The Fishman Fluence Thread

Hoss632

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to put a set into a Charvel DK24 HH? I've been considering a set of Classics for mine, but I've never used any active pickups before and am not really sure if there's room for the batteries/tech or if there are any issues to watch out for with this guitar.

Also this guitar has a mini switch on it, and I'm on the fence about how to wire it. Maybe the split/voice 3 on the switch and a push/pull for voice 1 and 2.
Joe Satchel has classics in his San dimas sig, and charvel also has classics in the So-Cal style 2. If it were me I'd do voice 1 and 2 on the mini switch, but that's because I personally think voice 2 on the classics is the better one, so I'd prefer to easily be able to get to it on the toggle, and have the coil split on the push/pull.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DEUCE SLUICE

Reaction score
Getting close to finally installing the Keith Merrow set into my RG752FX, debating how to wire it. Should I go:

* 5-way switch (neck hum, neck single, both hum, both single, bridge hum) with p/p voice on volume and p/p HF tilt on tone
* 3-way switch with p/p coil tap on volume and p/p voice on tone
* Something else??

I feel like if I *really* wanted that bridge single coil sound I'd be grabbing my AZ anyways.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
Anyone else have experience with the Will Adler set? I put them in a guitar a few weeks ago, and I don't know if its just me, but it they have WAY too much low end. Like, almost unusable on voice 1. My other guitar has the Townsend set in them and they are perfect, and based off what few sound demos I could find for the Adlers, they always sounded like they had just a little bit more low end, not the ridiculous amount that is actually coming out. Even through my Mark IV with a tubescreamer in front, there's just too much bass.

Anyone else have this experience?

juka

Reaction score
Getting close to finally installing the Keith Merrow set into my RG752FX, debating how to wire it. Should I go:

* 5-way switch (neck hum, neck single, both hum, both single, bridge hum) with p/p voice on volume and p/p HF tilt on tone
* 3-way switch with p/p coil tap on volume and p/p voice on tone
* Something else??

I feel like if I *really* wanted that bridge single coil sound I'd be grabbing my AZ anyways.
Why not use the 5way for hum-single-both single-single-hum?
I really like the sound of the bridge V3/SC way more than the sound of both Humbuckers in the middle with my KM sets.

juka

Reaction score
Anyone else have experience with the Will Adler set? I put them in a guitar a few weeks ago, and I don't know if its just me, but it they have WAY too much low end. Like, almost unusable on voice 1. My other guitar has the Townsend set in them and they are perfect, and based off what few sound demos I could find for the Adlers, they always sounded like they had just a little bit more low end, not the ridiculous amount that is actually coming out. Even through my Mark IV with a tubescreamer in front, there's just too much bass.

Have you played around with pup height (especially on the bass side) to compensate for that?

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
About the pull the trigger on a set but I'm getting confused by all the wiring possibilities, and some being described only for one set and not for the other.

If I understand correctly, the voices are activated by grounding the corresponding cables, correct? Voice 1 being "nothing grounded", Voice 2 being "Voice 2 to ground" and Split being "Coil tap to ground" -overwriting the voice 2 setting- ?

(I would like to wire a Townsend set with a PP Volume and PP Tone and install it similarly to the 3rd wiring option suggested for the Abasi set but it isn't in the recommended wiring schemes).

Warmart

Reaction score

I have them in a PRS 594 with the opposite problem :lol:, mine are really bright and I have to be choosy with the Kemper rig and liberal on tone knob reduction. Funny how different guitars affect pu's, though height, rig and personal hearing all play a part.

Warmart

Reaction score
About the pull the trigger on a set but I'm getting confused by all the wiring possibilities, and some being described only for one set and not for the other.

If I understand correctly, the voices are activated by grounding the corresponding cables, correct? Voice 1 being "nothing grounded", Voice 2 being "Voice 2 to ground" and Split being "Coil tap to ground" -overwriting the voice 2 setting- ?

(I would like to wire a Townsend set with a PP Volume and PP Tone and install it similarly to the 3rd wiring option suggested for the Abasi set but it isn't in the recommended wiring schemes).
Sounds correct! They are a bit confusing, just go slow.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
Have you played around with pup height (especially on the bass side) to compensate for that?
Yeah I feel like I have them set pretty low but maybe not low enough lol

I have them in a PRS 594 with the opposite problem :lol:, mine are really bright and I have to be choosy with the Kemper rig and liberal on tone knob reduction. Funny how different guitars affect pu's, though height, rig and personal hearing all play a part.
They definitely have a brightness that the Townsend set doesn't have, but that muddy low end just completely overpowers everything else. Voice 2 has like no low end. Maybe they just don't work for the guitar they're in(Ltd PS-1000). Its just every sound sample I've heard make them sound super tight, and mine are anything but.

Warmart

Reaction score
Yeah I feel like I have them set pretty low but maybe not low enough lol

They definitely have a brightness that the Townsend set doesn't have, but that muddy low end just completely overpowers everything else. Voice 2 has like no low end. Maybe they just don't work for the guitar they're in(Ltd PS-1000). Its just every sound sample I've heard make them sound super tight, and mine are anything but.
Definitely lower them way more, the whole way down at first. Then see what you think? Could of course be the guitar!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Surprised it took like 5 years. :lol:
But yeah I guess this means a sig model is on the way

juka

Reaction score

Surprised it took like 5 years. :lol:
But yeah I guess this means a sig model is on the way
If I remember correctly back then there were rumors about Moderns with red plastic covers. According to recent Fishman language that would qualify them as a "custom set"(?).

Not sure if he actually uses V3 in his music, but maybe he gets sort of a Mat Heafy Set in red?

Always hoping for new colors in the Fluence line :)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If I remember correctly back then there were rumors about Moderns with red plastic covers. According to recent Fishman language that would qualify them as a "custom set"(?).

Not sure if he actually uses V3 in his music, but maybe he gets sort of a Mat Heafy Set in red?

Always hoping for new colors in the Fluence line :)
I think I remember reading an interview where he talked about using Moderns with a slightly tweaked voice

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Found a Townsend set locally new in box for 200€. Here we go i guess 😂

They can't be worse than what I currently have and I'm a sucker for everything Devin so i am excited!

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
Found a Townsend set locally new in box for 200€. Here we go i guess 😂

They can't be worse than what I currently have and I'm a sucker for everything Devin so i am excited!
Those are currently my favorite pickups

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Kind of irks me that the Modern 9 string pups have a single coil voice while the 8 strings don't or at least don't list it on the website.

TheSomberlain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck using Moderns with Diezel amps? I just got an LTD SN-1000 that came stock with Moderns and I had every intention to swap with a spare Dev set I have laying around because I wrote the Moderns off a long time ago. I took the guitar for a spin with some of my amps and thought for sure I was going to swap them until I tried the Moderns on my Hagen and Herbert. I was so blown away by them. The signature dark tone of Diezels seemed to tame the annoying quirks of the Moderns. The Hagen was the only amp I hated the Dev set with so maybe I'm not losing my mind.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
^I think you are on to something.

I use the Herbert models in my Axe FX quite often and I'm running a guitar with EMG 60X pickups in it. Less midrange and more treble than an 81, but still has a bump in the mids. Without changing any deep parameters on the models, I get a broader range of useable tones with a pre-EQ than many other amp models in the Axe. The 'Berts are more friendly to having higher mids and trebles than others going in it seems. Haven't tried with the VH4 much.

In fact, one of the best Herbert demos I've seen on YT is a guy that has a Tele plugged in for part of it. The bright guitar seems to work excellent with the Herbert.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Once again, using modeling bc I can't afford real Diezels but the BX plugins of the Herbert and VH4 love fluences. Modern V2 into the Herbert is OSDM heaven and modern V1 into the VH4 is crunchy as fuck. Really sharpens up the smoothness of both amps and gives them the drive they need to get tight and cutting.

They do the same to Rectos if I remember correctly

TheSomberlain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Once again, using modeling bc I can't afford real Diezels but the BX plugins of the Herbert and VH4 love fluences. Modern V2 into the Herbert is OSDM heaven and modern V1 into the VH4 is crunchy as fuck. Really sharpens up the smoothness of both amps and gives them the drive they need to get tight and cutting.

They do the same to Rectos if I remember
The Deep knob on Diezels can be really tricky. I've not been able to crank it past noon with most pickups before I lose clarity; actives or passives. I think the faults that the Moderns are usually accused of (anemic, thin, too middy) are actually aiding me with the Diezels. Still don't like them with my Oranges, Marshall, or 5150 amps.

Latest posts

')