The Fishman Fluence Thread

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mick makes it sound like they went in there and redesigned the fuck out of the pickup... But it sounds like a standard Modern to me? lol
Yeah, talking about all the tweaking he did, his "unique magnet combo"

...and it just sounds like a Modern?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah, talking about all the tweaking he did, his "unique magnet combo"

...and it just sounds like a Modern?
Reminds me of the RZK set. Dude spent 5+ years on the road and in the studios with them to test and tweak them. And they're just allegedly a Modern set with screw polepieces?

The Fluence lineup is really stagnating. Just rebadged of the Classic and Modern sets. The Fluff pickup sucks IMO but at least it tried something different.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Reminds me of the RZK set. Dude spent 5+ years on the road and in the studios with them to test and tweak them. And they're just allegedly a Modern set with screw polepieces?

The Fluence lineup is really stagnating. Just rebadged of the Classic and Modern sets. The Fluff pickup sucks IMO but at least it tried something different.
Drives me nuts that they'll rehash the Modern a million times, but not actually tell you what's different. I still have no idea what sets the RZK and the Townsends apart outside of one being available in red. The tech has so much potential and it's being really underutilized. Their most compelling products are the Classics (mmm bridge voice 2), the Devin Townsends for their versatility, and the Willie Adlers for their ch0nk. I dig the Tosins too but they still have that Modern quack and brightness, just less obnoxious thanks to actually having bass and low mids.

That aside, I just wish they had more colors available. If I could get the Devins in, like... white or at least nickel, they'd have more of my money.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
I love the Fishman KSEs, but they only make them for 6 strings. Would love to have them for 7s and 8s too.

What would be the most similar Fluence model in 7 and 8 strings?

elkoki

Reaction score
Don’t know why but Jim and Mick’s pickups never caught my attention .. I like Slipknot as a band though , I guess I feel their pickups would be limited to one style only , aggressive chug. They hardly play leads or clean so I can’t imagine their pickups would be that dynamic or very versatile, that’s not too exciting imo .
Nothing really sounds special or unique about them in that clip… can probably achieve the same or similar sound using an emg 81 / fluence modern

elkoki

Reaction score
I love the Fishman KSEs, but they only make them for 6 strings. Would love to have them for 7s and 8s too.

KSE’s are basically tweaked moderns with a bit less bass and more treble / highs .

Have you tried moderns?

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
KSE’s are basically tweaked moderns with a bit less bass and more treble / highs .

Have you tried moderns?
Yea I had them in my Aristides 060. Didn't like them at all. Though... they were in an Aristides, which can sound really different than your standard wooden guitars. I knew the KSE's were just tweaked moderns, but to me they made all the difference. Wish I could have that exact pickup in a 7 and 8.

elkoki

Reaction score
Yea I had them in my Aristides 060. Didn't like them at all. Though... they were in an Aristides, which can sound really different than your standard wooden guitars. I knew the KSE's were just tweaked moderns, but to me they made all the difference. Wish I could have that exact pickup in a 7 and 8.
Yeah could've been the guitar.. I know some people don't believe in tone wood.. but whatever the case I do believe the same pickups can sound different in different guitars.... First time I ever tried Moderns it was in an ash bodied Schecter SLS 7 string... They sounded awful to me , harsh, brittle... took them out placed them in a mahogany C7 Schecter.. Night and day difference, the tone was WAY better to my ears.. Instead of saying "it's because of the wood" and pissing people off, i'll just say they were different guitars, and they sounded different whatever those reasons were. So yeah.. don't judge Moderns based on that one experience, results vary

sell2792

Reaction score

I’ve been thinking the same thing for years. Based on their description and reviews, it seems like the KSE’s would be the perfect iteration of the Moderns for a seven string. All the perks of them with tighter low end and a third voice, which Moderns didn’t have for some time.

I may still throw the six string (only) KSEs in my Edwards that currently has EMGs in it. It’s either that, Adlers, or I both and I add actives to another LP too. My only other issue is the finishes both models come in. I wish they had basic nickel or preferably aged or brushed nickel finishes for both.

the EMTY's sounded way better, these arent it man.

I’m just curious why you think that. I thought the recent MT demos sucked too but I have mixed feelings on the EMTYs. They had stellar reviews and seemed like the best version of the Blackouts. However, the handful of times I was able to try them in import MT Jackson Soloists I was very underwhelmed. I just received a guitar with a BO Loomis in the bridge and already I’m more impressed with it. Even through a 100w 5150 Stealth the EMTYs just seemed to lack balls? While the regular Blackouts always tended to be overly bassy, I never found them sounding weak - quite the opposite. I also loved how responsive they were to harmonics.

Ultimately, I’m looking for a hella chuggy pickup for my LP that can still do cleans in both the bridge and neck. Having the ability to do more “PAF” like tones would be a plus too which points me towards the Adlers. I think I could get over the finish options but I really wish these had a third, single coil voicing. For my new Agile I couldn’t care less about clean, at least in the bridge position. I just want the most aggressive active pickup possible so I can play ignorantly heavy music in drop G/F#/E. Blackout Metals are overkill so I’m thinking Fishman Abasi’s would at least afford me some versatility while being more unique than Moderns.

Steadybeheady

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m just curious why you think that. I thought the recent MT demos sucked too but I have mixed feelings on the EMTYs. They had stellar reviews and seemed like the best version of the Blackouts. However, the handful of times I was able to try them in import MT Jackson Soloists I was very underwhelmed. I just received a guitar with a BO Loomis in the bridge and already I’m more impressed with it. Even through a 100w 5150 Stealth the EMTYs just seemed to lack balls? While the regular Blackouts always tended to be overly bassy, I never found them sounding weak - quite the opposite. I also loved how responsive they were to harmonics.

Ultimately, I’m looking for a hella chuggy pickup for my LP that can still do cleans in both the bridge and neck. Having the ability to do more “PAF” like tones would be a plus too which points me towards the Adlers. I think I could get over the finish options but I really wish these had a third, single coil voicing. For my new Agile I couldn’t care less about clean, at least in the bridge position. I just want the most aggressive active pickup possible so I can play ignorantly heavy music in drop G/F#/E. Blackout Metals are overkill so I’m thinking Fishman Abasi’s would at least afford me some versatility while being more unique than Moderns.
Going off of what you said here, have you a comparison of the Blackout Metal (ahb2) and the EMTY? I’m using the ahb2 a few years now in my Hellraiser, thinking of going EMTY. Especially after this release and seeing that I am not replacing the Moderns in another guitar with the new Mick Fishmans.. (woohoo)

sell2792

Reaction score
Going off of what you said here, have you a comparison of the Blackout Metal (ahb2) and the EMTY? I’m using the ahb2 a few years now in my Hellraiser, thinking of going EMTY. Especially after this release and seeing that I am not replacing the Moderns in another guitar with the new Mick Fishmans.. (woohoo)
I’ve read up on them but I’ve never had a chance to try them out. I feel like they’d be excessively hot in the jumpered (unjumpered?) mode which wouldn’t be usable. I will definitely try to find some more videos though to be on the same side. Thanks for the suggestion!

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking the same thing for years. Based on their description and reviews, it seems like the KSE’s would be the perfect iteration of the Moderns for a seven string. All the perks of them with tighter low end and a third voice, which Moderns didn’t have for some time.

I may still throw the six string (only) KSEs in my Edwards that currently has EMGs in it. It’s either that, Adlers, or I both and I add actives to another LP too. My only other issue is the finishes both models come in. I wish they had basic nickel or preferably aged or brushed nickel finishes for both.

Adlers are available in Nickel and Black Nickel now..... im a fan of them both.

sell2792

Reaction score
Adlers are available in Nickel and Black Nickel now..... im a fan of them both.

I didn’t realize they expanded the finish options. Thanks for letting me know! Though, I think the nickel covers may be too shiny/new looking for the guitar they’d be going in. I can either try to age them myself or I’ll just keep an eye out for the original, aged gold finish where the gold is less prominent or at least more worn in from actual use.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn’t realize they expanded the finish options. Thanks for letting me know! Though, I think the nickel covers may be too shiny/new looking for the guitar they’d be going in. I can either try to age them myself or I’ll just keep an eye out for the original, aged gold finish where the gold is less prominent or at least more worn in from actual use.

The Black Nickels look classy AF. what color guitar are you wanting to put them in?

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score

I put the black nickels in my black cherry PRS Holcomb core, and am getting another set to put in my black JCustom RGA

sell2792

Reaction score
The Black Nickels look classy AF. what color guitar are you wanting to put them in?

Most likely I'd put Adler's in the guitar that's already equipped with EMG's. Though, I definitely play the other guitar more so it would be nice to upgrade it. I'm thinking I'll most likely just take the cover off the bridge pickup to go for a Jimmy Page vibe.. Either way, one of them will get (or keep) passives since the other set I'm interested in (KSE's) definitely won't work with either. I'd also be curious to know if I could do an Open Core Classic in the bridge and a "normal" Classic in the neck.

Attachments

• e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 6
  • e7.jpg
    e7.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Purelojik

Reaction score

For what you're wanting try the 57TW, its the bridge pickup i used in the most recent build i did for a friend of mine here on the forum @Legion . im gonna tag him so he can attest that it can chug and do cleans. My personal active preference for chug and clean bridge was the 60X as a bridge pup, its brighter but i still absolutely loved it in the bridge. its been a while since i've tried the 60x but the 57/66 combo is pretty great all rounder for my tastes. The build i was referring to is in the lutherie section in the top pinned thread for Builds by SSO members.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score

Responding to @Purelojik 's tag.

So funnily enough I've had a ton of experience with the EMTY's. I thought that the opposite: they had massive balls, pretty thick chugs and power chords in drop A sounded thick and juicy. This was in the older Jeff Loomis Scheckies that came with 707's stock. While I do love the 707, if you want thick and juicy, EMTYs are awesome.

But the 57 however....OOF.
I cannot for the life of me understand why EMG markets these as PAF type pickups, they're _insanely_ hot. Top end is a bit rolled off, bass is tight enough, lower midrange is HUUUUGE. The guitar is set up in B at the moment, and it absolutely excels at the wall-of-sound type tones. Think Devin Townsend. More than tight enough without even needing a boost. I'm very confident if I put in slightly heavier strings and go down to G it would still be more than fine with a tubescreamer or something. I installed an EMG RPC presence booster knob in the guitar just last night, and it really benefits from it: cranking the knob and turning the gain way down does a pretty convincing 70s-dad-rock-on-a-les-paul kinda tone. The split coil mode does very very nice cleans. With the RPC cranked and the pickup in single coil mode, I can basically nail the Mick Gordon Doom soundtrack style tone. I'd imagine that setting would take you even lower than G lol.

TL;DR: 57TW gud.

')