The HAARP Machine Megathread

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I understand where 307534854numbernumbersnumbered
is coming from, and Alpenglow I also am a MM fan and although
the only album I am familiar with is We Were Dead I do love the lyrics.
And yes, CoCa allows me to deliver some coy references hehe

Anyone know what gear Al is using by the way?
I'm not sure if those Gibsons are his or what amp he was using
in the tracking videos but I'm sure someone here can shed some light

In the Varberg video, he said he used that to track leads and some rhythms on the album.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
This album is good.

However, the use of artificial ethnic instruments sounds very gimmicky, the production sounds too much like Guitar Pro and The Faceless influence is a little too heavy.

Scrubface05

Reaction score
Hmmm.. you say artificial, I remember seeing somewhere else that Al'Mumin actually played some of the M.E. instruments. I know for a fact he plays a real Sitar and a real Koto.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Doesn't negate my point, artificial or no they still sound gimmicky to me :shrug:

I still enjoy the album, it just taints my enjoyment.

Scrubface05

Reaction score
Gimmicky? How so?

I mean, the main composer is middle eastern, it makes sense haha.

Scrubface05

Reaction score
I know I know, I'm just curious why he thinks so.
Relax man, not trying to start anything.
I like talking about peoples opinions on things.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Over-used and off-kilter with the machine gun guitars. In places it fits, in others it doesn't. Just my opinion.

Scrubface05

Reaction score
That's what I wanted to hear :)
I get where you're coming from, can definitely see it.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
You know whats weird? When The Escapist Notion came out with the old singer, I was really digging it. Now that I have the whole album, I think it's probably the weakest track (Not saying it's bad though).

I seriously cannot say enough good things about this album. It's just superb in every way.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Gimmicky? How so?

I mean, the main composer is middle eastern, it makes sense haha.

The guy is British though. Maybe he is of middle eastern descent, but he lives in the UK and speaks like a British person. Just saying.

kcyrowolf

Reaction score

He pretty much tracked with the Gibsons and, as mentioned in the .strandberg* video, he went back and rerecorded a load of lead parts using his new Varberg, all through the Axe FX.

As far as live, I have seen Al use different gear on the two different times I have seen them in the UK. On their first ever show supporting Animals As Leaders, he was playing an urban camo ESP MII through a Peavy 5150 and Zilla cab. The second time (on their brief UK tour with Decapitated/Aborted) he happened to be playing an Aura guitar through a 5150III half stack (though I got the impression from him that he was using a number of guitars on tour, including the .strandberg* #16 he was borrowing). He did confirm to me that he will be using the Axe FX exclusively from now on as well (surprise surprise).

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
These lyrics are in no way profound or impressive imo...It's the same tired rhetoric that's been spewed for awhile now. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the message, political themes just seem too easy to base an entire album around.
Other than that, this album's flawless
Pretty much this. I'm looking through a lot of the lyrics now, and while I see the point, and the message (very clearly in fact), there is little poetry in their words. When I listen to VoM lyrics, I see a lot of the same ideas of "being freed" but they have lyrics that are more poetic and memorable. IMO the rest of the album sounds good, if not a little bit too much like guitar pro for my taste. Can't wait to get to the bottom of how ever many rumours are floating around though. Nonetheless, it's all relatively enjoyable.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score

He said he uses an Axe-Fx Ultra but wether thats for jamming/live/recording I don't know.

Machine over is probably my favorite song at the moment. I find it hard to listen to the Escapist Notion since I'm used to it being instrumental.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
honestly wasn't expecting anything from this band, don't know much about them.

I thought it was supposed to be some sort of super technical, heady, hyper intellectual metal from the guitar play-throughs and the mystic/deep studio updates I saw, but from the 3-4 songs I heard it's pretty much run-of-the-mill tech metal with played out harmonies facilitating catchy killswitch-esque clean vocals.

not saying it's bad, just not what I expected.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't listen to much tech metal so whatever.. album is pretty sick. I like the vocals and lean & mean running time. No filler, no songs that are way worse than everything else on the album (like Ji from periphery 2), singer knows the guitars are doing the work so he isn't going completely over the top all the time. Some really great grooves.

Not crazy about the guitar sound. On the thin side, its lower in the mix than I would expect, and at times it is very choppy. They might have gone overboard on stitching the parts together.. destroys the flow of some riffs. Escapist Notion sounds a lot better in the playthrough video than it does on the album, for instance.

From Vanity to Utility probably my favorite

MDP333

Reaction score
Cool album, great compositional writing. But theoretical conspiracies as vocals, spewing non-factual "truths" is just annoying.

I guess I get it, they're supposed to be mechanical. This non-emotion provoking method is what they're going for I guess, besides the few "Oh shit that was awesome" moments.

I'm just not impressed by big words, and I don't give a shit about the zeitgeist-esque beliefs. Atleast system of a down had the right formula for this approach. Clever and non-invasive, yet you still get what they're saying and you can relate to it. Not so analytical or in your face.

ESP_

Reaction score
I wish there were more clean vocals. The harsh vocal come off as weak to me. Decent album 3 out of 5.

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
The album just came out today and I think it's totally sick! Riffs are so brutal and catchy at the same time.

I've just covered one of my fav riffs off the album, specifically off the last track "Machine Over". Hope you like it ;)

')