The HAARP Machine Megathread

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
If I ever get to see The HAARP Machine, I will definitely (and maybe unfairly?) be watching Al Mu'min a bit closer than I otherwise would have.

On a side note, it's interesting to see how this is developing. On one hand, we have a new guitarist on the scene, defending himself and making claims the average person can't substantiate. On the other, we have a few other guitarists with established reputations saying something else, half-hearsay and again, something we can't substantiate.

Who is right? Who is wrong? Is anyone right or wrong? Is Superman a lame character? Some questions have no answers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Ahhh, we have a response. It just keeps getting better. Can you guys delay this album and start using another "controversial" technique to keep this going as long as possible?

063_givotnie_33.jpg

Can't wait for the album, btw. :hbang:

Reaction score
I think my hippie side just kind of came out a little earlier there. (Sorry guys.....Peace, man!)

This thread is making my balls itch...

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
im pretty sure im the only one on SSO who was never blown away by anything by the HAARP machine:shrug:
You're not the only one. I think it's good but I'm not too much into the almost mechanical sound of the riffs and songs. I like a little slop to it and kind of a "it's okay if you get some color outisde the lines" type of sound. When everything is so tight that it sounds like someone is turning a mute button on and off fast as shit, it starts losing it's human aspect to me. I don't want to listen to music and feel like it was created by computers or lacks emotion because of that. Just my opinion of course. I think the technology is interesting but not my cup of tea.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
It's funny that conspiracy theories are surrounding a guy who is hugely invested in conspiracy theories who also plays in a band named after a conspiracy. :)

My only opinion on this matter is that the people that tend to alter their music in order to make it sound better/tighter/cleaner will almost always be the people who talk negatively on how manufactured pop music is. Ironic. :)

Anyway, thus far The HAARP Machine isn't really my thing, but I'm definitely going to pick up a copy to give it a listen.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
This got obnoxiously drawn out, thanks for clearing the air Al although I was hoping that would end. But there are people who want full disclosure (see what I did there?), but who the fuck even cares? This is the most pointless argument I've ever heard of, if that demonstration didn't showcase the Strandberg, do you think Ola would have allowed it to be openly displayed on the internet?

Apparently, that was the guitar that you hear on the demo it doesn't matter if it was doctored or made to sound as clean as possible. It's still the guitar in question being demo'd and played, the point here is that if someone were that clean naturally when playing and played the same demo, it would be alright then?

It's a method of recording, this is as trivial as people debating whether a hairtie around the neck of the guitar is cheating or not. Then they realize Guthrie uses one, and so does Luke from Protest, then it automatically becomes alright to use one. :rolleyes: Techniques to sound good in the studio is fair game, it's just that, a technique. Worry about your own music, because if anyone has to reap the consequences of any of this, it's The HAARP Machine. And we'll all bear witness to that in due time.

Drop the argument, it's pointless and people are using it as an attempt to jump on either side A, or side B. Both looking like idiots.

Onegunsolution

Brown man
Reaction score
Mother of god, :eek: I thought I'd stroll through this thread discussin the tasty jams made by these guys and -> :scream: & :realmad: & :mad: <- is all that seems to be goin on. :ugh: ah well, can't wait for the album is all I can say haha :lol:

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
This got obnoxiously drawn out, thanks for clearing the air Al although I was hoping that would end. But there are people who want full disclosure (see what I did there?), but who the fuck even cares? This is the most pointless argument I've ever heard of, if that demonstration didn't showcase the Strandberg, do you think Ola would have allowed it to be openly displayed on the internet?

Apparently, that was the guitar that you hear on the demo it doesn't matter if it was doctored or made to sound as clean as possible. It's still the guitar in question being demo'd and played, the point here is that if someone were that clean naturally when playing and played the same demo, it would be alright then?

It's a method of recording, this is as trivial as people debating whether a hairtie around the neck of the guitar is cheating or not. Then they realize Guthrie uses one, and so does Luke from Protest, then it automatically becomes alright to use one. :rolleyes: Techniques to sound good in the studio is fair game, it's just that, a technique. Worry about your own music, because if anyone has to reap the consequences of any of this, it's The HAARP Machine. And we'll all bear witness to that in due time.

Drop the argument, it's pointless and people are using it as an attempt to jump on either side A, or side B. Both looking like idiots.

QFMFT :yesway:

I cant friggin wait for this album to come out. AAL's self-titled was my favorite release of the past five years and listening to HAARPs stuff gave me the same insta-goosebumps. Over-processed or whatever, the way that digitaly-recorded info played through speakers manipulates the air molecules in my general area is fanfuggintastic, and I'll be picking up a copy SON.

Kro497

Ethnomusicologist
Reaction score
Whoa, this was intense. Several great guitarists getting into it...bummed me out a touch. :(

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Dirty laundry vented. Look it's a different game now a days as far as recording, guitar, drums, production etc is concerned. 10 years ago 98% of us wouldn't have been able to do half of the things we can do now. As far as recording, engineering, mixing, mastering or even releasing our music.
It's weird, when I listen to an old analog recording put straight to vinyl like Pink Floyd's wish you were here...there is this amazing warmth & clarity to it that cannot be duplicated. Once everything went digital we sort of lost that, & everything was so-so at very best for a long time...but then came an era in recent history of unreal digital enhancements. The axe-fx, logic, vst's by the billions, melodyne, superior drummer, dozens of companies making readily available extended range instruments...& now EVERYONE (within a modest budget) can do it themselves (bypassing the recording studio & record label), & by doing this, what we have found is that there are "little tricks" to sonically enhance &/or tighten sounds beyond ever imaginable. Some get super judgmental over it, others just recognize it as part of a sign of the times. The first time I heard a Joey Sturgis record I was like "HOLY MOLY", it was HUGE, bass drops everywhere, machine gun kick drums, chain saw guitars, uber pressent pitch perfect vocals etc...now how did he achieve those tones? I found out...replacing every drum & cymbal hit, extensively layering through a D.I. amp simulator, a lot of re-amping, extensive pro-tools clean & a crap-load of vst(s) with hardly any outboard gear/hardware. Snap! Got qualms with it? Yeah sort of...but that is my own issue.
So I think what I am getting at is, when we buy records, we want them to be worth the money because we are musicians, no one is rolling in the green here. We want those records to raise hairs & enthrall us. So let's stop judging what little extras we add to or subtract from our mixes to make it sonically spot on & start listening/or not... because we like the music.
While I think all the drama on this thread has gone far enough I will say this, a very wise thing was stated somewhere within this thread...the truth will come out. If you employ too many studio tricks & can't play your stuff, people will find out. You know why Devin Townsend is still where he is after all these years, even with his music getting progressively more taxing vocally & technically much more complicated? The guy puts in the hours & pulls it off live. Amen.
So in closing, Increase the peace & tune it LOW! :hbang:
-Brent

')