The Greatest Musicians your Area has to Offer

• Thread starter SerratedSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
So there was a thread posted about Suffocation, and how they've been bringing brutality to the game for the past 20 years. That really got me thinking. I realized they spawned out of Centereach, Long Island, and, well, fuck, that's a 15 minute drive from where I live! I started thinking about all the other greats that grew up right around the block, and I realized, that's a long mother fucking list!

Another thing that motivated me to start this thread is the fact that I work with Steve Vai's sister-in-law, Debra Vai. Debbie has honestly become such a good friend of mine, and is possibly the only 50+ year old woman I've met that can have a conversation about the history of heavy metal, and Ibanez guitars. Don't judge a book by it's cover, my friends. They might have direct ties to a legend!

Long Island carries a roster that ranges from the innovator of epic, Billy Joel (Fuck off if you think he's not one of the most epic musicians to ever exist), to the father of death metal, Chuck Schuldiner (Rest in Peace). We've got John Petrucci himself, and a whole list of other reasons why this forum fucking exists in the first place! Also, hip-hop was created 20 minutes away from me. We've got every good rapper ever... I could go on, but I'll leave that up to the rest of you.

So, basically, I want to know; Who grew up by you? I know not every great musician came from New York, so enlighten us! There's no age restriction, genre restriction, or anything like that. Let us know where your roots reside!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Switzerland =

(in the metal range of course)

GOTTHARD

SAMAEL

CELTIC FROST

SAXON

and also CHINA but I cant find any videos....

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
Roger Taylor
Aphex Twin
Also, my best mates dad is the guitarist for for Haircut 100

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Mike Oldfield

You win. In 15/8.

I went to the same secondary school as Mick Jagger, and now I live in north London, so I guess the "best" musician nearest to me is like, Amy Winehouse or something equally vacuous.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
Beyond This Day is one of the bands I like around here more. Also I think Mastadon is from this area if I'm not mistaken but I'm not a huge fan. Not too much going on here anymore besides hardcore which isn't my cup of tea.

Beyond This Day on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

:hbang:

There's some good scenes for other types of music though, such as the Rochester Philharmonic and Eastman School of Music.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
I'm not really into it but Stoner Rock was pretty much invented where I live. Kyuss, QOTSA all come from around Palm Desert, CA where I live now. But I'm moving to Akron, OH soon lol.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Buz McGrath
Adam D.
Rob Zombie
Godsmack
Dick Dale
Extreme (holy shit)

And a few others that aren't as awesome :cool:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I think we have some pretty epic fiddlers, possibly some country singers - but that's from the area, not my town (as far as i know).

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
Way to many to list, but for starters:

Jimi Hendrix
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Queensryche
Nevermore

I'm sure not all the guys in these bands are from here, but Seattle is where they got big at least.

-mouse-

Such a strange numb
Reaction score
The Faceless are from my hometown; Encino, California.

Unfortunately, where I live now, the biggest exports are the Killers and My Romantic Tragedy :noplease:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
You forgot my personal favorite group of Bostonians, THE RED CHORD!

Ya know, I always forget them, probably cause I don't listen to them very often but like a lot of people always mentioned "We've got the RED CHORD too!" :lol:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scar Symmetry and Peter Tägtgren (PAIN, Hypocrisy) live very close to me (and to each other... :p). Closest one is Mando Diao though. And the old Hagström factory :p

White Cluster

Gives Life Meaning
Reaction score
Fate Warning-I work and am good friends with the brother of ex-bassist Joe Dibiase.
Hatebreed-from New Haven which is 2 towns over from me.
John Mayer and I apparently shopped at the same music store.
Let us not forget Black Metal artist extrordinaire----Michael Bolton

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
Scar Symmetry and Peter Tägtgren (PAIN, Hypocrisy) live very close to me (and to each other... :p). Closest one is Mando Diao though. And the old Hagström factory :p

I envy you so much:noplease:

My grandmother was born in the Stockholm area, so I must revisit my roots before I die!

')