The HAARP Machine Megathread

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
This thread. It delivers. :lol:

Yes, I am sure he can play all that with utmost perfection and that evil aliens forced him to record the parts slowed down / doctored lest the band members had an anal probe inserted in them. Or not.

I don't know whether he can play the parts accurately or not, and that to me is not relevant as far as album production is concerned. Heck, I've been hired to be a ghost player for many artists that couldn't get their chops up to "studio level" quite a few times, so it's hardly surprising to see editing stunts used to elevate parts to machine-like, impossible perfection. If that's what they want as the album sound, I'm cool with that.

Live, however, people pay good money to see you, and I'd be rather disappointed if he was to use the BT not to complement but to serve as a "non-screwed up part" due to not being able to pull off one's own part with a minimum of consistency. Time will tell, I'm sure.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StewartEhoff

Reaction score
Seems a bit odd for Sumerian to back this in such a defensive way. Kind of goes against everything I thought the label represented, really.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Hey guys - I heard this thread is riveting so I figured I'd pay it a visit. I brought salsa and chips too - help yourselves!

:kicks up feet and watches thread:

CyborgSlunk

Reaction score
This is maybe just PR and everything was done with Guitar Pro? Certainly sounds like it. Maybe on the album there´s the real guitar? That would be awesome.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Yes. Makes perfect sense to display your inhuman Guitar Pro chops to attract the masses, so you can be confronted with how obviously doctored the tracks are, only to show up later and say "it was a joke, guys - the real playing is there", which means the "studio update" is a load of bull. That is immensely farfetched, and would be shooting themselves in the foot quite ostensively!

I for one am not pleased with the Strandberg thing as it fails to demo the instrument for what it is - and it's quite awesome - and makes the emphasis go from the guitar to the doctored stuff going on in there. I'd think Ola deserved far more consideration, as would people who are into the band and / or .strandberg*, but that's just my opinion. :shrug:

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Haha now I'm interested in these dark secrets! Whether or not the videos are faked doesn't really matter to me, but when it comes time to show and prove, that's when it matters. Faking your playing is the musical equivalent of stuffing your pants to exaggerate your package.

CyborgSlunk

Reaction score
Yes. Makes perfect sense to display your inhuman Guitar Pro chops to attract the masses, so you can be confronted with how obviously doctored the tracks are, only to show up later and say "it was a joke, guys - the real playing is there", which means the "studio update" is a load of bull. That is immensely farfetched, and would be shooting themselves in the foot quite ostensively!

I for one am not pleased with the Strandberg thing as it fails to demo the instrument for what it is - and it's quite awesome - and makes the emphasis go from the guitar to the doctored stuff going on in there. I'd think Ola deserved far more consideration, as would people who are into the band and / or .strandberg*, but that's just my opinion. :shrug:

Every PR is good PR. I bet many people now know Strandberg.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I maintain that you can do whatever you damn well please when producing a record, so I'm not playing the "fake and gay" card just yet, but I'd be lying if I was to say I didn't it incredibly odd to see a supposed guitar demo featuring the sort of track it did, not to mention the hilarious "cyber-trem-picking" featuring a convenient shot of Al from the back so the picking hand isn't really visible for the most part.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Sooooooo, am I the only one who thinks Mike is a horrible fit for this band? His vocals in Pledian Keys just sounded way too similar to bands like Three Days Grace and all imo. He sounds incredible and completely original in stuff like Terra Firma and everything with Vestascension though.

I think the old vocalist was awesome. I think they should've found someone else with his style. :shrug:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I love the new guy.. clean vocals without him jumping all over the place constantly. They fit the song way better than the shred-wank-except-vocals stuff some other guys are doing

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Sooooooo, am I the only one who thinks Mike is a horrible fit for this band? His vocals in Pledian Keys just sounded way too similar to bands like Three Days Grace and all imo. He sounds incredible and completely original in stuff like Terra Firma and everything with Vestascension though.

I think the old vocalist was awesome. I think they should've found someone else with his style. :shrug:

What? Mike is in the band now? I really hope what you're saying isn't true about his vocals as he is probably my favorite singer of the "scene".:eek:

Equivoke

dickbut
Reaction score
I guess this probably belongs here. I'll have to watch it later on though

Maniacal

Reaction score
Is there an unwritten law to wear sunglasses during an interview if you are in a metal band?

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
That's a really cool design. Also, Ola is an absolute genius.

As far as this whole controversy with Al Mu'min goes, I think if Ola is willing to work so closely with him and if Sumerian loves his music enough to sign him with almost no publicity already, he's a good enough guitarist to deserve respect. And if he's not that great of a guitarist, oh well. He's a phenomenal songwriter. And I'm sure he'll get better. Most of us haven't even seen him play live yet so we should judge then, or at the very least, when his band's album actually comes out :lol:

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Yup the Varberg is amazing! Instantly I changed my wait-list guitar to one upon learning about it. Ola is the man & knows his stuff better than anyone I have ever met in the luthier business.
-Brent

JoeyW

Reaction score
For some reason the part where he's playing the styrophone neck made me shoot tea out of my nose. The guy's a great composer and this video shows him actually playing, he seems like a good player.

IronGoliath

Reaction score
The amount of LOLs I had reading the last few pages is incomprehensible. Moving on.

I can't believe the beauty and practicality Ola has achieved. I would love to try one of those Varbergs one day soon - they look marvellous and sound great to boot!

')