The Guitar Modelling Thread!

AwDeOh

Reaction score
Since we have a few talented 3D Modellers here, and plenty who'd like to learn, it's time for a modelling thread! Share what you're using, how you learnt, what you've modelled, what you want to know. Anything goes!

I'll try to keep this post and the next edited with cool info that comes up, perhaps a list of software, resources, tutorials and tips from SSO members.

---

As for myself, after OfArtAndArsenal posted a thread about the topic and Rhino 3D was recommended, I've started using the trial and I'm really impressed. My only experience is a little of SketchUp. Based on that, Rhino seems familiar, yet simplistically powerful. Really looking forward to seeing what I can do, not to mention any guitars SSO'ers have modelled with it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Well, I did model this in Maya:

RG6.jpg

RG7.jpg

And also this, which is a bit more accomplished, mostly wen it comes to the materials:

tele_neck.jpg

tele_body.jpg

I might try to get some better renders as soon as I get Maya re-installed again. Don't know when that'll be.

What did I learn? Well, modelling the heel and volutes was a lot easier once I learned that I could just take a torus, rotate it 90 degrees to vertical, delete the outside polygons and the lower half of the inner ones and then grab the vertices and move them lenghtwise until i was at the correct length. Then I'd shape the headstock, making sure i planned ahead for the next step, which was to make the neck taper, and THIS is where I think I really had a Heureka!-moment. Use a lattice to make the entire thing progressively scalable. Simple as hell, and I had been painstakingly vertex-manipulating for seventy-one eternities before I thought of this.

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
About time we had a thread dedicated to this! Been dying to try one of these programs, as I use a pencil and paper all the time. Any recommendations for a total noob?

psikoT

Reaction score
Found this video tutorial about modeling a guitar with Blender, not the technique I personally use, but it's a good start:

psikoT

Reaction score
About time we had a thread dedicated to this! Been dying to try one of these programs, as I use a pencil and paper all the time. Any recommendations for a total noob?

I use Adobe Illustrator for 2D drawing. I also use it to make all plans before build anything, so no 3d software is needed to build a guitar.

001.jpg

AwDeOh

Reaction score
^ Nice dude, love that effect of the Explorer going from wireframe to full rendered 3D.

I use Adobe Illustrator for 2D drawing. I also use it to make all plans before build anything, so no 3d software is needed to build a guitar.

So you could use Illustrator to make the 2D plans to the right scale, then import to Blender (or whatever you're using) to model/render it?

psikoT

Reaction score
So you could use Illustrator to make the 2D plans to the right scale, then import to Blender (or whatever you're using) to model/render it?

Yes, you can import a vector plan and use it as a basis.

Well, I use Illustrator to make plans of real builds, no 3D needed to make a guitar, although it would be useful if you're creating some concept, like in the above images.

AwDeOh

Reaction score
I'm gonna try figure it out parallel to Rhino.

I had a play last night and managed to get a 4 window interface (by splitting windows) that I'm comfortable with, just need to find out if I can have top/front/right perspectives forced and not 3D, like a regular CAD layout.

psikoT

Reaction score
I had a play last night and managed to get a 4 window interface (by splitting windows) that I'm comfortable with, just need to find out if I can have top/front/right perspectives forced and not 3D, like a regular CAD layout.

You mean in Blender? To switch from 4 views to one, place the cursor over the viewport and press Cmd+Alt+Q. With the num pad you can switch quickly from different views:

1 - Front
3 - Left
7 - Top
5 - switch from orthographic to perspective

Also, in the bottom of each window you have all needed menus and tools, specific for each window.

hope it helps

AwDeOh

Reaction score
You mean in Blender? To switch from 4 views to one, place the cursor over the viewport and press Cmd+Alt+Q. With the num pad you can switch quickly from different views:

1 - Front
3 - Left
7 - Top
5 - switch from orthographic to perspective

Also, in the bottom of each window you have all needed menus and tools, specific for each window.

hope it helps

The CTRL+ALT+Q command works great, exactly what I wanted after I changed the Ortho window to Perspective. Thank you!

Now, I've been trying to work out how to close down all the toolbars that I don't need - stuff like the animation timeline, Render/Dimensions/AA etc. Can those be turned off, leaving me with the 4 window view and the basic modelling tools, like Rhino? I took to Rhino and Sketchup because they were alot simpler, so I kinda need Blender.. 'dumbed down' for me :D

EDIT: Hmm.. never mind. I had an 'outside the box' thought and figured I might go through the basic tutorials on the Blender site. :lol:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I'm gonna try figure it out parallel to Rhino.

I think what you're asking has already been answered, but I always just CTRL + TAB cycle through the four views in one maximized pane.

My preference to Rhino (or another CAD based modeler) is the ease of getting plans out of it and going to or from a dimensioned drawing, or using it to potentially program CNC machines. While quite fun, I don't think - as a builder mind - that there is a ton of point to using actual renders for anything.

AwDeOh

Reaction score
My preference to Rhino (or another CAD based modeler) is the ease of getting plans out of it and going to or from a dimensioned drawing, or using it to potentially program CNC machines. While quite fun, I don't think - as a builder mind - that there is a ton of point to using actual renders for anything.

I agree from the building perspective, but I'm also keen to visualize guitar concepts to see how they look, and eventually have the available to customers. Between all the different render engines, it seems like photo realistic rendering won't be a problem.

TBH I'm finding Rhino way easier than Blender, it just makes sense to me, so I'm gonna stick with it.

')