The Gibson fan club

• Thread starter Nag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xxvicarious

Reaction score
Gibsons are the only guitars I play on stage.... Actually,
the Gibson Explorer is the only guitar I play on stage haha.
Here's my main squeeze for Eb tuning: Late 90's Gibson
Explorer '58 Reissue.

The day I got it:

IMG-20120717-00262.jpg

The day AFTER I got it:
IMG-20120719-00272.jpg

Also, when I joined my band a year and a half ago, drummer's
brother was selling this 1990's Gibson Gothic Explorer. Been in
the paint shop for quite some time now getting a Silverburst
finish blasted on it. Going to look AWESOME with an ebony
fretboard and black hardware!

IMG951216-1.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
The instant I have enough money to buy a Les Paul Custom I'm going to get a wine red vintage.

IMAG0297.jpg

06 Flying v white

Gibson SG Special GOW #32 (I don't know wtf Gibson was thinking putting EMG's in an SG!) Thin body plus thin sounding pickups makes the guitar have no balls. The neck and playability is superb
IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

brynotherhino

Reformed Redneck
Reaction score
These arent technically mine, but they are currently living at my house and I play them a lot....

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg
:hbang::metal::wavey:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'll probably make my next purchase either an SG or an Explorer.

I played one yesterday when I was at Guitar Center and unfortunately it had strings that hadn't been changed since the dawn of time so it was tough to gauge as well as me being strapless but I did like the neck and forgot how the body shape works by going at the same angle your arm sits at when playing. I'll probably head up to Nashua tomorrow and see if they have some on the wall ones, or at least test drive an SG and see what I think.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
They're still going for like, minimum $1200 used with normal being around $1400 I believe, which is WAY more than I need; plus I'm fine with the look/feel of the standard series SGs.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Tried out a used SG standard today as well as a few other SGs and a LP, along with dozen other guitars and didn't like any of them. Sorry Gibson :(

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
When I bought my 61 reissue I played it along side two standards. That 61 really stood out to me as nicer than the standards. That 61 was used, and I got it for under a grand. I posted it a few pages ago in this thread. I really love it.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
When I bought my 61 reissue I played it along side two standards. That 61 really stood out to me as nicer than the standards. That 61 was used, and I got it for under a grand. I posted it a few pages ago in this thread. I really love it.

You dirty bastard! That's an amazing price. You won't buy a better guitar for that kind of money. Guaran-TEED!

And, I felt the same way as you. Didn't jive with the standard models (SG or LP)... picked the '61 up... sweet mother....

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The store I went to didn't have a 61 reissue IIRC, it was mainly standard and specials, with one 70s model that had mini-buckers and all the necks on them were just ridiculous thick and full; and not in the good way. My LP's neck profile was fine for thickness/profile but these were just bad.

Also, the one SG Standard I went down there to try had what appeared to be god damn PAINTED on binding :nuts: It didn't feel like binding and had a darker color than cream binding normally does, plus the FRET ENDS were the same color. How do you even fucking explain that?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The store I went to didn't have a 61 reissue IIRC, it was mainly standard and specials, with one 70s model that had mini-buckers and all the necks on them were just ridiculous thick and full; and not in the good way. My LP's neck profile was fine for thickness/profile but these were just bad.

Also, the one SG Standard I went down there to try had what appeared to be god damn PAINTED on binding :nuts: It didn't feel like binding and had a darker color than cream binding normally does, plus the FRET ENDS were the same color. How do you even fucking explain that?

Funny I just played a 70s tribute, 60s tribute, and a couple other Gibsons at GC last week and didn't mind the neck profiles at all :lol: Thought the 70s tribute felt like a great guitar, so much so that I'm considering grabbing a silverburst before they're gone...

Not a clue about that painted binding thing though, never seen anything like that

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Tom 1.0

Djizz.
Reaction score
The fret ends are bound? That is a Gibson trademark, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I had NEVER seen that on a single Gibson I've played in the past 6 years since I started, so my immediate reaction was shock and going "Uh, what the fuck is this?" To be honest, I think they clear coat over the potential binding that might actually be on the neck but what's on the fret ends looks like paint and that to me reeks of cheap. It also makes examining the ends and their quality a bit more difficult since you can't tell at a glance since there's no contrast compared to the rosewood/binding anymore - it's all the same color.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
I knew it would happen when I started this thread but my pants are getting a bit humid... I'm just such a Les Paul whore hahahahahaha

keep the stuff coming guys !

Latest posts

')