The Guitar Modelling Thread!

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get standard poster size printed at lower quality/price?

Edit: to answer my own question, it looks like FedEx kinkos is pretty cheap after all. I had accidentally been looking at the "mounted" section.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

morgdav

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get standard poster size printed at lower quality/price?

Edit: to answer my own question, it looks like FedEx kinkos is pretty cheap after all. I had accidentally been looking at the "mounted" section.

Make sure you measure the resulting printout. I had a full-size print made at a local print shop and it was off by several millimeters over the length of the guitar. We double checked the PDF and all measurements were perfect so the printer just didn't have tight tolerances.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. In the worst case I suppose I can print to multiple sheets of printer paper and tape them together, but that seems a little error prone. With alignment markers in the overlap spaces it might not be too bad though.

FrznTek

Reaction score
I made these models just to see different color combos on Ormsby guitars.
their not fully flushed out. (no electronics routing, and the neck pocket isnt there, etc.)

FuturaGTR_CandyBlack_TransBlack_Green%20Fade_violetGrain__zpshg1lvfsz.jpg

HypeGTR_candyBetoMaple__zpslusrjiqq.jpg

gnroach

Reaction score
Help! :)
I bought an endurneck licence, I made all my plans for my neckthrough 25-26.5" 7 strings strandberg using Illustrator and FretFind2D, everything looks great and ready for my templates to be laser cut but now I have to deal with the endurneck...
I'm trying to stretch the provided .stl file to fit my fretboard and neck template but so far I've only managed to mess everything. I've tried Sketchup, Rhino3D and AutoCAD and got various bad results...
Can anyone help me please?
Thanks!

did you managed to make it?
opinion?

penguin_316

Reaction score
Biggest I've seen is 3'x4'. And that is like 60 dollars. The trouble is these print shops are doing high quality glossy color prints when I basically just want a big black and white laser print job on flat normal paper. I can't find anyone who does that though.

Better late than never, but any Office Depot can do that for you.

Lan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Haha it has! I was debating whether or not to resurrect this thread; but it was too interesting to pass up, for stumbling across it by chance 🙂

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Stumbling across these now, are most of you doing this as a guitar-building aid, or as an artform/hobby in itself?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Stumbling across these now, are most of you doing this as a guitar-building aid, or as an artform/hobby in itself?
Myself I've never gone into the pretty rendering and such, or even including/modelling the hardware. Very much an enjoyable hobby but I am intending to manufacture everything I model and only model as far as is necessary for that.
It's awesome to see finished renders though! Must be satisfying

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Its the first step in the cnc process for me, but it's also just how I play with a potential new design. I have a lot more modeled guitars (in various states of doneness) than I do built guitars.

Lan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I work in film, so I sometimes like to extend my work into the hobby space, and make things that interest me. I also teach CG at a film school as a side gig, so it's nice to have projects to explain concepts with. In this case, the strat was to explore how flamed maple works as a material :)

Latest posts

')