because i'm a total noob at electronics), what is auto-tapping?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Hi diagrammatiks, thanks a lot for your help!

On the single width, the preamp out is the orange wire and the preamp in would be soldered to the coil out (they're not represented on my diagram because apparently according to Fishman diagrams i don't need them) as in the HSH diagram provided by Fishman. And i don't know if it is necessary to add the single width preamp to the humbuckers that are already very powerful...Is it worth it to wire the preamp to the humbuckers?
By the way (and because i'm a total noob at electronics), what is auto-tapping?

no you don't need it for moderns since they don't have the SCO tab.

You can hardwire the Single Width to it's own preamp and use the preamp out as your hot lead for that pickup.

auto-tapping is when the buckers are tapped in positions 2 and 4 to match the middle pickup. It's kind of complicated to do on the fluence but you aren't doing it so it's fine.

Abrahadabra

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok right, thanks for your help and your explanations, i hope my diagram will work when i'll be soldering all the elements and that i'll be able to use the 3 modes with the push/pulls :).
I had just a last question: is it possible to activate the 3 modes together by pulling the pots (voice 2 + HF Tilt + single coil) and doing combinations with the push-pulls (voice 1 + HF Tilt + humbuckers or voice 1 + single coil only...)?

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
So I went ahead and ordered a Tosin set for my Strandberg Original 7, and a Javier set and a SS Single for my Boden Fusion NT. Now if a place was actually open right now near me for installation, but at least I already have them coming and ready to go.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
So I went ahead and ordered a Tosin set for my Strandberg Original 7, and a Javier set and a SS Single for my Boden Fusion NT. Now if a place was actually open right now near me for installation, but at least I already have them coming and ready to go.

Nice choices. Please compare the Javiers against the Tosins if you got the time. I really like the Tosins in V1 but I am also curious with how the Javier set stacks up with its relatively scooped eq.

elkoki

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a question about wiring up these pup, I have the moderns btw.
Unsure if this has been asked before so sorry if it has, I have a schecter c7 hellraiser that has a 3 pots and a 3 way switch not 2 or 4 like the diagrams, what would be the best way to wire this configuration up?

You can wire it in with 2 pots and leave one pot without any use. I had the same setup as you (C7 + Moderns) and I followed the 2 pot diagram and added a mini switch for coil tap. If you feel you can manage that, that's not a bad way to wire it up.

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cheers for your reply, I got in touch with fishman and they gave me a diagram, they replied back to me within 20mins as well which was a shocker. Think I might have an issue though, for some reason the volume pot for the bridge doesnt seem to turn the volume down all the way where as the neck volume does.

elkoki

Reaction score
Cheers for your reply, I got in touch with fishman and they gave me a diagram, they replied back to me within 20mins as well which was a shocker. Think I might have an issue though, for some reason the volume pot for the bridge doesnt seem to turn the volume down all the way where as the neck volume does.

Is the volume pot properly grounded? If the pot has an actual problem maybe you can swap it out? Fluence sets usually come with 4 pots right?

Which diagram did you use? Can I see it?

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I just dropped off my Boden Fusion to get a Javier Reyes set and a SSA installed, so I’ll check back with that hopefully by the end of the week.

I also ordered a Tosin set for my Boden Original 7, but they sent me soap bars when I needed the model with tabs. Otherwise a bunch of routing that I did not want to see, would have been pricey, and was pretty unnecessary. But Zzounds would take them back because the plastic (that was barely on there to begin with) was taken off. I normally do a lot of business with Zzounds so that was a bummer. So the local shop is ordering me the model with the tabs, and I managed to sell the soap bar pickups (unfortunately at a bit of a loss, but it is what it is). Hopefully those are in this week.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Has anyone installed passive sized moderns in an Ibanez RG (6 and/or 7)? Did you have to route the body wood at all on the bottom or sides?

elkoki

Reaction score
Has anyone installed passive sized moderns in an Ibanez RG (6 and/or 7)? Did you have to route the body wood at all on the bottom or sides?

If the Ibanez has pickup rings more than likely it won't need any mods. But if it's got the pickups direct mounted you will almost definitely have to make the pickup slots bigger for Fluences or any pickup with covers on it. Pretty much any standard humbucker without a cover will fit an Ibanez with little to no mods. Usually it's the cover on the pickups that add more bulk and force people to widen the slots.

Fluence does have the "open core" classic pickups that look and are shaped like standard pickups, those may fit without any mods, but I don't have the dimensions on them.

https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/fluence_electric_guitar_pickup_dimensions.pdf

')