The Fishman Fluence Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

juka

Reaction score
Yeah, same with me. When Fluff described it as a Devin with rolled down highs I was pretty shocked because the one thing that made me ditch the Devins was that although I sort of liked their sound under high gain I was constantly checking the tone pot if it really was still wide open and not accidentally rolled down. The last thing the Devin set needs is another cutoff in the highs.
But if you look at the specs you might realize that even Fluff's description doesn't really fit the specs because although he claims V1 is more or less a Devin and V2 is Adler, both of these are ceramic and are variations of the Modern Ceramic while his sig is clearly based on the Modern Alnico he played most of the time as a bridge pup before he had his sig made.
So maybe a better description would be that Fishman took the Modern Alnico and gave it the Devin and Adler "treatment" (and Abasi because that's probably where V3 comes from).

Strobe

Reaction score
So it sounds like he took Voice 1 of the Dev bridge and made it both darker and mid-heavy.

Listening to both his and SMR's video... Fuuuuuuuck me I hate it. Cocked wah city. Voice 2 sounded so much better.
I'm still waiting to hear what Ben Eller's mystery pickup is. His videos sounded much better.

Agree with it sounds a lot like the Devon set, and while I don't hate it, it's not my favorite. That said, I have heard the Devon set sound awesome with different amps. I did not love it with the JP2C here (which is weird as that is my favorite amp), but it tames some of the fizziness on a 5150 (which I like except for the fizziness).

The voice 1 from the Willie Adler set, however, is just one of the best of all the Fishman voices. Just having that as an option makes this a much stronger pickup, combined with the single coil sound. Honestly, I would probably prefer this pickup if it just had voice 2 and 3.

While this one is a mixed bag - having more options is a good thing. There is a lot of marketing hype out there for sure, but the clarity thing on these pickups is real. It's not hype. I own 5 different sets, and it's just there on all of them. I would love to see Fishman cover a little more territory with their offerings.

TheSomberlain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Agree with it sounds a lot like the Devon set, and while I don't hate it, it's not my favorite. That said, I have heard the Devon set sound awesome with different amps. I did not love it with the JP2C here (which is weird as that is my favorite amp), but it tames some of the fizziness on a 5150 (which I like except for the fizziness).

The voice 1 from the Willie Adler set, however, is just one of the best of all the Fishman voices. Just having that as an option makes this a much stronger pickup, combined with the single coil sound. Honestly, I would probably prefer this pickup if it just had voice 2 and 3.

While this one is a mixed bag - having more options is a good thing. There is a lot of marketing hype out there for sure, but the clarity thing on these pickups is real. It's not hype. I own 5 different sets, and it's just there on all of them. I would love to see Fishman cover a little more territory with their offerings.
The Dev Set is awesome with my Diezels and Orange Dual Dark. I find that to be the case with any gear though. Cabs, speakers, pickups, etc. just need to be matched appropriately.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Fluff has a signature pickup now...

*First part of what I typed disappeared! I didn't hate the Ray guys sound, I thought it sounded ok, so I watched Fluffs video and HIS was what I was commenting about here:

Did not like his "clean' sound at all, and the distorted sound was terrible. I don't get it, was it just ultra shitty YouTube quality making it seem really really bad sounding?

Last edited:

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
Did not like his "clean' sound at all, and the distorted sound was terrible. I don't get it, was it just ultra shitty YouTube quality making it seem really really bad sounding?
I'm not a fan of Ray's tone generally, so I agree there (Ray's a great guy though).

My comment was about fluff getting another signature after his first signature set which he called Beard Combers (which he clearly didn't care about)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
*First part of what I typed disappeared! I didn't hate the Ray guys sound, I thought it sounded ok, so I watched Fluffs video and HIS was what I was commenting about here:

Fluff's video sounded similar. The pickup's high end is way rolled off and there's too much midrange.

I'm not a fan of Ray's tone generally, so I agree there (Ray's a great guy though).

My comment was about fluff getting another signature after his first signature set which he called Beard Combers (which he clearly didn't care about)

I almost bought one of those...They still sell them, too.

Hoss632

Reaction score
I personally don't think the new Fluff pick up sounds all that bad. But I will say voice 2 which is straight up Will Adler's voice 1 from his signature set sounds A LOT better than voice 1. Main reason I would consider fluff's pick up is souly so I can have the Will Adler voice with a black pick up since Will's set comes only in a worn gold type finish.

Hoss632

Reaction score

I'm with you. I think the Will Adler voice 1 is the best voice of any of the fishman stuff. 2nd favorite being voice 2 on the classics which is a hot rodded PAF. I'm still waiting for someone to finally demo a 6 string set of the Javier Reyes pups. I've heard them in 7 and 8 string and don't like em. Just curious how they sound in 6 string.

juka

Reaction score
I'm with you. I think the Will Adler voice 1 is the best voice of any of the fishman stuff. 2nd favorite being voice 2 on the classics which is a hot rodded PAF. I'm still waiting for someone to finally demo a 6 string set of the Javier Reyes pups. I've heard them in 7 and 8 string and don't like em. Just curious how they sound in 6 string.
Although you might consider most humbuckers that came after the original PAF as "hotrodded PAFs" in one way or the other, V2 of the classic bridge is actually voiced after an old (vintage?) JB owned by Frank Albo.
"Hotrodded" in Fishman's marketing context is the reminiscence to SD selling JB and Jazz as a set called "Hot Rodded Humbucker Set"

Hoss632

Reaction score
Although you might consider most humbuckers that came after the original PAF as "hotrodded PAFs" in one way or the other, V2 of the classic bridge is actually voiced after an old (vintage?) JB owned by Frank Albo.
"Hotrodded" in Fishman's marketing context is the reminiscence to SD selling JB and Jazz as a set called "Hot Rodded Humbucker Set"
Ah I did not know that. Would explain why I like that tone a lot as I love the JB.

juka

Reaction score

Great to see that all those long rumored custom series start to roll out finally.
Although the McR are still only on "preorder" status on their homepage.
Nothing too spectacular -as long announced- just open core classics in a custom color with a slightly modernized V3 (probably just taken from the Abasis?). So you might ask what the hell took them so long? Getting the purple right or what?

What actually stroke me is when you compare the spec sheets, although V1 and V2 should be exactly the same as in the open core classics at least the peak freqs are not the same?! Don't they know there shit or did they revise V1 and 2 on the classics without mentioning?!

Hoss632

Reaction score
I'm curious. If folks in here could voice their own fishman sets what would you do? For me Bridge would straight up be Will Adler Voice 1 as my main voice 1 tone as well, so it'd have the pole pieces. Voice 2 would probably be a variation of the Tosin abasi voice 1, voice 3 a single coil. Neck probably just the Modern or Tosin abasi v1. V2 I would do like the voice as if the coils were in parallel, then v2 a split coil tone.

Hoss632

Reaction score

Great to see that all those long rumored custom series start to roll out finally.
Although the McR are still only on "preorder" status on their homepage.
Nothing too spectacular -as long announced- just open core classics in a custom color with a slightly modernized V3 (probably just taken from the Abasis?). So you might ask what the hell took them so long? Getting the purple right or what?

What actually stroke me is when you compare the spec sheets, although V1 and V2 should be exactly the same as in the open core classics at least the peak freqs are not the same?! Don't they know there shit or did they revise V1 and 2 on the classics without mentioning?!
Who knows. They say that Matt Heafy's custom set is just moderns with a split coil added, but his set definitely sound like they have much more low end to them than the standard modern set do. Just my opinions though.

juka

Reaction score
I'm curious. If folks in here could voice their own fishman sets what would you do? For me Bridge would straight up be Will Adler Voice 1 as my main voice 1 tone as well, so it'd have the pole pieces. Voice 2 would probably be a variation of the Tosin abasi voice 1, voice 3 a single coil. Neck probably just the Modern or Tosin abasi v1. V2 I would do like the voice as if the coils were in parallel, then v2 a split coil tone.
Yes, it would be great if "ordinary customers" could mix and match existing voices like the artists in the Fluence custom line. But personally I would be much more exited about new voices modeled after other highly popular pickups. So after the PAF, JB,... maybe the various Van Halen pups or certain BKPs everybody is raving about.

Latest posts

')