The Guitar Modelling Thread!

Knarbens

Montag Custom Guitars
Reaction score
I used to model a lot! It slowly went from full detailed polygon renderings to cad 3d files and now I only do 2d drawings and some photoshop mockups. I still "testbuild" my guitar bodies in 3d though! Here's some of my work:

combo_01.jpg

start2.jpg

custom_e.jpg

86R_06.jpg

gemina_mockup_amber.jpg

fanned_body_zpsda7d841f.png

09_carve_3dmodel_zpsaab629ac.png

volute.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

redstone

Reaction score
Great ! I'm PM'ing you my email in case you don't want to share it via 3dwarehouse.

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
the 8th fret will leave the 24th and nut to be on the same angle. 12th will make the nut and bridge have the same angle. I really don't find a 12th fan that bad at all, it all depends if your doing a 1 or 1.5" fan and with how many strings.

This is only correct when the nut and the bridge have the same string spacing, which is only correct on some classical guitars, but even then is very rare. With more conventional string spacing (2.125 @ bridge 1.375 @ nut) the bridge are more equal when the perpendicular fret location is closer to the 9th fret.

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
This is only correct when the nut and the bridge have the same string spacing, which is only correct on some classical guitars, but even then is very rare. With more conventional string spacing (2.125 @ bridge 1.375 @ nut) the bridge are more equal when the perpendicular fret location is closer to the 9th fret.

I tried some others out, and it within 5* of difference for a 25.5-26.5 6 string, but the 8 string I did had the exact same offset forits fan. Looks like it's more on a case by case sort of thing and not a rule.

redstone

Reaction score
In between the 10th and 11th fret if we include the saddles compensation.

vansinn

Reaction score
@ Knarbens and JuliusJahn: Which CAD are you using? (looks like SolidWorks/AutoCAD)

I'm using Inventor, and have access to the whole Autodesk suite, so I'm sometimes thinking I should get into SolidWorks as well, as it seems many are still using it (AutoCAD isn't even being taught anymore in dk technical schools).

Renkenstein

Reaction score
You guys are blowing my mind.

KNARBENS!!! Those renders are flippin sensational!!! You never cease to amaze me, my friend.

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
I tried some others out, and it within 5* of difference for a 25.5-26.5 6 string, but the 8 string I did had the exact same offset forits fan. Looks like it's more on a case by case sort of thing and not a rule.

you are exactly right! i was thinking six string numbers :lol: I was mostly trying to combat the notion that the 12th fret would be the perpendicular location when the bridge and nut are at mirrored opposing (isosceles?) angles. In the vast majority of cases with the bridge and nut mirroring eachothers' angles the perpendicular location is closer to the ninth fret because of the difference in string width between the bridge and the nut, regardless of the number of strings style of hardware etc.

rikomaru

Reaction score
This thread got me to attempt modeling for the first time. I've been messing with Blender for something like a week now and am in the process of trying to make a guitar with it. It's still VERY rough compared to most of the pics here, but i'm confident i'll become more proficient as I find tips and shortcuts. Thank SSO. :D

Attachments

• guitar checkpoint 1.png
    guitar checkpoint 1.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 66

MrTeatime

Reaction score
Help! :)
I bought an endurneck licence, I made all my plans for my neckthrough 25-26.5" 7 strings strandberg using Illustrator and FretFind2D, everything looks great and ready for my templates to be laser cut but now I have to deal with the endurneck...
I'm trying to stretch the provided .stl file to fit my fretboard and neck template but so far I've only managed to mess everything. I've tried Sketchup, Rhino3D and AutoCAD and got various bad results...
Can anyone help me please?
Thanks!

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
In the last 10 days Ive went from a Solidworks scrub who was trying to get a center line to a maestro who can do everything (and more) I could do in sketchup over a year. A lot of the mechanics transferred for sure, but it's so nice to have a proper UI and tools that can think for themselves.
m0l1ZWy.jpg

100 files and counting!
e6290dcda0.png

Reaction score
Started designing a headless guitar this weekend. Got a good start on the neck so far. Birds-eye maple neck with a quilted maple fingerboard.

yyCUpXo.jpg

yxcMwLg.jpg

')